How the original iPhone forced Google to completely rebuild Android

One thing's for sure - if the iPhone wasn't released back in 2007 - nobody would be holding the phone they are right now. The combination of an incredibly responsive touch screen and very intuitive software (at the time) meant it was a game changer.

Now, who care's who copies who. The market wants iPhone-like design as a whole, so that's what's happening. Same with TVs (most TVs these days look very similar and have similar interfaces). It's the way of life. The main point is that we're all, whether it's an iPhone, Android or some other phone, using a much better phone than we would be if Apple didn't shake up the industry the way it did back in 2007.

I have to agree, and I'm in the "The only way I'll possess an iDevice is if Steve Jobs' zombie forces it into my cold, dead hand" camp. :laugh:

Whether you like Apple's products or not, there's no denying their influence on the industry.

Sure they have and it is well known they did.

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2010/03/patently_stupid.html

The quote was....

you are right but Apples  implementation is and was the first of its kind because   if you look at the first Andriod Phones  that had  MT in it even if enabled by default they were far less accurate in its sensors  Apple did it right the first time and has since improved upon it.

you are right but Apples  implementation is and was the first of its kind because   if you look at the first Andriod Phones  that had  MT in it even if enabled by default they were far less accurate in its sensors  Apple did it right the first time and has since improved upon it.

What absolutely utter nonsense.  Seriously, using a technology that had been out for years before (I have previous smart phones that happily recognised 2 points of multi-touch) and refining it is not "getting it right FIRST TIME" - it's simply refining someone else's first time.

Anyhow, Apple claimed they invented it.  You said they never said this ("No he and or Apple never claimed they made  or well invented  multi-tocuh").  They did.  Just know when you're wrong!

First of its kind?  In the phone factor maybe, but mutlitouch devices were out before Apple's iPhone.   http://www.inventhelp.com/Newsletter/2012_11/Who-Invented-Multitouch.aspx#.UrRn6OJV-s0

What absolutely utter nonsense.  Seriously, using a technology that had been out for years before (I have previous smart phones that happily recognised 2 points of multi-touch) and refining it is not "getting it right FIRST TIME" - it's simply refining someone else's first time.

Anyhow, Apple claimed they invented it.  You said they never said this ("No he and or Apple never claimed they made  or well invented  multi-tocuh").  They did.  Just know when you're wrong!

Actually, there was a recent study that showed the iPhone 5 as having the best touch screen. They defined "best" by measuring responsiveness and accuracy. Also, you could credit the iPhone for making capacitive touch technology mainstream. notuptome2004 is right; most phones back then relied on resistive touching to sense finger movement, which is less accurate then capacitive sensing..

Actually, there was a recent study that showed the iPhone 5 as having the best touch screen. They defined "best" by measuring responsiveness and accuracy. Also, you could credit the iPhone for making capacitive touch technology mainstream. notuptome2004 is right; most phones back then relied on resistive touching to sense finger movement, which is less accurate then capacitive sensing..

Not relevant.

He never claimed otherwise.

He is 100% right... If you ignore his original claim and completely change it.

Making a technology mainstream != inventing it.  Jobs outright stated that Apple invented multi-touch technology.  NotUpToMe stated Jobs never said that.

Also, they may have released a phone with the best screen ever seen on a phone with their first iPhone - I 100% agree with that. It may have progressed to be the best multi-touch, again I agree.  But they "got it right first time" by it not being the first time said technology had been used.  They refined existing tech - good on them.

See here's my quarrel with apple and their fanboys:  apple do a fair few things REALLY well.  Possibly better than their competition.  Arguably so.  But then they lie about inventing it.  Their fanboys can't be happy with "Yeah, it's bloody good" they have to go that inch of BS further to "It's the best, everything is inferior, apple invented the world, you're all jealous"

He is 100% right... If you ignore his original claim and completely change it.

Making a technology mainstream != inventing it.  Jobs outright stated that Apple invented multi-touch technology.  NotUpToMe stated Jobs never said that.

