Duck Dynasty Star Banned Indefinitely for Anti-Gay Comments

in short... He should have a right to say what he said without being penalized for it. period.

No. No, no, no, no HELL no! NO one should EVER have that "right".  You can say what you want, but there WILL be consequences for what you say, always.

• Like 3

well according to the catholic church it is (which is the true church of Christ). that's pretty credible if you ask me.

that's something that they can never change either no matter how low society goes.

Catholic church? Oh, you mean that bunch of money grabbing, choirboy raping, kiddie fiddlers?  I wouldn't be using them as a source of good moral behaviour if I were you. Not if you ever want to be considered credible by anyone ever again.

• Like 3

No. No, no, no, no HELL no! NO one should EVER have that "right".  You can say what you want, but there WILL be consequences for what you say, always.

so you don't believe in freedom of speech? (they are basically censoring him for his beliefs and it's not like he's swearing or making threats or anything)

because like i say... those who watch that show are probably mostly inline with him anyways as the ones who it would offend i doubt watch that show. if it offends anyone they can simply change the channel.

so you don't believe in freedom of speech? (they are basically censoring him for his beliefs and it's not like he's swearing or making threats or anything)

because like i say... those who watch that show are probably mostly inline with him anyways as the ones who it would offend i doubt watch that show. if it offends anyone they can simply change the channel.

I do wish people would like you would actually educate yourselves; but fine go ahead and stay ignorant, it's providing no end of entertainment to the rest of us.

This is not a freedom of speech issue. Never was and never will be; learn your laws.  I'm not even American, and I know what your 1st amendment rights are for.

• Like 2

Catholic church? Oh, you mean that bunch of money grabbing, choirboy raping, kiddie fiddlers?  I wouldn't be using them as a source of good moral behaviour if I were you. Not if you ever want to be considered credible by anyone ever again.

so a few bad apples sums up the ENTIRE Catholic church etc for you?

if you can't see that much you are completely blind. the core of the religion/church is intact/good as don't let the media making them out to be pedo's etc brainwash you as like i say a few bad apples should not be enough to ruin the entire thing for you. it's like labeling all middle-easterns as terrorists.

I do wish people would like you would actually educate yourselves; but fine go ahead and stay ignorant, it's providing no end of entertainment to the rest of us.

This is not a freedom of speech issue. Never was and never will be; learn your laws.  I'm not even American, and I know what your 1st amendment rights are for.

fair enough... but he should not be censored/penalized for saying what he believes at the end of the day. those who don't like it can simply change the channel. the show clearly is liked by a lot of people so there has to be a fair amount of people with similar views as himself.

A&E could just simply say they are not the same beliefs as he is and that should be enough for A&E to be in the clear.

if you can't see that much you are completely blind. the core of the religion/church is intact/good as don't let the media making them out to be pedo's etc brainwash you as like i say a few bad apples should not be enough to ruin the entire thing for you. it's like labeling all middle-easterns as terrorists.

A few bad apples? It's the entire damned organisation; from the lowliest cleric right up to the last pope. They ALL either were doing it, or knew about it and either did nothing or actively conspired to hide it and protect the guilty.

Hell, Ratzinger himself wrote the document that told the church how to act in such cases. That is, move the priests elsewhere and do everything possible to hide what they did.

I bet you believe that Mother Teresa was a saint, too... :rolleyes:

fair enough... but he should not be censored/penalized for saying what he believes at the end of the day. those who don't like it can simply change the channel. the show clearly is liked by a lot of people so there has to be a fair amount of people with similar views as himself.

A&E could just simply say they are not the same beliefs as he is and that should be enough for A&E to be in the clear.

If i walked up to you and started calling you heinous names and insulting everything about you and your family; would you walk away or act?  Being an adult means accepting responsibility for everything you do and say. There is no free pass for being an ass.

A&E have every legal right to act as they did. They don't want to associate themselves with this guy's comments and they don't want him associated with them.  If they want to fire him (and they haven't yet), then that's their choice and they are as free to do so as you say he's free to say what he did.

Can't have one without the other.

• Like 1

A few bad apples? It's the entire damned organisation; from the lowliest cleric right up to the last pope. They ALL either were doing it, or knew about it and either did nothing or actively conspired to hide it and protect the guilty.

Hell, Ratzinger himself wrote the document that told the church how to act in such cases. That is, move the priests elsewhere and do everything possible to hide what they did.

I bet you believe that Mother Teresa was a saint, too... :rolleyes:

even if there is a bigger issue than i think... it's surely not the ENTIRE thing. maybe some of the higher ranks here and there as i am not saying it's perfect as human beings can be corrupted whether they are religious or not. but that should not ruin the religion itself for you which remains at it's core good/intact.

p.s. but yeah, there are saints and someone like Padre Pio is the genuine article believe it or not. but since you can't see it with your own eyes you will simply write him off as a fake.

As for homosexuality being a mortal sin, that's subjective, period.

