Colorado Judge Rules in Favor of Holding Drone-Hunting Vote

A Colorado town has been given the go-ahead for a public vote on whether they will issue drone hunting permits for $25.

Under the guidelines of the ordinance, any registered drone hunter would be given $100 if he presents "identifiable parts of an unmanned aerial vehicle whose markings and configuration are consistent with those used on any similar craft known to be owned or operated by the United States federal government."

More and source: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/12/18/colorado-town-gets-ok-to-hold-drone-hunting-vote-after-legal-fight/?intcmp=latestnews

• Like 1

While this whole idea might sound crazy on the surface, what it boils down to is innocent U.S. citizens not wanting to be tracked or spied on by their government, and I think that we can all respect that aspect of it. 

While this whole idea might sound crazy on the surface, what it boils down to is innocent U.S. citizens not wanting to be tracked or spied on by their government, and I think that we can all respect that aspect of it. 

Not really. It's done by the US in other countries. Only seems fair to do it in the US as well or offer other countries a similar offer of a hunting permit. 

Perhaps even a reward for returning a drone to the US? 

Not really. It's done by the US in other countries. Only seems fair to do it in the US as well or offer other countries a similar offer of a hunting permit. 

I'm not sure I understand; are you saying that the motivation of these residents in Colorado is something other than not wanting the government looking down on them from above?

What guns exactly do private American citizens own that can shoot down high altitude government drones like the predator...

I wouldn't put it past some folks in Colorado to have the (illegal) firepower to take down a military style drone.

I'm not sure I understand; are you saying that the motivation of these residents in Colorado is something other than not wanting the government looking down on them from above?

I'm saying why should they protest to it now when it's been done by the US on other countries for years? 

Unless they're using RC type drones like the FBI, I really don't see it doing much anywho. 

I'm saying why should they protest to it now when it's been done by the US on other countries for years? 

Unless they're using RC type drones I really don't see it doing much anywho. 

Because it wasn't personal for them until now.

Because it wasn't personal for them until now.

"I'd really like to see this go through," said Deer Trail Mayor Frank Fields. "For the, you know, benefit of the town, make a little extra income." 

There's a guy who respects privacy :P 

"I'd really like to see this go through," said Deer Trail Mayor Frank Fields. "For the, you know, benefit of the town, make a little extra income." 

There's a guy who respects privacy :p

LOL :P I don't know how much money the mayor expects to see from this, at $25 a license and only 370 people who can vote. If 10% of those get a license, that's still less than $1000 for the town.

Drone hunting permits?  Okie dokie, just what we need.  Shooting into the air, shooting at a low flying plane by mistake, etc.

Will this be all year long or will there be a specific season.  (Got to catch those naked terrorists during the hot summer sunbathing.)

• Like 4

Perhaps even a reward for returning a drone to the US? 

Well it's just the local government that is doing it, the feds can still get you for shooting one down.  Also, we saw how well asking for our drone back went when Iran captured one, lol.

I don't think we ought to be spying on innocent people.  Should we use them to gather intelligence on the battlefield?  Absolutely.  Should we use them to make sure our farmers aren't planting un-authorized non-sterilized seeds in their fields, or to spy on civilians of other countries we're not at war with?  Absolutely not.

I think everybody can agree the US surveillance practices are out of hand.

• Like 2

LOL :p I don't know how much money the mayor expects to see from this, at $25 a license and only 370 people who can vote. If 10% of those get a license, that's still less than $1000 for the town.

You probably don't have to be a resident to purchase a permit. They'll be flooded with permit applications from all over the country, even if they aren't technically valid.

Same thing with the manned suicide mission to Mars... tons of people applied, even with the relatively high application fee. I'm sure they did it just to be able to say they did.

Unless they're using RC type drones like the FBI, I really don't see it doing much anywho. 

Because individual citizens can do anything about that now matter how we feel about it. Maybe we don't like that it has happened in other countries but what exactly do you think we can do about it?

The ones flying over the US maybe we can do something about those, yeah?

Is it specific to Drones? What if some private citizen happens to be a model aircraft enthusiast?

Then flying your RC plane is about to get a lot more interesting :D

• Like 1

I have a suspicion that the way this is set up is that holding a permit grants the owner license to shoot at drones, but does not give them protection against any damages that the owner of the drone might attempt to collect from the shooter. One may conceivably hunt wild, undomesticated drones without fear of prosecution. At the same time, anyone who does not hold a permit is liable to be fined if they attempt to shoot at a drone.

At face value, I think it really is a bit of harmless fun. As always, the fear is that some idiot gets more gun than their brain can handle and discharges it in an irresponsible manner, permit or none.

• Like 2

I wouldn't put it past some folks in Colorado to have the (illegal) firepower to take down a military style drone.

I'm pretty sure no civilians own AA missiles, even in America ;)

I'm pretty sure no civilians own AA missiles, even in America ;)

I believe the drones are probably more like the quad copters you can purchase from hobby stores. Not the Reaper type drones a lot of us are thinking of. 

The FBI have used them before to surveil the US population. 

Guess the FBI can just fly them at night and not be seen/shot it?