Also, they may have released a phone with the best screen ever seen on a phone with their first iPhone - I 100% agree with that. It may have progressed to be the best multi-touch, again I agree.  But they "got it right first time" by it not being the first time said technology had been used.  They refined existing tech - good on them.

See here's my quarrel with apple and their fanboys:  apple do a fair few things REALLY well.  Possibly better than their competition.  Arguably so.  But then they lie about inventing it.  Their fanboys can't be happy with "Yeah, it's bloody good" they have to go that inch of BS further to "It's the best, everything is inferior, apple invented the world, you're all jealous"

Remove the word "apple" from your last sentance and that sentance can be used for fanboys across just about every product in the world! There are a lot of fanboys who fail to see the benefit in competition and competitors doing well too, if Google, Microsoft and Blackberry (to a lesser extent) hadn't done some good themselves I don't think the iPhone would be half as impressive as it is now. Technology moves forward because competitors "copy" competitors whilst putting their own stamp and features out there too.

I'm not a massive fan of apple devices but agree, they pretty much led the market into the now popular smart phone and have almost dictated the direction of mobile phone design for some time now until someone comes up with a new direction.

Remove the word "apple" from your last sentance and that sentance can be used for fanboys across just about every product in the world! There are a lot of fanboys who fail to see the benefit in competition and competitors doing well too, if Google, Microsoft and Blackberry (to a lesser extent) hadn't done some good themselves I don't think the iPhone would be half as impressive as it is now. Technology moves forward because competitors "copy" competitors whilst putting their own stamp and features out there too.

I'm not a massive fan of apple devices but agree, they pretty much led the market into the now popular smart phone and have almost dictated the direction of mobile phone design for some time now until someone comes up with a new direction.

Ok...

Lets play devil's advocate.

What did Google claim to invent, but did not?

Be specific please, as we are being specific with Apple.

Ok...

I'm sure at some point they have, but unfortunately I don't know. Someone here I am sure can provide a scenario where they have claimed to have invented a new technology when they havent.

Maybe I have misread somewhere but I believe I have read claims of "we invented multi touch" and I'm sure there was something else more recently with the 5s or perhaps the 5 (NFC or the finger print reader or something) that they didn't necisarly claim they out right invented the technology, but their wording could lead to people believing that they did. At the end of the day that's just clever marketing, again something Apple have been brilliant at.

I'm sure at some point they have, but unfortunately I don't know. Someone here I am sure can provide a scenario where they have claimed to have invented a new technology when they havent.

Maybe I have misread somewhere but I believe I have read claims of "we invented multi touch" and I'm sure there was something else more recently with the 5s or perhaps the 5 (NFC or the finger print reader or something) that they didn't necisarly claim they out right invented the technology, but their wording could lead to people believing that they did. At the end of the day that's just clever marketing, again something Apple have been brilliant at.

Hard to misinterpret direct quotes though, right?

I linked a video with Jobs saying it outright.  I don't know that he ever corrected that comment anywhere else to clarify.

Hard to misinterpret direct quotes though, right?

I linked a video with Jobs saying it outright.  I don't know that he ever corrected that comment anywhere else to clarify.

Trust me, I do a pretty good job of misinterpreting things! I don't like to say things with an absolute certainty as you can count on the fine knowledgeable people of this forum to shoot me down when I do! Be vague and indecisive, I can always claim stupidty if all else fails :)

I also fear that coming across as very anti company X always lables me as fanboy of company Y

Trust me, I do a pretty good job of misinterpreting things! I don't like to say things with an absolute certainty as you can count on the fine knowledgeable people of this forum to shoot me down when I do! Be vague and indecisive, I can always claim stupidty if all else fails :)

I also fear that coming across as very anti company X always lables me as fanboy of company Y

Par for the course. I've been called a Windows fanboy when running OS X, and an android fanboy while using an iPhone.

And of course variations on that theme.

