• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 Original Poster

Original Poster

Systems Developer

• 3,022 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 23 December 2013 - 06:50

I am not religious but I am english and these songs are apart of my heritage (through the fact this is/was a christian country) I am so glad someone used the offensive line on this...so happy...I am sick of stuff being changed for other religions....for both america and here .... we need the australlian mind set....fit in or ###### off

#17 MDboyz

MDboyz

Neowinian

• 1,303 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 07:23

I'm Buddhist, but I don't get offended by them.  They are beautiful songs, and they should be sung as the way they are.

People start to be so freaking annoying lately.   It likes someone moves in my house, and told me to change my way of living.  Get the fuk off !!!

#18 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• 6,679 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:32

I am not religious but I am english and these songs are apart of my heritage (through the fact this is/was a christian country) I am so glad someone used the offensive line on this...so happy...I am sick of stuff being changed for other religions....for both america and here .... we need the australlian mind set....fit in or **** off

So do you sing it in the original, unadulterated German or do you modify it to suit your cultural needs?

#19 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 16,102 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:01

So do you sing it in the original, unadulterated German or do you modify it to suit your cultural needs?

Translating it into another language whilst keeping the meaning intact is not the same as deliberately dropping lines and changing the whole meaning of the song.

#20 thomastmc

thomastmc

Unofficial Attorney of Neowin

• 1,329 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 928

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:34

As far as I know Good Friday and Easter has always been Christian holidays, but has only recently has Easter been commercialized with the Easter bunny.
Look up Easter on Wikipedia

I took your advice...

The name of the Easter holiday comes from the pagan Germanic goddess Ēostre or Ostara, the goddess of fertility.

The original name for Easter and Passover are the same word in many languages, Pascha, and Passover is closely linked with Easter symbolically. So, it was probably more specifically a Jewish holiday long before it ever became a Christian holiday, according to Wikipedia. 

The first mention of the Easter Bunny (Hare) and Easter Eggs was in 1682, when it was a German tradition. It is first known to be practiced as a custom in America in the 1700s.

It's certainly no coincidence that rabbits and eggs, symbols of fertility common with the pagan celebration of the life giving spring, are celebrated along with Easter. People have been celebrating fertility around the March Equinox for millennia.

#21 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• 6,679 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:32

Translating it into another language whilst keeping the meaning intact is not the same as deliberately dropping lines and changing the whole meaning of the song.

I don't think they have changed the whole meaning. It's still a Xmas carol, but they've made it appropriate for their cultural needs. It's just a different type of translation.

To be honest, it's a pretty awful song anyway and could do with changing.

#22 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 16,102 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 14:10

I don't think they have changed the whole meaning. It's still a Xmas carol, but they've made it appropriate for their cultural needs. It's just a different type of translation.

Fairly sure their "cultural needs" are Christian. It just seems to be a case of some moron in the local gov office having his PC hat stuck on his head, and his head crammed up his backside...

#23 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• 8,074 posts
  • Phone: Android (4.4.2)

Posted 23 December 2013 - 16:01

We need to 'modify' a few school districts.

Nah, we need to "modify" religion into non-existence.

#24 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:37

All this PC nonsense just needs to go. People are getting very tired of it.

#25 trag3dy

trag3dy

Neowinian Senior

• 6,947 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:51

Nah, we need to "modify" religion into non-existence.

Because my views and opinions matter more than yours. Right?

Lets try this. Being a Christian has no affect on other people so why do you care if they are Christian? 

Do you recognize this argument? Yes it's bad to force beliefs onto other people but isn't that what you're trying to do here? Doesn't it go both ways?

I get tired of seeing these kinds of comments on neowin.

#26 compl3x

compl3x

Space coyote

• 8,988 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 24 December 2013 - 04:30

Lets try this. Being a Christian has no affect on other people so why do you care if they are Christian? 

Demonstrably false.

#27 Shiranui

Shiranui

Iconoclast

• 4,115 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 04:33

I'm not a big fan of silent night, but why sing it if you are going to mess with the words?

#28 trag3dy

trag3dy

Neowinian Senior

• 6,947 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 04:44

Demonstrably false.

How so? Forcing beliefs onto others is annoying yes. But that's beside the point.

#29 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 27,237 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 04:46

Damn, you remove all of that from the song and there isn't much song left.

#30 compl3x

compl3x

Space coyote

• 8,988 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 24 December 2013 - 06:00

How so? Forcing beliefs onto others is annoying yes. But that's beside the point.

Proselyting is built into Christianity. Not every Christian actively engages in attempts to convert people but to argue Christians or Christianity has no "affect" on anyone else is obviously false. Christianity has influenced societies and governments for hundreds and hundreds of years.