Never mind the fact that the deadly sins are a fabrication and are not even from the bible, but was later "invented" by the church.

even if there is a bigger issue than i think... it's surely not the ENTIRE thing. maybe some of the higher ranks here and there as i am not saying it's perfect as human beings can be corrupted whether they are religious or not. but that should not ruin the religion itself for you which remains at it's core good/intact.

p.s. but yeah, there are saints and someone like Padre Pio is the genuine article believe it or not. but since you can't see it with your own eyes you will simply write him off as a fake.

I'd be happy to discuss this sidetrack further with you in the Religion thread. Best we not digress this one any further.

If i walked up to you and started calling you heinous names and insulting everything about you and your family; would you walk away or act?  Being an adult means accepting responsibility for everything you do and say. There is no free pass for being an ass.

A&E have every legal right to act as they did. They don't want to associate themselves with this guy's comments and they don't want him associated with them.  If they want to fire him (and they haven't yet), then that's their choice and they are as free to do so as you say he's free to say what he did.

Can't have one without the other.

well attacking someone personally to me is a bit different and worse vs something said on a TV show (which was not attacking someone personally as it was just more of a general thing) which you can simply change the channel.

and yeah, i don't doubt A&E can do what they want to him like removing him from the show since they own the thing. but some of those places are just WAYY to concerned about what people say a little to much as like i say those who don't like it can simply stop watching the show as it's not like that's going to offend too many people who watch the show as with 14million viewers you clearly got a lot of people liking the people on the show.

but hopefully the viewers of the show send A&E a message to get him back on the show.

p.s. for the record... i don't watch the show even though i see bits and pieces of it here and there.

but i guess i said what i felt. ill just leave it at this for now as i got my views and others have theirs ;)

well according to the catholic church it is (which is the true church of Christ). that's pretty credible if you ask me.

The true church of Christ ? According to who? It was founded hundreds of years and canonized based on writings written two hundred years after his death. Not even that not even based on the original writings, but those that have been rewritten numerous times after this again by people who changed them( as the Dead Sea scrolls show).

On top of that, the Catholic Church is the polar opposite of what Jesus himself stood for. It's a organized cult ruled by an elite who decide what you should or shouldn't do and think. That's not what Jesus taught. Jesus was against organized religion and thought each person should be his own temple and talk to god in his own way.

So no. The Catholic Church is absolutely not the true church of Christ. It's the biggest because they where founded in a region with to much power a long time ago, in order to use it to control more people.

But a church that's the polar opposite of Jesus own beliefs can't be the true church of Jesus. Even if they claim it and want everyone to believe it. But then everyone thinks their Christianity is the true one, every Muslim thinks their particular variant of Islam is the true one and so on.

• Like 2

A few? It was an organized hiding of the truth by the majority of the upper echelon of the church and the problem was wide spread...

The true church of Christ ? According to who? It was founded hundreds of years and canonized based on writings written two hundred years after his death. Not even that not even based on the original writings, but those that have been rewritten numerous times after this again by people who changed them( as the Dead Sea scrolls show).

On top of that, the Catholic Church is the polar opposite of what Jesus himself stood for. It's a organized cult ruled by an elite who decide what you should or shouldn't do and think. That's not what Jesus taught. Jesus was against organized religion and thought each person should be his own temple and talk to god in his own way.

So no. The Catholic Church is absolutely not the true church of Christ. It's the biggest because they where founded in a region with to much power a long time ago, in order to use it to control more people.

But a church that's the polar opposite of Jesus own beliefs can't be the true church of Jesus. Even if they claim it and want everyone to believe it. But then everyone thinks their Christianity is the true one, every Muslim thinks their particular variant of Islam is the true one and so on.

i would disagree about the Catholic church being the polar opposite of Christ and i am sure many would agree with me here to (someone like Padre Pio, a genuine saint, followed the Catholic church to). maybe there is some mistakes here and there but i think the core of the Catholic church teachings are intact. (i am not claiming to be a expert or anything on the subject though as i am sure there is other people who could debate this stuff better than myself)

as far as Christianity goes... Catholic is the first one and the true one. the others are just spun off from it. not saying the others are bad or anything though since i am sure there can still be good coming from the others.

but basically... you see religion as a form of control etc, i do not. so it appears we won't be able to see eye-to-eye on this one ;)

A few? It was an organized hiding of the truth by the majority of the upper echelon of the church and the problem was wide spread...

still, that does not mean all priests etc are bad. when you bottom line it.... those priests etc who abuse children are very few.

------------------------------------------------------------------

i apologize to the OP if you feel we hijacked your thread and drifted off the core subject a bit. but you can imagine being what he (the guy from the Duck Dynasty show) said will drift the topic into other areas.

hehe, cute, I actually believed you for a moment that you were serious. :) good one!

Believe what you want, but its true. In the end everyone will find out the truth but by then it will be too late.

Ah I always get a kick out of the religious persons who are exclusionary even though it doesn't agree with the very religion they espouse...

You should keep in mind, if you're sourcing from the Bible anyway, that passing judgement on Gay persons, or anyone for that matter, is the fastest way to ruin your chances of getting into that fictional place you call Heaven. I guess I missed the part of the Bible where it says any old Christian is equal to Jesus and can arbitrarily decide who is righteous and who isn't.