Par for the course. I've been called a Windows fanboy when running OS X, and an android fanboy while using an iPhone.

it's quite ironic, that more often than not the people calling you a fanboy are the fanboys themselves and suffer from the ever growing issues of people having a different opinion to them  :rofl:

• Like 2

it's quite ironic, that more often than not the people calling you a fanboy are the fanboys themselves and suffer from the ever growing issues of people having a different opinion to them  :rofl:

People toss out fanboy when they cannot properly prove/support their argument.  Whenever someone says "fanboy", that is pretty much the end of the convo.

Anyway, good for Google changing Android when it did.  No telling what would of came around to give the iPhone some competition.

accept the  iPod touch was not announced for  almost another year  after the  iPhone  

Now to clear things up from earlier   now  while  i was wrong on him saying they invented it the  Fact is  the iPhone was the  first main stream device  in its size to use the technolagy  it changed  how  phone were being made form them on . the Iphone was the first to use  a captive touch display  with Multi-touch  while most other phones of the older form factor at the time  that were  touch based were  resitive touch  . Apple also  and not sure  in the first iphone but  increased the  Touch sensor or so layers  in the screen itself adding more layers for a much more accurate  operation.  

but at the end of the Day  Every phone Manufacture at the Time  of the  showing of the iPhone was just  shocked and floored at what they were seeing  Even X RIM  employees or so  in an article couple years ago or less  siad they thought it was all Faked  or something  So  the Fact is  Apple created  a  Game Changer  amnd without it  your current my current Andriod phone the LG Lucid would not exist in the form it does  now least not  in the same way 

http://appleinsider.com/articles/10/12/27/rim_thought_apple_was_lying_about_original_iphone_in_2007

According to Shacknews poster Kentor, employees at RIM and Microsoft were "utterly shocked" by the iPhone. RIM was allegedly "in denial" about the iPhone, claiming "it couldn't do what they were demonstrating without an insanely power hungry processor, it must have terrible battery life, etc" Kentor wrote.

"Imagine their surprise when they disassembled an iPhone for the first time and found that the phone was battery with a tiny logic board strapped to it," the post read.

Ok...

Steve probably meant they invented it in its current form. 

I think it was actually FingerWorks that came up with some of the multi-touch gestures in iOS, and Apple acquired FingerWorks in 2005. I think it's fair to say you 'invented' something when you have acquired the company that invented it. 

I don't think he meant it to be taken as literally as it is being taken here. 

I could be wrong, though. 

Steve probably meant they invented it in its current form. 

I think it was actually FingerWorks that came up with some of the multi-touch gestures in iOS, and Apple acquired FingerWorks in 2005. I think it's fair to say you 'invented' something when you have acquired the company that invented it. 

I don't think he meant it to be taken as literally as it is being taken here. 

I could be wrong, though. 

Inventing multitouch is a far cry from, inventing the first phone to use multitouch, or phone-sized multitouch technology.

We will never know sadly, but he didn't specify, and FingerWorks didn't invent multitouch either.

Are you kidding? ThermalCore_270x253.png

Flux_Capacitor_Time_Machine.jpg

As far as the iPhone announcement I can only judge on my feeling watching they keynote for the very first time. I was in Aw. I wanted one right then in there.  The 3 way calling, blew my mind!

Inventing multitouch is a far cry from, inventing the first phone to use multitouch, or phone-sized multitouch technology.

We will never know sadly, but he didn't specify, and FingerWorks didn't invent multitouch either.

Yeah. What I'm saying is, I think the iPhone was the first to use multi-touch gestures such as pinch to zoom, elastic bounceback effects, kinetic scrolling, etc. So it would be fair to say they 'invented' those gestures. When he said they invented multi-touch he probably meant that specific flavour of multi-touch. 

Like I say, I could be wrong, but it would be a silly, wild claim to suggest that they invented a 20-year-old technology. I suspect he just wasn't specific enough. 

Actual title: "How the original iPhone forced Google to completely rebuild Android"

Title for Neowin: "How the original iPhone forced Google to copy it"

Can we get this man a job as a writer here?!

YES