Unique Festival Lets Artists Trade Their Work for Healthcare

More than 100 musicians, painters and performers took part this year in the second annual "O+" Festival in Kingston, New York.Named for the blood type, the festival allows artists to barter their works and performances for health care in the form of back adjustments, blood work, dental fillings and eye exams.

painting_a_mural-ThirteenOrgVideo.jpg

Kingston dentist Thomas Cingel initially came up with the idea as a way to lure artists upstate. Dr. Cingel settled in the Hudson Valley for its natural beauty, yet missed the big city's music scene.

In May 2010 he emailed a Brooklyn indie band, promising them dental services in exchange for playing a Kingston show.

Source: http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/health/festival-lets-artists-trade-for-healthcare.html

Damn I wish I could come up with such good ideas thats an excellent innovation that not just helps the artists but the local neighborhood too.

Yep, it's nice to see humanity doing something good for one another. Taking someone's passion who may not be "popular" enough to earn a true living from their work and giving them something they probably need quite badly but can't afford.

Wish there was more stuff like this in the news than the usual doom and gloom!

Yep, it's nice to see humanity doing something good for one another. Taking someone's passion who may not be "popular" enough to earn a true living from their work and giving them something they probably need quite badly but can't afford.

Wish there was more stuff like this in the news than the usual doom and gloom!

I am glad there isn't, otherwise there is going to become a way to tax the system, (ie, the services rendered are worth XXX there for it is income).

I really would hate to see that happen.