Acer Aspire 5750 Memory Upgrade

Hi,

I have the Aspire 5750 Laptop which came with 4GB (2 x 2GB Sticks)

I decided to upgrade and bought 1x 8GB stick without checking if it was supported. I presumed it was...

I left one 2GB stick in and replaced the other with the new 8GB. I didn't think it would work as I checked this morning on the interweb and found that each slot only supports 4GB each. This info was from a thread two years old though so I thought that I would try it anyway thinking that the BIOS updates that have been supplied since release may have allowed more memory to be installed. In windows and the BIOS it shows as 12GB total. Now 2 + 8 = 10 so why is it showing 12? If the 8GB stick is not support would it still show in Windows and the BIOS? If so I take it that its not even using any of the 12GB. The laptop doesn't seem any slower like its only using the other 2GB stick. In fact it seems a little quicker but that may be because I replaced the HD too with a 7200rpm instead of the old 5400rpm which started to fail.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what happening and if its using the 8GB or should I send it back and get 2 4GB sticks instead?

OK A little update... I removed the original 2GB and booted up. Windows shows 8GB which is correct. So my laptop does seem to support 8GB per slot. I then added the 2Gb back and this time swapped slots. Booted back up again to windows showing 12GB. It seems there is a conflict with my old memory stick

should the ram exceeds what the mobo can support, windows will show that you have x amount of gigs of ram installed but in parenthesis, it will show how much is usable. Based on the specs of your laptop, the max the laptop can read is 8 gb. Which in your case, windows can read that you have 12gb of ram installed but only 8 gb is usable. A single 8gb stick is fine. 

Honestly, none of the information makes any logical sense (8GB + 2GB somehow gives you 12GB?)

Without knowing the exact model (you'll have to look on the bottom of the computer; the full model number would be Acer Aspire 5750-#### -- what I'd need to know is the ####) it's pretty hard to determine exactly how much max memory your computer can support., but through a quick google search it seems likely your computer only supports 8GB (http://www.crucial.com/upgrade/Acer-memory/Aspire+Notebooks/Aspire+5750-upgrades.html