montana usa super-volcano destruction global event geological survey

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 17:08

thankfully statistically it will never happen in our lifetimes :D so we have that going for us.

With my luck it'll happen any day now. 

#17 soumyasch

soumyasch

Neowinian

• 676 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 17:41

I so wish I get to see it blow up, in person, really close. :p

#18 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,887 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 23:08

Yellowstone is seriously ready to blow at any time.

Nuke it before it can nuke us !

#19 thomastmc

thomastmc

Unofficial Attorney of Neowin

• 1,329 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 928

Posted 23 December 2013 - 23:49

^ very likely. Taking off the pressure could make the gases dissolved in the magma begin to boil out, rapidly. Think in terms of opening an 18 mile wide bottle of Coca Cola that has been dropped a few times.

It's actually not "very likely". The truth is it's probably less than likely. If only it was as simple as a bottle of Coca Cola...

ROME—A project to drill deep into the heart of a “supervolcano” in southern Italy has finally received the green light, despite claims that the drilling would put the population of Naples at risk of small earthquakes or an explosion. Yesterday, Italian news agency ANSA quoted project coordinator Giuseppe De Natale of Italy’s National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology as saying that the office of Naples mayor Luigi de Magistris has approved the drilling of a pilot hole 500 meters deep.

The project’s organizers originally intended to bore a 4-kilometer-deep well in the area of the caldera late in 2009, but the plan was put on hold by then-mayor Rosa Russo Iervolino after scientists expressed concerns about the risks.

Among the critics was Benedetto De Vivo, a geochemist at the University of Naples, who told Science in 2010 that the drilling might cause seismic activity or generate an explosion if it allowed the high-pressure supercritical fluids expected to exist at depths of about 3 kilometers or more to come into contact with magma inside the caldera. “Nobody can say how bad this explosion would be, but it could put at risk some of the surrounding population,” he said. De Vivo added that he didn’t understand why the well was to be located on the grounds of the former Bagnoli steel mill, on the western outskirts of Naples, and not farther west. (De Vivo did not state that the study might trigger an eruption of the supervolcano.)

Collaboration member Ulrich Harms of the German Research Centre for Geosciences in Potsdam said at the time that if the drilling is done in a controlled way, “there is no risk to the public.” He pointed out that many multikilometer wells have been drilled around the world in order to extract geothermal energy, and that these have not caused explosions. He believes the project makes scientific sense: “It’s not clear if there is a volcanic risk, but it cannot be excluded, and this is why it is better to get more of an idea.”

http://news.sciencem...go-ahead?ref=ra

#20 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:40

I so wish I get to see it blow up, in person, really close. :p

Reminds me of that guy in the 2012 movie that was broadcasting from the top of the mountain when it exploded.