Console of the Year: PS4 Wins (TrustedReview)

Uh-huh -- I'm half tempted to finally get a 360 now that the thing is plenty mature, lots of deals to be had, etc etc.. probably the same on the PS3 side I would think. (Of course, being primarily a PC gamer puts me in a "don't need next gen till last gen" mood.)

It's like, beyond shinier graphics, twitch streaming etc, they're really saying a PS4 with its limited library of games is better than a PS3/360 and all their games?

Sony started production before Microsoft. I think the time difference is close to a month or something. If we assume 1M/month production, there should be 1M more PS4s in the wild than XBO.

The latest figures we have are 2M XBO and 2.1M PS4. It's hardly a landslide sales victory for PS4.

This is with the rumored "yield issues" for XBO. Imagine what would have happened if XBO didn't have "yield issues" (tongue firmly in cheek).

The 2.1 Mill mark for PS4 was hit two days after it was released to 32 regions, it sold 1 mill in 24hrs in N.America the week before. It hasn't had any updates on sales numbers since then. Microsoft only recently announced the 2 mill mark. I'd say the gap is wider now considering the time between both announcement of when they hit over 2 mill sales.

I'm not sure what the yield issues have to do with this, I don't think money issues on Microsoft's side would effect sales.

What are you on about with coaxial input?  The Xbox One has no such thing.  Also HDMI splitting isn't correct either, it has HDMI passthrough that allows a TV box to output to a window in the Xbox One's UI...regardless of how useful it is or not (personally I don't care for it) it's not splitting.

I could keep going, but I'm guessing you are trying to compare new features with what the Xbox One brings to the table... Apart from hdmi splitter, coaxial tv input and snap apps its basically an upgraded 360. So I believe the PS4 wins here in the new features department which is probably one of the reasons why it won the Console of the Year award.

Oh and just to follow your lead in rebuttals; I have an amp which does the hdmi splitting (And gives great 7.1 channel sound at the same time), all TV's have a coaxial tv input (so console having one becomes redundant) and my tv also has a tv guide. I'll give you snap apps, even though I would rather open up a webpage on my tablet rather than snap internet explorer onto the screen of my gaming console to browse a webpage and play a game at the same time.

What are you on about with coaxial input?  The Xbox One has no such thing.  Also HDMI splitting isn't correct either, it has HDMI passthrough that allows a TV box to output to a window in the Xbox One's UI...regardless of how useful it is or not (personally I don't care for it) it's not splitting.

Yes this is true. its only a hdmi pass-through and the coaxial input thing was just in regards to the xbox tv features, I was just saying my TV has the inputs to be able to watch TV and has a TV guide so no need for a console to do that. Sorry about the confusion. 

I am aware the Xbox One has only one hdmi input and no actual coaxial inputs. (coaxial cable goes to cable tv box which outputs as hdmi into xbox for the tv features)

is this like official or something?

What is the drive behind this that I should believe the statement?

I don't own either consoles and probably never will but I am curious about this

Your guess is as good as ours.  There doesnt seem to be much merit in this "award" .  No information as to who was polled other than the public.  I'd take it with a grain of salt, look for at least the more reputable sites (even though most of them are biased) if you want to rely on a site to make a $400-$500 purchase

• Like 1

Your guess is as good as ours.  There doesnt seem to be much merit in this "award" .  No information as to who was polled other than the public.  I'd take it with a grain of salt, look for at least the more reputable sites (even though most of them are biased) if you want to rely on a site to make a $400-$500 purchase

It is an official Trusted Review award, it was chosen by TR judges and a separate public vote was made also and the result posted on the article.

Trusted Review is a very reputable site, but no one should rely on awards like these or even public opinion on a $400-500 purchase. Read into the specs on both, see the game line ups and features each have and then try out the console in stores to test them out yourselves before you make a purchase. Like everything else, whats best for someone else isn't always the best for you.

But the sales are saying the same thing

No, they aren't.  Sales are neck and neck, and Microsoft has been the only one able to keep restocking their console, so they're selling faster than Sony is.  I'm really not sure how you don't understand this.

• Like 1

It is an official Trusted Review award, it was chosen by TR judges and a separate public vote was made also and the result posted on the article.

Trusted Review is a very reputable site, but no one should rely on awards like these or even public opinion on a $400-500 purchase. Read into the specs on both, see the game line ups and features each have and then try out the console in stores to test them out yourselves before you make a purchase. Like everything else, whats best for someone else isn't always the best for you.

did they update the info with who was polled?  when I first looked they only offered the results.  Did they poll gamers who owned both systems and then had them vote?  I'd have to imagine that population is fairly small at the moment so any other public poll would either be biased or skewed.  But yes.. no one should rely on a site to determine which system is best.

No, they aren't.  Sales are neck and neck, and Microsoft has been the only one able to keep restocking their console, so they're selling faster than Sony is.  I'm really not sure how you don't understand this.

Sony announced over 2.1 million PS4s have been sold more than two weeks ago, Microsoft announced 2 mill X1s have been sold less than a week ago, even if they made the announcements at the same time the PS4 would've still sold more. I'm not sure how you don't understand this.. 

Sony is stocking more regions, so maybe Microsoft is able to restock more consoles at regions like US, Australia and a few others but that doesn't mean Sony isn't building just as much consoles. Sony is just more spread out and probably because of this stock is extremely low / non-existent in some regions while the xbox one can be purchased just by walking into a retail store. (Like Australia)

Sony announced over 2.1 million PS4s have been sold more than two weeks ago, Microsoft announced 2 mill X1s have been sold less than a week ago, even if they made the announcements at the same time the PS4 would've still sold more. I'm not sure how you don't understand this..

The difference between what they actually sold (fact) versus what these "trusted" polls (opinion) are saying is huge. You can't use one to "prove" the other. About as trustworthy as those software sites that have all sorts of "awards" that 99% of the world hasn't heard about plastered all over them.

Sony is stocking more regions, so maybe Microsoft is able to restock more consoles at regions like US, Australia and a few others but that doesn't mean Sony isn't building just as much consoles. Sony is just more spread out and probably because of this stock is extremely low / non-existent in some regions where the xbox one can be purchased from inside a retail store without requiring a pre-order from months ago. (Like Australia)

X sells 2M consoles in 13 countries and has plenty more in stock

P sells 2.1M consoles in 30 countries and has no more in stock

in essence both are selling neck to neck. Rest of your post has no bearing on reality. You don't have to look farther than Sony's hesitance to reveal latest US sales figure.

• Like 2

I can't believe everyone is getting so turned around with this.  They got a thumbs up from a website and that's great for Sony!  Sales are neck and neck, which is great for both consoles!  You could say that the Xbox One is the console of Neowin if you look at the front page poll, but what does that really mean?  About the same as this award.  

Console of the year is a moot point, but why not, good for PS4. I just got her yesterday and am in love! Amazing device. I'm sure X1 is equally great, though right now don't feel the need to get it. Am craving a Wii U big time. And allow me this opportunity to also congratulate all neowin members who got a PS4, have fun and appreciate the huge progress our hobby is making. wish every tech area made such huge strides as computing/gaming.