Colorado Judge Rules in Favor of Holding Drone-Hunting Vote

What's next? Legally being able to shoot down a commercial aircraft just for the fun of it?

but commercial aircraft:

• contain living critters (humans)
  • generally doesn't try to make surveillance attempt
  • doesn't fly as low altitude as most drones

What's next? Legally being able to shoot down a commercial aircraft just for the fun of it?

Those have people on board, so it would be one count of murder per individual on board.  I don't think this will actually go anywhere, for a couple reasons.  1) Drones can fly at altitudes well above what a conventional firearm can reach, even a .50 BMG, plus they're moving.  2) It's still a federal crime to shoot down a drone, and although states are breaking federal law by legalizing weed and getting away with it, it's not really costing the feds anything so they can look the other way.  Those drones are EXPENSIVE, and if one gets shot down, you can bet there will be hell to pay.

I can see "why" they're considering this, but I think they'd have more luck in the court-room than shooting at these things.

I've actually kind of been waiting to see if DocM would weigh in on this, I'm curious to see what he thinks.

I believe the drones are probably more like the quad copters you can purchase from hobby stores. Not the Reaper type drones a lot of us are thinking of.

The FBI have used them before to surveil the US population.

Guess the FBI can just fly them at night and not be seen/shot it?

Small drones like that are not used for surveillance, but for tactical assistance before and during an operation. You'd have to be pretty stupid to mess with a FBI tactical team getting ready to take someone down, that or the target, but then you're going down anyway.

Small drones like that are not used for surveillance, but for tactical assistance before and during an operation. You'd have to be pretty stupid to mess with a FBI tactical team getting ready to take someone down, that or the target, but then you're going down anyway.

Right you are though it does say on occasion they've used Predator drones but I don't see this vote doing much other than publicity. 

Drone hunting permits?  Okie dokie, just what we need.  Shooting into the air, shooting at a low flying plane by mistake, etc.

Will this be all year long or will there be a specific season.  (Got to catch those naked terrorists during the hot summer sunbathing.)

The thing is if they use the drones like they use in Pakistan, they fly thousands of feet in the air. You'd never be able to hit one with any kind of hunting rifle or shotgun.

Just a way for the local gov't to take your $25.00. :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure that anyone who shoots down a drone in the US would be in a huge amount of trouble.

Okay, let's say that I have got a "Drone Hunting Permit", and I go out and shoot down a reaper type drone. Those drones cost $16.9 million dollars per unit. What exactly is stopping the federal government from coming after me with 'Destruction of Government Property' charges? Because the penalty for that is (depending on if the damage exceeds $100) a fine of up to $250,000 dollars, ten years imprisonment, or both.

When you consider the above; all of sudden the $100 dollar for shooting a drone is not that attractive.

This is a reaper drone:

Reaper-Drone.jpg

What is the outcome of this? Obviously federal law overturns State Laws, but how can a State legalise something thats against federal law? Would the state stand up for an individual if they managed to bring down a Government drone?

post-350302-0-73112600-1387596995.jpg

Okay, let's say that I have got a "Drone Hunting Permit", and I go out and shoot down a reaper type drone. Those drones cost $16.9 million dollars per unit. What exactly is stopping the federal government from coming after me with 'Destruction of Government Property' charges? Because the penalty for that is (depending on if the damage exceeds $100) a fine of up to $250,000 dollars, ten years imprisonment, or both.

When you consider the above; all of sudden the $100 dollar for shooting a drone is not that attractive.

This is a reaper drone:

Reaper-Drone.jpg

Never mind the AA missile they would need to shoot it down is significantly more expensive than a 100 dollars.

What is the outcome of this? Obviously federal law overturns State Laws, but how can a State legalise something thats against federal law? Would the state stand up for an individual if they managed to bring down a Government drone?

attachicon.gifFriendly_PREDATOR_MISSILE_by_adrak.jpg

States are legalizing marijuana, which is against federal law, but they're not hurting anybody and the feds have said they won't pursue it.  However, shoot down a multi-million dollar un-manned aircraft because your local laws say you can, and see how fast the feds decide to pursue you, lol.

States are legalizing marijuana, which is against federal law, but they're not hurting anybody and the feds have said they won't pursue it.  However, shoot down a multi-million dollar un-manned aircraft because your local laws say you can, and see how fast the feds decide to pursue you, lol.

but i doubt fed can extract much money from the hunters though