My wireless keyboard & portable HDD wont work together.

My keyboard (Logitech K350) will work if my portable Western Digital HDD (this one) isn't plugged in.

My portable HDD will work regardless.

I've taken my keyboard USB dongle out of the USB 3.0 slot (i have 2) & put it in another (2.0) slot. They still wont work together.

Basically i type on my keyboard & nothing happens.

How to put right?

My keyboard (Logitech K350) will work if my portable Western Digital HDD (this one) isn't plugged in.

My portable HDD will work regardless.

I've taken my keyboard USB dongle out of the USB 3.0 slot (i have 2) & put it in another (2.0) slot. They still wont work together.

Basically i type on my keyboard & nothing happens.

How to put right?

Is there any error in device manager?

Does the hard drive draw it's power directly from the usb? (Usb ports can provide some power for usb hard drives, but not necessarily all the power the drive needs so it could be a consideration)

Does the keyboard work if the hard drive is plugged to usb 2.0?

Do you have a powered by mains usb hub you can try?

There's always better troubleshooters than me, but it's just a few things you could try while you're waiting :)

post-37542-0-35214500-1387366744.jpg

* Power is only from USB

* Yes, so it seems (just tried it), although i want USB 3.0 connectivity as that's why i bought this (or one of the reasons anyway).

* No i don't

"Yes, so it seems (just tried it), although i want USB 3.0 connectivity as that's why i bought this (or one of the reasons anyway). "

Assuming that reply is to the question of does the portable hard drive work when plugged into a usb 2.0, then I would also assume that the portable drive ISN'T usb 3.0 compatible, although I would assume again that it should be backwards compatible and still work, unless it's causing some unseen conflict.

Yes that's the question i was answering.

As for its USB 3.0 compatibility (or not)...

Interface USB 2.0/3.0

With an ultra-fast USB 3.0 connection you can expect rapid data transfers on the WD My Passport Ultra and it is USB 2.0 compatible too.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/external/portable/

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=1000

So unless the manufacturer is lying, it is USB 3.0 compatible.