But I'll assume you weren't serious :)

Every human being judges, becuase thats in their nature. Im not saying its right to judge. Its wrong, but saying that being gay is wrong is not judging. And there is no faster way of getting to heaven or not. A sin is a sin, you cant be saying that stealing isnt bad as murdering, becuase its still a sin.

that's something that they can never change either no matter how low society goes.

Thank you for proving my point. The view of the church and the view of you are in FACT subjective. Just because you share a similar view to the church in no way means that's an acceptable view by the rest of the world. In FACT that view is slowly but surely shrinking within the world view. And as FloatingFatMan pointed out, the catholic church is far from a just and moral compass. 

Sure, but A&E ain't going to get in THAT much trouble over it as they could just simply say he does not represent A&E's views etc and that would be it and those who want him fired from the show probably don't even watch the show anyways as with 14million viewers the show clearly has a following and, like i have said, i am willing to bet most have similar views to himself or not that much different that watch the show anyways. or the ones who don't like it can simply not watch the show.

Unless you have a crystal ball that can show the rest of us exactly what kind of backlash they would or would not have, that's purely conjecture. A&E did what they did based on what they felt they should have done. They know their target audience better then you do. For all anyone knows this act could hurt them or even help them and the show in general. The simple fact is, your words, regardless of your Rights to say what you want, still have potential consequences and in this case, A&E felt the need to cut off any potential consequences on their side. You don't have to like what they did but you should at least accept the fact that they have the Right to do so. 

but with the promotion of the gay agenda in full swing nowadays (roughly the last decade or so) it's not surprising people get in trouble over petty stuff since like i say the media etc in general is against the traditional ways.

FYI "traditional ways" change over time, the world is full of history of what was once considered "traditional" that now is considered just plan wrong.

Even after it's been pointed out in this thread, as well as past others on this forum, people still have no clue what the freedom of speech truly means. 

Every human being judges, becuase thats in their nature. Im not saying its right to judge. Its wrong, but saying that being gay is wrong is not judging. And there is no faster way of getting to heaven or not. A sin is a sin, you cant be saying that stealing isnt bad as murdering, becuase its still a sin.

By saying being gay is wrong, you are judging.

A sin is only a sin if you believe in god. If you don't, it's not a sin.  I, for example, am completely and utterly incapable of ever committing a sin.

Umm actually it is judging.

Judging: form an opinion or conclusion about

i would disagree about the Catholic church being the polar opposite of Christ and i am sure many would agree with me here to (someone like Padre Pio, a genuine saint, followed the Catholic church to). maybe there is some mistakes here and there but i think the core of the Catholic church teachings are intact. (i am not claiming to be a expert or anything on the subject though as i am sure there is other people who could debate this stuff better than myself)

as far as Christianity goes... Catholic is the first one and the true one. the others are just spun off from it. not saying the others are bad or anything though since i am sure there can still be good coming from the others.

but basically... you see religion as a form of control etc, i do not. so it appears we won't be able to see eye-to-eye on this one ;)

still, that does not mean all priests etc are bad. when you bottom line it.... those priests etc who abuse children are very few.

------------------------------------------------------------------

i apologize to the OP if you feel we hijacked your thread and drifted off the core subject a bit. but you can imagine being what he (the guy from the Duck Dynasty show) said will drift the topic into other areas.

Seeing as it wasn't founded by Jesus or his apostles it's not the first.

Even after it's been pointed out in this thread, as well as past others on this forum, people still have no clue what the freedom of speech truly means. 

I know... I actually find it really quite sad that an English guy understands their 1st amendment rights better than some actual American's do... :( What on earth is going on in their schools!? 

Ok here's what I have gotten from this thread;

Some people think that you can say what you want without any reprocusions - Whether it is or isn't (1st amendment related) does that mean you should? Should us mod's leave the American's alone on this forum because it's their right to say what they want? No, if you say something hurtful then expect a reaction whether that be on public TV, on a forum or face to face, grow up and learn to respect your fellow human beings for who they are and not for some religious, or social 'normality'. It is our individuality that makes this an interest place to live

I have to admit i skim read the original article, and have since read the guys statement later on in this thread - Is it potentially possible that he was missquoted in order to create a reaction and get people interested in an article? Would it be the first time? I have no idea who this guy is, I have never seen Duck Dynasty and have bearly even heard of it. But if someone comes out and says look, I have my opinions, I will tell people my opinion and hopefully people will agree. If they don't then so be it but I would never use my opinion to be hurtful or disrespectful of other peoples way of lives no matter whether I agree with it or not. Does this honestly sound like the same person that would say being gay leads to beastiality?

I think this is once again another media opportunity to get the gossip going over someone who is racist, or homosexual or whatever other term sells magazines etc because everyone wants to read about how crap the world is.

^ That wouldn't surprise me in the slightest, especially not with American media.

TBH, I personally don't give a stuff what this guy says or believes. My main issue here has been people ranting that his 1st amendment rights have been broken, when it's actually sod all to do with them.  I also take to task those that think you should be allowed to say anything you want without consequences.

• Like 2