Photo

Need help securing my Internet

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Lqv2015

Lqv2015

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 December 2013 - 04:54

Got a bit of an issue I want to resolve.

My roommate has been leeching off my AT&T Internet service for months now. He's never volunteered to chip in & I've never asked him about it. We're not that tight. I've never had an issue about the leeching until now that he's got Netflix and streaming movies from it. That in turns, slows down my streaming Lakers games & downloads.

Basically I want to lock my AT&T Uverse from him. Problem is the modem/router is in his room and his desktop is wired connected. No problem, I can sneak in one day to password protect it. But I'm not sure how. Do I need to install an extra modem? Manually input a new password?

What's my solution?

#2 teknix360

teknix360

Neowinian

• Phone: Galaxy Nexus, Moto G

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:11

Put gum in his ethernet port. :p

#3 +snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

Electrical & Computer Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 29
  • Phone: dumb phone

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:22

Your solution is to talk with him like a sane adult because otherwise he is just going to disconnect the router since you locked him out and it is in his room.

Also, I don't think you can actually lock him out. Most routers don't have any way to secure the wired ports. Mac filtering for example typically only works over wireless, etc. 

#4 Marshall

Marshall

▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▁ ▅

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:23

You can't password protect someone from a Uverse gateway when they're connected via wire. Wireless, sure...all day long, but the wired part is where your solution grinds to a halt.

The easier solution is simply leveling with him....Hey you're draining my bandwidth X number of times a day/week and I need you to either chip in or find your own ISP.

#5 +snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

Electrical & Computer Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 29
  • Phone: dumb phone

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:28

OoOh, I have an nefarious idea. Switch the DNS server it uses to a honeypot so he gets things he doesn't want to see or hear :rofl:. Like it could rickroll him randomly for example.

Of course you'd need to switch your own PC to use google DNS to avoid the downsides of this idea.

#6 Liana

Liana

Tech Girl

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:28

I don't know that there is much you can do. I really wish routers had simple options to prioritize traffic based on connected devices, for example: computer A's traffic would take priority over computer B's traffic, and then set up exceptions to that rule.

#7 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:50

Have him to sit down at the table with you and discuss about streaming limit. You will do the following:  

Ask him to calm down with the streaming... or tell him to get his own ISP for unlimited streaming on his own which he will realize that his internet will slow down, down the road.

If he wants own ISP... then you can ask the technician to move your modem/router to your room or wherever of your choice. And he will get his own stuff in his room.

#8 #Michael

#Michael

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 December 2013 - 19:51

Just because the tech installed the uverse dsl modem gateway in that room doesn't mean it has to stay there.  As long as there is a working rj11 jack for dsl access and a working coax jack for cable access in any room you can move it there.  

When I used to have uverse the modem/gateway got moved to a couple of different rooms as furniture got re-arranged.

#9 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 19 December 2013 - 20:12

Does the UVERSE modem have MAC filtering on the LAN side of the DHCP?

#10 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 86
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 19 December 2013 - 20:16

Mom!!! Billy keeps using my internet!!
Mom!!! He is using all the bandwidth MOM!!

This is the solution
"talk with him like a sane adult"

If you can not talk about shared resources in a place you share, how and the hell are you room mates in the first place. Do you not share the other bills like electricity, water, etc.

If you can not work it out - maybe you shouldn't be room mates.

#11 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 December 2013 - 20:17

Does the UVERSE modem have MAC filtering on the LAN side of the DHCP?

I am sure it does... I used to have UVERSE before I switched to the cable.

Look up on Google for 'UVERSE MAC address filtering'

Mom!!! Billy keeps using my internet!!
Mom!!! He is using all the bandwidth MOM!!

This is the solution
"talk with him like a sane adult"

If you can not talk about shared resources in a place you share, how and the hell are you room mates in the first place. Do you not share the other bills like electricity, water, etc.

If you can not work it out - maybe you shouldn't be room mates.

lmao

#12 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 86
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 19 December 2013 - 20:19

Mac address filtering is for Wireless I have never ever seen work on wired connection.

What he was talking about I believe is limiting dhcp server to only hand out reservation, and don't give him a reservation. You could also just turn off dhcp and set a static. But unless he is really really dumb that won't last long ;)

#13 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 December 2013 - 20:23

Mac address filtering is for Wireless I have never ever seen work on wired connection.

What he was talking about I believe is limiting dhcp server to only hand out reservation, and don't give him a reservation. You could also just turn off dhcp and set a static. But unless he is really really dumb that won't last long ;)

Yeah I know but that guy should move the modem/router to other room and give the roommate a 'guest' wireless access... then if his roomie steal the bandwidth, all to do is block the mac address or disable wireless and he's able to access his internet via his own wireless access or wired connection. That's what I do.

#14 PhilTheThrill

PhilTheThrill

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: WP8

Posted 19 December 2013 - 20:24

All this "talk to him" BS.

If he's not paying for it he can be TOLD.

More importantly why is the router in his room?

#15 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 December 2013 - 20:38

All this "talk to him" BS.

If he's not paying for it he can be TOLD.

More importantly why is the router in his room?

Then you don't have respect or not acting like an adult..

Talk first and make sure both ends agree on this term. Otherwise that roommate will not have an access or get his own ISP.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!