Photo

Which Visual Studio 2013 version should I get?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MariosX

MariosX

The man with no dreams

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:05

Hello

I have a Dreamspark premium account and I would like to develop programs with Visual Studio 2013 but I do not know which version should I get because there are many and I'm getting confused

Here's a link to see what's available: http://e5.onthehub.c...o=8&JSEnabled=1

For now I have chosen the Ultimate version

Also I'm using Windows 7 SP1 x64 on my desktop  and Windows 8.1 on my laptop

#2 Thief000

Thief000

Neowinian

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:39

It depends on the projects you are working on which functionalities you would need, but you can't go wrong with the Ultimate edition as it does everything.

#3 virtorio

virtorio

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 14
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:41

It all depends on what you want to do with it. I've never needed anything higher than Professional.

This page contains an overview and comparison table of the different editions that might help you decide what edition is best for you:

http://www.visualstu...lPageSections_1

Ultimate of course does and has everything, but is perhaps not the best edition to have if you're just starting out.

#4 +snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

Electrical & Computer Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 29
  • Phone: dumb phone

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:50

If you are asking then you don't need anything more than professional. The stuff that doesn't come with professional is all for teams and project management (i.e. software engineering features)

#5 +Majesticmerc

Majesticmerc

Resident Idealist

• Tech Issues Solved: 9
  • Phone: HTC One X

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:07

I agree with snaphat. I'm in a medium sized software team (~30 people) and we're all upgrading to VS 2013 Professional. For solo use, professional should be more than enough :)

#6 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

Posted 26 December 2013 - 16:00

Except for disk space there's no downside to installing Ultimate, it contains all the features of Pro and many more. You can find a comparison of features here:

http://www.visualstu...dio-products-vs

Among interesting features in Ultimate, even for a single developer, are IntelliTrace (historical debugging), .NET memory dump analysis and code metrics. If you're just starting out, you're very unlikely to need these however.

#7 BetaAddict

BetaAddict

Uncomplicating the complicated

• Phone: MotoX, Nexus 7, Android 4.4

Posted 26 December 2013 - 22:27

Except for disk space there's no downside to installing Ultimate, it contains all the features of Pro and many more. You can find a comparison of features here:

Among interesting features in Ultimate, even for a single developer, are IntelliTrace (historical debugging), .NET memory dump analysis and code metrics. If you're just starting out, you're very unlikely to need these however.

Basically sums it up, and it's free via Dreamspark. Just install the ultimate version and forget about it.

#8 +snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

Electrical & Computer Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 29
  • Phone: dumb phone

Posted 27 December 2013 - 00:16

Must admit, I didn't know about Intellitrace or .net memory dump analysis. Is that stuff new? I've just used parallel studio for performance metric instead with VS.

#9 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

Posted 27 December 2013 - 00:28

Must admit, I didn't know about Intellitrace or .net memory dump analysis. Is that stuff new? I've just used parallel studio for performance metric instead with VS.

IntelliTrace was new in 2010 I think, the memory dump analysis is new in 2013. I've heard it's not very good compared to, say, .NET Memory Profiler, but hopefully it'll make it in Premium and then Pro in later versions of VS.