18 replies to this topic

#1 Ironman273

Ironman273

Neowinian Fanatic

• 8,222 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 830

Posted 19 December 2013 - 13:52

Assassin's Creed IV's Fancy New Smoke Will Probably Get You Killed

The latest patch for Assassin's Creed IV on PC added support for some fancy PhysX particle effects, which includes smoke. Lots of smoke.

In fact, enough smoke to prevent you from telling what the hell is going on—which can be something you might actually like, sure. Chaos can be fun. But still, my guess is when you're dangerously close to desynchronization, you'd be more interested in countering blows instead of staring at fancy smoke.

The smoke is quite fancy though, I'll give 'em that. Take a look for yourself:

Source: Kotaku

#2 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 22,104 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 19 December 2013 - 14:01

Liquid smoke, shown off in all it's super glorious beauty in Hellgate London, several years ago... To bad no one else used it until now :/

#3 +Lingwo

Lingwo

Neowinian Senior

• 5,761 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 14:01

I'd love to see that smoke in full force in a big sea battle. The standard smoke can get pretty thick at the best of times.

#4 trag3dy

trag3dy

Neowinian Senior

• 6,896 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 14:08

I wonder what kind of performance hit it has. The game is already poorly optimized as it is.

#5 Colicab

Colicab

DGDesign

• 4,188 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 16:57

Dont understand why they increased the overall volume of the smoke. Thought it was just meant to be a new way of generating it?

Still looks nice, but the extra volume seem`s over kill in my book.

#6 mattmatik

mattmatik

formerly soLoredd

• 4,930 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 17:01

Damn the water effects look so good. Is that PhysX as well? Haven't played the game yet but am tempted to since BF4 is such a cluster right now.

#7 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• 11,943 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 17:03

Dont understand why they increased the overall volume of the smoke. Thought it was just meant to be a new way of generating it?

Still looks nice, but the extra volume seem`s over kill in my book.

I dunno, it seems like an appropriately realistic amount.

I need to get this game next time it's on sale, my 660 could use a workout.

#8 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• 16,190 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.10.14203.306

Posted 19 December 2013 - 17:08

its fancy looking however, i am not sure how realistic it is.

#9 jerzdawg

jerzdawg

Neowinian

• 5,396 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 17:08

I dunno, it seems like an appropriately realistic amount.

I need to get this game next time it's on sale, my 660 could use a workout.

Agreed, almost seems comical at the amount.  Tech wise this is great.. but I think it was poorly implemented in this game

edit.. nm.. I dont agree.. for some reason I read unrealistic amount

#10 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• 11,943 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 17:19

Agreed, almost seems comical at the amount.  Tech wise this is great.. but I think it was poorly implemented in this game

edit.. nm.. I dont agree.. for some reason I read unrealistic amount

Well, Google musket fire, and I think you'll find that they produce a comical amount of smoke. Especially since you were supposed to shoot people with them.  :laugh:

#11 Colicab

Colicab

DGDesign

• 4,188 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 17:26

Well, Google musket fire, and I think you'll find that they produce a comical amount of smoke. Especially since you were supposed to shoot people with them.  :laugh:

Agree on the Musket fire. Pretty much anything from that era went bang with a large cloud of smoke. More than likely from it all being very black powder based ;).

Tho still think maybe, much like in Hollywood, some artistic license may be needed, as I could see that being a little off putting whilst in melee.

#12 psionicinversion

psionicinversion

Neowinian Senior

• 1,882 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 18:22

It does seem a bit much but like someone has said its probably accurate for the period.... saying that though as long as you sort of see/remember where the enemys are you can still shift into the general direction hammer the mouse button and youll kill em cus it locks on to the white outlined highlighted enemy, still id prefer the old smoke me thinks. AC4 is a good looking game the sea and waves in it look awesome and pretty much got an all elite lvl ship, well atm its bin stolen but in the process of getting it back haha.

#13 +Lingwo

Lingwo

Neowinian Senior

• 5,761 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 18:40

Damn the water effects look so good. Is that PhysX as well? Haven't played the game yet but am tempted to since BF4 is such a cluster right now.

Nope, the water effects are standard. They're really cool. The game has weather too, so when you hit a big storm you get some big waves forming.

I recommend the game. Especially if you're interested in pirates and pirating  :laugh:

#14 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

• 10,466 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 11:11

it is over the top and comical....but impressive from a tech standpoint. BTW the game is really good, gotta say with all the sarcasm and cynicism re: annual installments, it is simply a good experience.

#15 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 22,104 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 21 December 2013 - 11:15

it is over the top and comical....but impressive from a tech standpoint. BTW the game is really good, gotta say with all the sarcasm and cynicism re: annual installments, it is simply a good experience.

It's not actually over the top and comical. But people today have been firing smokeless gunpowder for what ? Over a hundred years? And even then black powder varied in how "dirty" it was as well.

Just look at civil war re-enactments with modern clean black powder and how smoky it gets.