Photo
catholics christian christmas carols silent night school district new york

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 ians18

ians18

Where Unprofessional Commenting Looks Better.

• 1,566 posts
  • OS: Windows 10 Technical Preview Build 9879, Windows 8.1 August update, OSX Yoesmite
  • Phone: Microsoft Lumia 521 on T-mo w/ WP 8.1 Update (Dev) & "Lumia Cyan" Firmware

Posted 21 December 2013 - 04:36

"A Long Island, N.Y., school district has apologized after it came under fire following a fifth grade choir’s removal of some key lyrics from the traditional Christmas song “Silent Night.”

Many of the religious lines that point to the very heart of the Christmas season were simply axed from the students’ Dec. 12 performance at Ralph J. Osgood Intermediate School.

“Christ the Savior is born,” “Holy infant so, tender and mild,” “round yon virgin, mother and child” and “Jesus, Lord at thy birth” were strategically removed from the student rendition; the lyrics were simply deleted and nothing replaced them.

The Kings Park Central School District has since apologized to members of the community who were outraged over the changes, WNBC-TV reported.

“The Board of Education sincerely apologizes to our community members who were offended by the change of lyrics to the song Silent Night and we share in your sentiment,” read a statementpublished on the district’s website. “This action was not approved by the Board of Education or district administration, nor is it their role to approve the songs chosen for our concerts.”

While officials said no disrespect was meant on the part of school staffers, they pledged to never allow such omissions to happen again, offering their “sincerest apologies.”

Watch the performance below and hear the omissions for yourself:

Keven McDonald, a parent whose son was in the orchestra during the sanitized version of “Silent Night,” spoke out against the changes at a recent school board meeting, Newsday reported.

“Silent Night’ at its core is a religious song. It’s a sacred Christian hymn that tells the story about the birth of Jesus,” he said. “What was performed was inappropriate and disrespectful to the Christian faith.”

In the end, it seems even the school district agreed with his sentiment."

--------

http://www.theblaze....f-silent-night/

#2 McKay

McKay

Worth the weight

• 6,022 posts
  • Phone: Xperia Z3

Posted 21 December 2013 - 04:42

If you want to sing a song, don't butcher it, pick someone else if you're worried about offending people. Infact just sing the freaking song, put out in the flyer what songs will be sang, who would honestly turn up to a choir, knowing full well what songs would be sang, and then complain about them?

#3 Gerowen

Gerowen

Neowinian Senior

• 3,525 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 05:10

"A Long Island, N.Y., school district has apologized after it came under fire following a fifth grade choir’s removal of some key lyrics from the traditional Christmas song “Silent Night.”

Many of the religious lines that point to the very heart of the Christmas season were simply axed from the students’ Dec. 12 performance at Ralph J. Osgood Intermediate School.

“Christ the Savior is born,” “Holy infant so, tender and mild,” “round yon virgin, mother and child” and “Jesus, Lord at thy birth” were strategically removed from the student rendition; the lyrics were simply deleted and nothing replaced them.

The Kings Park Central School District has since apologized to members of the community who were outraged over the changes, WNBC-TV reported.

“The Board of Education sincerely apologizes to our community members who were offended by the change of lyrics to the song Silent Night and we share in your sentiment,” read a statementpublished on the district’s website. “This action was not approved by the Board of Education or district administration, nor is it their role to approve the songs chosen for our concerts.”

While officials said no disrespect was meant on the part of school staffers, they pledged to never allow such omissions to happen again, offering their “sincerest apologies.”

Watch the performance below and hear the omissions for yourself:

Keven McDonald, a parent whose son was in the orchestra during the sanitized version of “Silent Night,” spoke out against the changes at a recent school board meeting, Newsday reported.

“Silent Night’ at its core is a religious song. It’s a sacred Christian hymn that tells the story about the birth of Jesus,” he said. “What was performed was inappropriate and disrespectful to the Christian faith.”

In the end, it seems even the school district agreed with his sentiment."

--------

http://www.theblaze....f-silent-night/

Political correctness gone wild.

"Christmas" is a Christian holiday.  I'm not Christian, and I acknowledge the existence of other holidays around this time such as Hanukkah, the winter solstice, Kwanzaa, etc., but if you're going to sing a song with religious roots, then accept the fact that it's a religious song.  If you want to keep it faith neutral, then pick a different song, don't butcher religious songs in an attempt to avoid being offensive.  With all the crap that seems to have come out of NYC lately (big soda bans, 5 round firearm magazine ban, salt ban), it seems to me like there isn't a complete spine in the entire city.

Edited by Gerowen, 21 December 2013 - 05:11.

