Photo

You can't be Santa -- Santa is White

new mexico high school student disciplinary action stupid mistake mythical character

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#16 thomastmc

thomastmc

Unofficial Attorney of Neowin

• 1,329 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 928

Posted 16 December 2013 - 23:21

Jesus is the colour of whoever happens to worship him. He's White in the West; Christianity is growing in China and if you look at the mosaic art in Church windows in China, Jesus and his disciples are all Chinese.

And, Abraham Lincoln was black. At least, to those of us who admire him...

The fact that people ignore reality in religion is of no surprise. The reality is that Jesus was not white though, no matter how wrong they have it in the West or in Asia.

#17 Mr.XXIV

Mr.XXIV

Shine bright like Iron Man.

• 2,669 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 16 December 2013 - 23:22

See why I've ranted about racism on here and some apparently say it's our fault?

#18 simplezz

simplezz

Neowinian Senior

• 3,185 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 23:25

Santa is Turkish.

But, feel free to continue.

Technically he was Greek. Although born in asia minor, his parents were greek and he was brought up in the greek culture of that region.

As far as the ethnicity of constume wearer's is concerned, I can't see what the fuss is. What does it matter the colour of someone's skin, we're all human after all. I'm firmly on the kid's side in this case.

#19 Menge

Menge

Neowinian Senior

• 3,205 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 16 December 2013 - 23:27

A glib teacher who should've left the kid playing Santa alone (most depictions of Santa are white, but what's the harm?!);
Inverted-racist parents who made a big fuss of it (the teacher wasn't being racist. He was just conforming to the majority of Santa depictions...);
A society who is just too racist/sexist/whateverist trigger happy.

The mind boggles...

#20 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• 3,969 posts
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack/Core i7 4790K/16GB DDR3 1600/Samsung 840 Pro 128GB x 2 - Raid 0/Transcend M.2 256GB/ASRock Z97E-ITXac/GTX 760
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 16 December 2013 - 23:39

I wasn't aware of Santa being real... Even if he were... You don't need the race of the actor to match that of the character...

Agree with you on Santa. But there are two characters who are white and one who is black for sure: Tell Wil Smith that James West (played by Robert Conrad in the Wild Wild West) and Captain James T. Kirk, are white. Though James T. like green ... women. And Shaft, Shaft is black.

Other than that, I'm color neutral, just know how to act.

One more thing, Sulu is Asian. You can't have a black or a white actor play Sulu.

/s

#21 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 34,333 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 23:40

So, can a white guy play Malcolm X?

#22 Knive Party

Knive Party

To Death

• 5,294 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S2 CM

Posted 16 December 2013 - 23:47

does it really matter? Who teaches their children about Santa anymore... 

#23 +DConnell

DConnell

Madman with a blue box

• 2,108 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 1520 running Windows Phone 8.1

Posted 16 December 2013 - 23:51

For cryin' out loud! Let the kid have his fun! St. Nickolaus, on whom Santa is based, may have been white, but that doesn't mean a black kid can't dress up as Santa! Christmas is supposed to be a time of goodwill to all!

But still, the teacher shouldn't be fired simply for being stupid and insensitive. I'd call that an eye for an eyelash.

#24 +DConnell

DConnell

Madman with a blue box

• 2,108 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 1520 running Windows Phone 8.1

Posted 16 December 2013 - 23:53

The fact that people ignore reality in religion is of no surprise. The reality is that Jesus was not white though, no matter how wrong they have it in the West or in Asia.

Jesus was Hebrew, so yes, he was dark-skinned.

#25 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• 10,444 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 17 December 2013 - 00:03

As long as they don't put black paint on their face.

#26 Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Assistant Special Agent Chicken in charge

• 3,699 posts
  • Phone: Motorola MicroTAC Elite

Posted 17 December 2013 - 00:13

I am pretty sure Santa is a Chicken, or else how does his sleigh get off the ground with only reindeer

#27 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• 3,969 posts
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack/Core i7 4790K/16GB DDR3 1600/Samsung 840 Pro 128GB x 2 - Raid 0/Transcend M.2 256GB/ASRock Z97E-ITXac/GTX 760

Posted 17 December 2013 - 00:16

Not applicable. Malcolm X was a real person and he was black. Talking about fictional characters ...

#28 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• 3,969 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 00:23

I don't do the honorary black dude thing (hear me Richie Incognito). Lincoln was white. What he did has nothing to do with the color of his skin. Nor, half the country who did the right thing, sheltered runaway slaves at risk to their own family. All that. And if there's ever anyone whose physical appearance is irrelevant it's Jesus, who, based on where he lived and his occupation while in the flesh, was a somewhat sturdily built arab-ish dude. Enough of that. Back on topic, I think Clark Griswald could be black but if I was the actor I'd be like, hey, keep Beverly DeAngelo ...

#29 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 34,333 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 00:30

Not applicable. Malcolm X was a real person and he was black. Talking about fictional characters ...

Fully applicable.  Both are recognised icons and roles defined by a very specific look.

#30 thomastmc

thomastmc

Unofficial Attorney of Neowin

• 1,329 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 928

Posted 17 December 2013 - 00:52

I don't do the honorary black dude thing (hear me Richie Incognito). Lincoln was white. What he did has nothing to do with the color of his skin. Nor, half the country who did the right thing, sheltered runaway slaves at risk to their own family. All that. And if there's ever anyone whose physical appearance is irrelevant it's Jesus, who, based on where he lived and his occupation while in the flesh, was a somewhat sturdily built arab-ish dude. Enough of that. Back on topic, I think Clark Griswald could be black but if I was the actor I'd be like, hey, keep Beverly DeAngelo ...

I was being sarcastic about Abraham Lincoln. If Jesus can be an honorary white and/or Asian person, why not make Lincoln an honorary black person? Because both examples are equally ridiculous, is my point.

Which one of these persons is unlike the others... Lincoln, Jesus, Caesar, Santa Claus... I'd totally agree that it's irrelevant in relation to this topic :)

BTW, I don't think any white guy other than Chevy Chase could pull off Clark Griswold, let alone a black guy. Maybe Steve Martin, maybe. The guy from the Office and Hangover, is a very remote possibility. Clark Griswold is who Richard Pryor or Chris Rock are imitating when they do their white guy impressions, and while it's funny to watch for brief bits on stage, Chevy Chase was so great because he was so believable as that person.