wipers

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 17,859 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 20:16

McLaren, the British company famous for its supercars and its involvement with Formula One racing, is focusing on fine-tuning the details: windshield wipers, to be exact. The company is reportedly working on a windshield wiper system that would make physical wipers obsolete.

The system is expected to use high-frequency sound waves, similar to ultrasounds used by doctors to scan unborn babies, to create tiny vibrations on the screen that would bounce off rain, debris, and insects. Not only does this improve visibility, but it also eliminates the windshield wiper motor in traditional cars and cuts fuel costs. McLaren would be the first to bring this kind of technology to consumer cars, but the system isn't totally new. Military vehicles like fighter jets have similar windshield wiping technology built in, and as McLaren chief designer Frank Stephenson told The Sunday Times, it's an "electronic system that never fails" and leaves nothing attached to the windshield.

Unfortunately, the McLaren range of sports cars set to feature the system probably won't debut before 2015. So for now we're stuck battling with our creaky windshield wipers, but in the future, cleaning the snow and ice off your windshield could be a completely automated — and easy — hands-off task.

http://www.theverge....iper-technology

#2 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,372 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 17 December 2013 - 20:18

Guessing this would work great in cold countries with instant icing on the windows on certain days or thick snow.... No, it won't...

#3 B0mberman

B0mberman

Silence is the key to Wisdom

• 5,151 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S2 CM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 20:19

well, good! 

#4 Reverend Spam

Reverend Spam

Neowinian Senior

• 3,921 posts
  • Phone: Droid Bionic

Posted 17 December 2013 - 20:21

Want.  :-p

#5 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• 15,834 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1

Posted 17 December 2013 - 20:23

it also wont do you any good if the car is off when say a bird poops on it or anything like that.

#6 +TruckWEB

TruckWEB

Neowinian Senior

• 4,398 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 20:26

Guessing this would work great in cold countries with instant icing on the windows on certain days or thick snow.... No, it won't...

I don't think you're going to drive a McLaren on icy roads or snow....

#7 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 8,022 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 20:29

It might clear beads of rain, but it won't clear dirt or everything else that isn't clear.

The only solution I can think of that would obsolete wipers would be to coat the windshield with something similar to Never Wet (http://www.neverwet.com/).

#8 Soldiers33

Soldiers33

Neowinian Senior

• 2,433 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 20:37

so it will save fuel from wiping yet somehow using super sonic sound waves would be cheaper :s

#9 XerXis

XerXis

Neowinian Senior

• 5,049 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 20:37

If it works on fighter jets it will work in cold countries ;)

#10 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• 17,473 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 17 December 2013 - 20:49

Ah here we have HawkMan who always knows everything better than the rest of the world. Such a relief you're still here to show mankind the way. We'd all be lost without you.  :ike:

#11 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• 6,595 posts
  • OS: Win 8, Win 7, Vista, OSX, iOS, Android, WP8 and various Linux distro's
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 17 December 2013 - 21:00

I'm no expert in high frequency sound waves (believe it or not) but i'm not sure how this would work for dried on bird sh*t?

#12 D. S.

D. S.

Hate is the new Love

• 3,284 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 113

Posted 17 December 2013 - 21:45

I'm no expert in high frequency sound waves (believe it or not) but i'm not sure how this would work for dried on bird sh*t?

McLaren will incorporate a Peregrine Falcon in a side compartment to watch over each car and stop birds from pooping on it. That's what I would require in order to justify their asking price.

#13 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• 6,595 posts
  • OS: Win 8, Win 7, Vista, OSX, iOS, Android, WP8 and various Linux distro's
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 17 December 2013 - 21:50

McLaren will incorporate a Peregrine Falcon in side compartment to watch over each car and stop birds from pooping on it. That's what I would require in order to justify their asking price.

Thank god for that. I'll take two!

#14 B0mberman

B0mberman

Silence is the key to Wisdom

• 5,151 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S2 CM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 23:22

McLaren will incorporate a Peregrine Falcon in a side compartment to watch over each car and stop birds from pooping on it. That's what I would require in order to justify their asking price.

:D

#15 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,372 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:59

If it works on fighter jets it will work in cold countries ;)

Fighter jets are parked in small hangars, wiped down before flight if there's snow on the canopy, and then they fly to fast for snow or under frozen rain to stick to the canopy.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!