#4 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 22,109 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:05

I'd argue that Christmas isn't a Christian holiday but rather a pagan holiday for the God Yule. If it was a Christian holiday to celebrate the birth of Jesus, it should be several months later ;) :p

#5 OP ians18

ians18

• 1,566 posts
  • OS: Windows 10 Technical Preview Build 9879, Windows 8.1 August update, OSX Yoesmite
  • Phone: Microsoft Lumia 521 on T-mo w/ WP 8.1 Update (Dev) & "Lumia Cyan" Firmware

Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:09

I'd argue that Christmas isn't a Christian holiday but rather a pagan holiday for the God Yule. If it was a Christian holiday to celebrate the birth of Jesus, it should be several months later ;) :p

Which is probably true, even Christians know this as the shepards only tend to their flock outside at night when it is warmer out (summer). The significance is to celebrate the day and remember it.

#6 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 22,109 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:15

Still funny how Christians take in and set up "Christmas" trees(juletre as we call it) and decorate it though, with the whole don't idolize other gods thing :)

#7 Gerowen

Gerowen

Neowinian Senior

• 3,525 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:18

Still funny how Christians take in and set up "Christmas" trees(juletre as we call it) and decorate it though, with the whole don't idolize other gods thing :)

They basically absorbed all the pagan holidays in an effort to squash them out and make people forget about them.  They did the same thing with Easter.  Spring fertility and new life festivals observed by various cultures all over the world got combined and absorbed by the story of Jesus's resurrection.  I make the joke every year of, "Remember kids, Jesus died on the cross and rose from the grave 3 days later, and that's why rabbits lay eggs!"  However, "Christmas" is the Christian holiday, and they have chosen to celebrate it annually on December 25th.

Edit: There are other holidays that occur on or near that date, but I don't think they would be referred to as "Christmas".

#8 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 16,057 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 09:16

If you want to sing a song, don't butcher it, pick someone else if you're worried about offending people. Infact just sing the freaking song, put out in the flyer what songs will be sang, who would honestly turn up to a choir, knowing full well what songs would be sang, and then complain about them?

My response to any idiot complaining about such a thing would be along the lines of.  "Oh shut up you cretin.  It's a Christian hymn singing about a Christian holiday. If you don't like it, don't listen to it."

#9 compl3x

compl3x

Space coyote

• 8,807 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:51

Who's offended by this kind of stuff? Or is it a case of people getting offended on other peoples' behalf? "We'd better not sing this because it might offend the Jews, Muslims, & Hindus.... Although none of those groups have made any request not to sing those songs."

The only thing this serves to do is convince already paranoid Christians that they are "under attack".

#10 cork1958

cork1958

Neowinian

• 8,344 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:58

Political correctness gone wild.

"Christmas" is a Christian holiday.  I'm not Christian, and I acknowledge the existence of other holidays around this time such as Hanukkah, the winter solstice, Kwanzaa, etc., but if you're going to sing a song with religious roots, then accept the fact that it's a religious song.  If you want to keep it faith neutral, then pick a different song, don't butcher religious songs in an attempt to avoid being offensive.  With all the crap that seems to have come out of NYC lately (big soda bans, 5 round firearm magazine ban, salt ban), it seems to me like there isn't a complete spine in the entire city.

More like political correctness gone TOTALLY absurd!

Totally stupid school! :(

I hope everyone got up and walked out.

#11 OP ians18

ians18

• 1,566 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 18:10

They basically absorbed all the pagan holidays in an effort to squash them out and make people forget about them.  They did the same thing with Easter.  Spring fertility and new life festivals observed by various cultures all over the world got combined and absorbed by the story of Jesus's resurrection.  I make the joke every year of, "Remember kids, Jesus died on the cross and rose from the grave 3 days later, and that's why rabbits lay eggs!"  However, "Christmas" is the Christian holiday, and they have chosen to celebrate it annually on December 25th.

Edit: There are other holidays that occur on or near that date, but I don't think they would be referred to as "Christmas".

As far as I know Good Friday and Easter has always been Christian holidays, but has only recently has Easter been commercialized with the Easter bunny.

Look up Easter on Wikipedia

#12 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 22,109 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 21:39

http://www.occultcen..._bunny_origins/

Or is it.

#13 +chconline

chconline

I review, not promote.

• 13,155 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 21:56

Who's offended by this kind of stuff? Or is it a case of people getting offended on other peoples' behalf? "We'd better not sing this because it might offend the Jews, Muslims, & Hindus.... Although none of those groups have made any request not to sing those songs."

Exactly. No one is offended except the people pretending to be PC. Seriously, if you're "offended" by Christmas, you really have issues. :s

I got Muslim friends who say Merry Christmas when it's Christmas.

#14 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• 6,654 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 21:58

Christians complain about the most trivial things.

#15 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,247 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 22:00

We need to 'modify' a few school districts.