• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Scar

Scar

Neowinian

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 20 December 2013 - 21:25

Greetings Neowin,

So I finally went for a clean installation of Windows 8 a few days ago after years of Windows 7 and I completely forgot an important step. The step I got confused by was "Where do you want to Install Windows", I easily located my C drive but forgot what to pick exactly from the menu below. "New", "Format" and "Delete". I just selected the hard drive I wanted to install Windows on and clicked "Format" and then proceeded with the installation. After successfully installing Windows I have read from various sources that I should have picked Delete. Will I expect any problems with the OS for picking Format all alone?, did anyone install similarly?

Thank you for your time and help.

Best Answer +snaphat (Myles Landwehr) , 20 December 2013 - 22:58

I meant your C: drive (Disk 2) would have multiple partitions showing (something like Disk 0 is showing) if you messed it up. It isn't, so are fine. I guess Windows didn't bother split up the boot partition from the operating system either in your case so it is all on one partition on C:.

Go to the full post

#2 zhangm

zhangm

Just bitter.

• Tech Issues Solved: 13

Posted 20 December 2013 - 21:38

If you're happy with the parameters of the existing partition setup, then I don't see why you'd need to delete them and create new ones. Ghosts of ones and zeroes past won't hurt you. :)

#3 +snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

Electrical & Computer Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 29
  • Phone: dumb phone

Posted 20 December 2013 - 21:38

It is going to format your HDD eitherway so there's no difference unless you had multiple partitions on the drive and left some old ones around from the Win7 installation. Just check the partitions you have to be sure. Win8 has two by default.

#4 psionicinversion

psionicinversion

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 20 December 2013 - 21:39

I don't think it really matters tbh, I don't think either technically removes any files it just marks the sectors as being free and existing data just gets over written I think

#5 +snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

Posted 20 December 2013 - 21:41

I don't think it really matters tbh, I don't think either technically removes any files it just marks the sectors as being free and existing data just gets over written I think

Neither zero out any bits. The only difference is that you'd only need to do the delete to clean up things if you had multiple partitions on the drive

#6 Thief000

Thief000

Neowinian

Posted 20 December 2013 - 21:45

Isn't it the case if you remove the volume, that the bad sector file is removed as well?

#7 +snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

Posted 20 December 2013 - 21:49

Isn't it the case if you remove the volume, that the bad sector file is removed as well?

bad sectors are handled and remapped by the firmware, not at the volume/file system level

#8 OP Scar

Scar

Neowinian

Posted 20 December 2013 - 21:52

Thank you all for the responses so far.

It is going to format your HDD eitherway so there's no difference unless you had multiple partitions on the drive and left some old ones around from the Win7 installation. Just check the partitions you have to be sure. Win8 has two by default.

My C drive(where Windows 7 was previously installed and later replaced with Windows 8) didn't have multiple partitions.

#9 +snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

Posted 20 December 2013 - 22:11

Thank you all for the responses so far.

My C drive(where Windows 7 was previously installed and later replaced with Windows 8) didn't have multiple partitions.

You are good then. Whether you clicked delete & then formatted, or just format would translate into the same operations by the installer then.

#10 OP Scar

Scar

Neowinian

Posted 20 December 2013 - 22:27

You are good then. Whether you clicked delete & then formatted, or just format would translate into the same operations by the installer then.

By having multiple partitions you mean separated memory within the same hard disk itself?, here's a screenshot of my partition as it was after installation without any changes. The other hard drives have nothing to do with my Windows files. C is the one I install Windows on.

Attached Images

• Partition.PNG

#11 +snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

Posted 20 December 2013 - 22:58   Best Answer

I meant your C: drive (Disk 2) would have multiple partitions showing (something like Disk 0 is showing) if you messed it up. It isn't, so are fine. I guess Windows didn't bother split up the boot partition from the operating system either in your case so it is all on one partition on C:.

#12 OP Scar

Scar

Neowinian

Posted 21 December 2013 - 09:36

Thank you.

#13 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 75
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 21 December 2013 - 14:01

"The other hard drives have nothing to do with my Windows files. C is the one I install Windows on."

No not really.. Your H is active and system.. So if you pulled H, your windows is not going to work ;) So while your disk 2 is where C, if you H or disk 0 was removed your system would not boot to windows.

#14 +snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

Posted 21 December 2013 - 14:59

"The other hard drives have nothing to do with my Windows files. C is the one I install Windows on."

No not really.. Your H is active and system.. So if you pulled H, your windows is not going to work ;) So while your disk 2 is where C, if you H or disk 0 was removed your system would not boot to windows.

You are right, good eye. That's why he doesn't have a separate system partition in C:! I bet this was also the case with the Win7 install also.

#15 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 75
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 21 December 2013 - 15:09

This is system seems really odd - these disks are all so small? Are they SSD, or just that old? All of them seem FULL!! Since he clearly has moved on from what the system came with for OEM.. He has little use of the OEM part and what I assume is some sort of recovery partition. I for one would blow those away, get almost 5GB of space to use.

I would prob suggest get say a 1TB disk and remove all these tiny disks.. I have to assume these disks are quite old at those sizes?

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!