is this much fluctuation normal?

Hey, I am downloading 5 different well seeded linux distros to play with my new router and gigabit internet. I have done this test with 5 and 1 file. results are the same... I am less worried about getting the full speeds here, more worried about the fluctuations. Why does it do this?

11j41eo.png

3178640149.png

I can come up with 10 reasons for why download speed is not as fast as a speed test. But can't explain a sustained reason for these fluctuations. I ran this test for hours and this pattern kept repeating itself. 

You might be overloading the modem/router with so many connections, what brand/model is it? Make sure in your torrent client you don't set the connections too high.

Vs testing a torrent why not download the file directly from their servers, do you get a constant or less fluctuations then.. There could be a bajillion reasons why your getting widely fluctuating speeds.. You jumping to different seeds or peers for different parts where speeds are different. Your using up your upload to send to other peers so this lowers your download.

You could be getting choked and having to jump around, etc etc..

Your picture is so freaking small I can not really make out what speeds your getting, and it seems your rate limit is moving along with your download speed vs being a straight line.. So you got something rate limiting you in the client?

• Like 1

Router is an AC66U. updated to the latest firmware.

Maximum speed I get is 16MB/s speed test gives me numbers in the 80s. 

I am not limiting the speeds in any way.

500 global connections and 50 per torrent. 

upload is <100 kB/s

It looks like i am connected to the same peers, the speed just keeps going up and down.

I did use the direct download link for SUSE, the speeds fluctuate there too. I have no graphing ability with that though. 

I tried uploading the picture again. this one doesn't re-size you should be able to zoom in. 

picturtnt.png

What resolution do you run like 640x480 that picture is not very readable. Can not make out scale on side.

So you limit to under 100KB or that is what you saw as limit? So what is the overall speed of your download in time.. OpenSuse if 4.x GB.. How long does it take to donwload overall not looking at the graph?

Also why the limit of 50, bump that up to say 200.. You do understand those limits are suppose to be based on your speeds.

There little guide thing only goes to 100Mb upload, your at 7 times that shows number of global connections at 1000 and per torrent 125.. I suggest you run your bandwidth test under setup guide -- what does it say your settings should be?

With something like BitTorrent I'd say that's fairly normal. Modern clients don't use nice long lived TCP connections, they use shorter bursts of UDP traffic that will jump up and down depending on lots of different factors.

Try disabling ?TP and any other forms of UDP traffic and try again, it should fallback to TCP then.

With something like BitTorrent I'd say that's fairly normal. Modern clients don't use nice long lived TCP connections, they use shorter bursts of UDP traffic that will jump up and down depending on lots of different factors.

Try disabling ?TP and any other forms of UDP traffic and try again, it should fallback to TCP then.

^^^^

Yes,

That is exactly why torrents suck!

You mention wireless router and crap speeds like this

Maximum speed I get is 16MB/s speed test gives me numbers in the 80s.

Are you doing this over wireless?

Check if you're not just using a slow disk. With large multi-file torrents I sometimes get the same issues during the first few minutes.

When the speed drops, see if you can see the "disk full XX%" warning in the bottom status bar thing. It means ?Torrent can't write downloaded data away fast enough and has to soft-pause the torrent for a bit.