OS X Mavericks v10.9.1 Update Available

• Improved support for Gmail in OS X Mail, and fixes for users with custom Gmail settings

Improves the reliability of Smart Mailboxes and search in Mail

Fixes an issue that prevented contact groups from working properly in Mail

Resolves an issue that prevented VoiceOver from speaking sentences that contain emoji

Fixes an issue that prevented iLife and iWork apps from updating on non-English systems

Addresses an issue that may cause multiple prompts to unlock ?Local items? keychain 

Addresses an issue that may cause Japanese keyboards to retain a previously used language

Includes Safari 7.0.1

• Fixes an issue that could cause Safari to become unresponsive when filling out forms on fedex.com, stubhub.com, and other websites

Improves Credit Card Autofill compatibility with websites

Improves VoiceOver compatibility with facebook.com 

Updates Shared Links periodically when open in the Safari Sidebar

Additional change log for us, hackintoshers :)

• OS X Build 13B42
  • 13.0.0 Darwin kernel- not updated.
  • Updated Intel graphics drivers
  • NVIDIA and AMD graphics drivers not updated
  • This update will replace your audio drivers.
    • You will have to reinstall AppleHDA using MultiBeast before or after reboot
    • If you use VoodooHDA, you will not need to make any modifications

All I want them to do is fix the smb file share problem.  Is that too much to ask.  I cannot stand that I have to use cifs to connect to a nas drive or to a windows file share.

I'm able to connect to my windows shares fine...

I'm able to connect to my windows shares fine...

And how many folders and files does that share have in it?  Try opening a share that has 20 folders in it with another 10 folders nested with that and 100 or so files in it and then see how long it takes for your mac to populate it.  When my mac mini had mountain lion on it it took seconds to populate my nas, now with mavericks it won't even attempt it.  The beach ball of death just happens.  The apple forums are full of this issue.

With afp being depreciated, apple's implementation of smb sucks.  The only to truly use it is to use the older cifs protocol.

And how many folders and files does that share have in it?  Try opening a share that has 20 folders in it with another 10 folders nested with that and 100 or so files in it and then see how long it takes for your mac to populate it.  When my mac mini had mountain lion on it it took seconds to populate my nas, now with mavericks it won't even attempt it.  The beach ball of death just happens.  The apple forums are full of this issue.

With afp being depreciated, apple's implementation of smb sucks.  The only to truly use it is to use the older cifs protocol.

Its got all my media on it, plenty of folders and large files (music, movies etc..) and I'm on a wireless connection. I use it all the time to stream video to my laptop. Pops right up when I open it.

Only issues I have is for some reason the share randomly doesn't show up in my finder sidebar (usually after I suspend/resume). But I just created a shortcut to the share on my dock that connects to the share when I click it to get around that, and for some reason it takes like 30-40 seconds to connect to the share after a suspend/resume (but only if it was already mounted before the suspend/resume, if it wasn't it will connect instantly).

Its got all my media on it, plenty of folders and large files (music, movies etc..) and I'm on a wireless connection. I use it all the time to stream video to my laptop. Pops right up when I open it.

I can even access through my iPhone on an app like FileExplorer.

Only issues I have is for some reason the share randomly doesn't show up in my finder sidebar (usually after I suspend/resume). But I just created a shortcut to the share on my dock that connects to the share when I click it to get around that, and for some reason it takes like 30-40 seconds to connect to the share after a suspend/resume (but only if it was already mounted before the suspend/resume, if it wasn't it will connect instantly).

I'd say the most likely explanation is the cached servers are discarded on waking up and the service goes out searching again for the servers. Is assume this is done to avoid having redundant servers appearing when a user closes their laptop, goes somewhere, then reopens at the new location.

I'd say the most likely explanation is the cached servers are discarded on waking up and the service goes out searching again for the servers. Is assume this is done to avoid having redundant servers appearing when a user closes their laptop, goes somewhere, then reopens at the new location.

Plausible explanation except that this is an issue with more than just macbook pros and airs.  This is effecting mac minis and iMacs.  And it doesn't just happen when a machine goes to sleep/resumes but when it actually connects.  This issue is actually Apple's implementation of the smb2 protocol.  Using cifs or forcing afp and this doesn't happen.  Once Apple completely retires afp then smb2 is what will be used.  They really need to fix this.  Using the cifs method is very slow.

Plausible explanation except that this is an issue with more than just macbook pros and airs.  This is effecting mac minis and iMacs.  And it doesn't just happen when a machine goes to sleep/resumes but when it actually connects.  This issue is actually Apple's implementation of the smb2 protocol.  Using cifs or forcing afp and this doesn't happen.  Once Apple completely retires afp then smb2 is what will be used.  They really need to fix this.  Using the cifs method is very slow.

True - what I'm surprised about is why it is so bad because I would have thought given that it was an in-house non-GPL written SMB2 implementation that Microsoft would be a lot more forthcoming with providing specifications, testing, maybe some code etc. to improve compatibility. End of the day I always get the feeling that the SMB2 experience will always end up crappy because it'll never be straight from Microsoft which begs me to wonder whether Apple needs to develop a server and client that can run on Windows servers such as the iFolder [link] or maybe even putting some life back into NFS by working with Oracle and IBM to make it a lot more user friendly in much the same way that SMB operates easily on Windows today.

For me it *only* happens when connecting after a sleep/resume (and only when the share was already connected before sleep). At all other times the same share connects instantly for me.

I'm also having a complete nightmare with smb2 when connecting to my windows shares at work (windows server 2008) when i connect to windows 8.1 shares at home it's fine.

For me it *only* happens when connecting after a sleep/resume (and only when the share was already connected before sleep). At all other times the same share connects instantly for me.

I'm also having a complete nightmare with smb2 when connecting to my windows shares at work (windows server 2008) when i connect to windows 8.1 shares at home it's fine.

Well...at least we can agree that it is an issue and that I am not imagining it.  Now, if we can just get Apple to fix this.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having the following odd problems with 10.9.1:

* My trash bin in my task bar does not show anything in it right after deleting something or even dragging and dropping a file there.  Command-clicking does not reveal an "Empty Trash" option.  If I click on the Trash, it comes up with a finder window revealing all the deleted files and I can click on an "Empty Trash" button there.

* Sometimes I can get LaunchPad to hang between icon screens when doing the swipe left/right gesture on my traskpad.

I might need to do a full reinstall of the OS.  It feels like it is about that time.

No problems here with the update (applied to GM Mavericks with VoodooHDA).  Also, I can confirm that VoodooHDA *does* work with Creative SoundCore-based PCI-E DSPs (as it should - since it is known to support any reference implementation of the Intel or Apple HDA spec; for once, Creative actually went bog-standard across the board with SoundCore).

All I want them to do is fix the smb file share problem.  Is that too much to ask.  I cannot stand that I have to use cifs to connect to a nas drive or to a windows file share.

No issues for me. How are you connecting to your smb share?