Heat concerns about the new Mac Pro's design

mac pro

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#16 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 14
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 19 December 2013 - 14:27

A valid concern (other than heat) would be for instance, you are holding a glass of soda and you knock into something causing the soda spill into the mac pro top hole. A $1.50 soda causing $3000 of damage. Hopefully the mac pros come with covers, which I'd imagine they do

wdcc.png

#17 +FiB3R

FiB3R

aka DARKFiB3R

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Lumia 930

Posted 19 December 2013 - 14:31

LOL

#18 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 19 December 2013 - 14:33

More absolutely unfounded nonsense.  Do you want to sue them?

#19 OP Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Assistant Special Agent Chicken in charge

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Motorola MicroTAC Elite

Posted 19 December 2013 - 14:35

I think the design of the Mac Pro is pretty cool, but I am just pointing out that a computer with an open hole for ventilation like this will be prone to foreign things like liquids and particulates. It is a perfectly valid and logical concern.

#20 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 19 December 2013 - 14:42

A valid concern (other than heat) would be for instance, you are holding a glass of soda and you knock into something causing the soda spill into the mac pro top hole. A $1.50 soda causing $3000 of damage. Hopefully the mac pros come with covers, which I'd imagine they do

You realize most other desktop enclosures have ventilation openings in the top of the case, too?

#21 Ironman273

Ironman273

Neowinian Fanatic

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 19 December 2013 - 14:51

I guess you can go complain to all these people too:

https://www.google.c...iw=1280&bih=598

#22 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 19 December 2013 - 14:59

I think the design of the Mac Pro is pretty cool, but I am just pointing out that a computer with an open hole for ventilation like this will be prone to foreign things like liquids and particulates. It is a perfectly valid and logical concern.

Most modern PC cases have air vents at the top.  Heat rises, so the most efficient means of cooling is to push the hot air up and out.  

My PC case has a giant mesh grate at the top, directly above the horizontally-mounted motherboard, where I can optionally mount some huge fans.

It's not really the manufacturer's concern for what spillage accidents could occur.  Those are user error.

This Mac Pro is supposed to be as quiet as a Mac Mini (which is pretty much inaudible), so I'd say they did a great job with the heat dissipation, especially considering the power they've packed into that thing.

#23 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 14
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 19 December 2013 - 15:00

You realize most other desktop enclosures have ventilation openings in the top of the case, too?

Yep, jokes aside my main desktop's chassis has a top fan that's near a foot wide.

#24 OP Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Assistant Special Agent Chicken in charge

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Motorola MicroTAC Elite

Posted 19 December 2013 - 15:06

Let me clear some things up, I have no agenda when I created this thread.

I think the design is quite interesting and neat, but I was just skeptical and had concerns. There isn't anything wrong with being critical of something.

I think perhaps Apple should have added a top that's lifted off an inch off of the hole for protection.

#25 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 19 December 2013 - 15:07

Again, I don't like macs (in fact, I have a non apple product agenda from quite a while) but the design, at least from thermodynamics, it's excellent. Convection is the keyword here. Triangular heatsink however allows for little to no customization... but again, that's supposed to be a machine that you are so no going to upgrade. I wish PC form factors diverged from the original square design to produce something more three-dimensional, as apple has done.

P.D. Apple phones are a complete ripoff, same with their laptops.

#26 goodbytes

goodbytes

Just below average Joe

Posted 19 December 2013 - 18:57

I's stunning

#27 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 19 December 2013 - 19:03

Not a fan of OS X, not even sure I like this for a desk PC, but with Dual GPUs and the amount of power in that space, Kudos to Apple. It's cool as ######.

#28 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 19 December 2013 - 19:06

Again, I don't like macs (in fact, I have a non apple product agenda from quite a while) but the design, at least from thermodynamics, it's excellent. Convection is the keyword here. Triangular heatsink however allows for little to no customization... but again, that's supposed to be a machine that you are so no going to upgrade. I wish PC form factors diverged from the original square design to produce something more three-dimensional, as apple has done.

P.D. Apple phones are a complete ripoff, same with their laptops.

If you're talking price, maybe. But iPhones do what they are supposed to do, and they do it as well or better than anyone else IMO.

#29 +Xenosion

Xenosion

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 December 2013 - 19:25

It's a sleek design and is innovative but I sure do wish Apple would stop using "innovative" to describe pretty much anything they do. Diamond cut edges or whatever are cosmetic and have no real world application. As opposed to simply "machine cut" which is still essentially all this is except they get to throw around the fact that diamonds were used to make your fancy computer. It's crap like that just makes it all so gimmicky.

#30 Euphoria

Euphoria

--- eüphorïå ---

Posted 19 December 2013 - 19:56

It's a sleek design and is innovative but I sure do wish Apple would stop using "innovative" to describe pretty much anything they do. Diamond cut edges or whatever are cosmetic and have no real world application. As opposed to simply "machine cut" which is still essentially all this is except they get to throw around the fact that diamonds were used to make your fancy computer. It's crap like that just makes it all so gimmicky.

Well... it's inovative because noone else has come up with this kind of cooling solution/PC design. It minimizes the space needed to hold all the PC hardware while maximizing on the air cooling efficiency.

When you come up with something like that, you can use the "invovative" word yourself....

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!