• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• 15,291 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 19:15

Source: http://www.macrumors...-us-in-the-gut/

"The 64-bit Apple chip hit us in the gut," says the Qualcomm employee. "Not just us, but everyone, really. We were slack-jawed, and stunned, and unprepared. It’s not that big a performance difference right now, since most current software won’t benefit. But in Spinal Tap terms it’s like, 32 more, and now everyone wants it."

[...]

"The roadmap for 64-bit was nowhere close to Apple’s, since no one thought it was that essential," the Qualcomm insider says. "The evolution was going to be steady. Sure, it’s neat, it’s the future, but it’s not really essential for conditions now."

But once Apple introduced a 64-bit processor, all the other phone-makers wanted one too. "Apple kicked everybody in the balls with this. It’s being downplayed, but it set off panic in the industry."

#2 fusi0n

fusi0n

Don't call it a come back

• 3,901 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 17 December 2013 - 19:19

Yeah, I can totally see that.. 

#3 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• 15,641 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 19:21

Basic psychology of want, not because I need, but because I want. Eg. I want what he has, just cause I don't have it.

#4 OP Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• 15,291 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 19:23

Basic psychology of want, not because I need, but because I want. Eg. I want what he has, just cause I don't have it.

Its like most analyst said: 64-bit makes little-to-no-difference but you can bet money that all the flag ship Android phones next year are going to be sporting it in response to Apple.

#5 Mr.XXIV

Mr.XXIV

Shine bright like Iron Man.

• 2,668 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 17 December 2013 - 19:27

Its like most analyst said: 64-bit makes little-to-no-difference but you can bet money that all the flag ship Android phones next year are going to be sporting it in response to Apple.

This. If anyone argues so much about who does it first who does it right on here when it comes to Apple vs Android, it's me. Just like every release of an iDevice, how many Android devices have you seen try to follow a feature right after? HTC Fingerprint for example. Apple may not have done the fingerprint first, but they did it right which made others attempt to follow.

#6 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• 15,641 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 19:29

Pretty much.

Sad that when everyone else points out how useless at the moment 64 bit makes in smartphone OSes, they get bashed.

#7 Melfster

Melfster

Neowinian Senior

• 1,717 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 19:34

Even quad cores are overkill.  64 bit is getting ready for when phones need more then 4 gigabytes in memory. 

#8 +Majesticmerc

Majesticmerc

Resident Idealist

• 6,197 posts
  • Phone: HTC One X

Posted 17 December 2013 - 19:35

I can see that. Apple touted 64-bit goodness as a major selling point, and relevant or not, if other smartphones don't have 64-bit processors, they'll all be have-nots.

#9 drlacus

drlacus

The doctor

• 428 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 17 December 2013 - 19:38

It is the same old thing again. This situation is like, when you have two balls which look exactly the same and you will need the heavier in the future. Your friend drops the balls from a skyscraper and you are waiting for them on the ground. At this moment, as technology goes, the balls are still falling and there is no difference between them, but when they hit the ground and the software will begin to harness the benefits of 64 bit technology, you will need the heavy stuff.

Apple, yet again, tried to flash its E-penis and painted the ball red. Now everyone wants a falling red ball even if it does not matter. How easily distractable customers are. 64 bit is twice as much as 32, it must be soooooooooooo much better!

#10 +Bryan R.

Bryan R.

Neowinian Senior

• 4,615 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 19:45

It's hard to quantify just how much this will matter in a year or two. When AMD introduced 64-bit desktop CPUs it wasn't "needed" either but it jump started the industry and competition and soon after it was a necessity. 

#11 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

• 6,452 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 17 December 2013 - 19:46

Some of that is at play yes, but technology is also a chicken or egg industry...

What should come first? Software that needs 64bit or chips that support 64bit? See the conundrum?

Usually software waits for the hardware to exist before they start exploiting it. So the sooner we get 64bit hardware the sooner we'll get applications that take advantage of it. We can't accurately say if the advances will be useful or not yet because we don't yet have them...

#12 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• 19,435 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 19:46

Samsung already announced 64bit.  But this is normal no matter what industry you work in.  Someone produces something, others find value and add it to their products.

#13 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• 10,789 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 17 December 2013 - 19:47

and then Windows Phone will be reviewed poorly for using "only" 32bit processors. :laugh:

#14 Sandor

Sandor

Neowinian Senior

• 3,995 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 19:49

and then Windows Phone will be reviewed poorly for using "only" 32bit processors. :laugh:

It'll still run like shi... off a shovel though.

Intelligent design > "MORE BIG NUMBERS!"

#15 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• 8,054 posts
  • Phone: Android (4.4.2)

Posted 17 December 2013 - 19:50

This. If anyone argues so much about who does it first who does it right on here when it comes to Apple vs Android, it's me. Just like every release of an iDevice, how many Android devices have you seen try to follow a feature right after? HTC Fingerprint for example. Apple may not have done the fingerprint first, but they did it right which made others attempt to follow.

My Motorola Atrix finger print worked fine.  2 years before the iPhone 5.