What air passengers hate

Americans ranked the "Inattentive Parent" as the most annoying type of fellow air traveler, defeating the "Rear Seat Kicker," "The Aromatic Passenger" and "The Boozer," according to a list by online travel agent Expedia.com.

The list, compiled by consulting firm Northstar, ranked the personal annoyances of 1,001 Americans who had flown on an airplane in the past five years.

"Most of us, when we look at the list of offending behaviors, can admit to having committed one or more of the violations," John Morrey, vice president and general manager of Expedia.com, said in a press release.

Of the respondents, 63 percent said they "often feel annoyed" by parents traveling with noisy children, with 59 percent of those under 35 saying they would pay extra to sit in designated quiet zones if airlines offered them.

Kids' crying is not the only sound passengers find obnoxious. When asked how they feel about sitting next to talkative passengers, 73 percent said they were filled with "dread."

However, what pilots and attendants used to joke was an exclusive "Mile High Club" may have more members than previously thought. Ten percent of passengers said they have "been intimate" in-flight.

source

Has anyone here encountered somebody kicking the back of their seat on an airline? It's not something I've ever seen outside of a Movie or TV Show/

Has anyone here encountered somebody kicking the back of their seat on an airline? It's not something I've ever seen outside of a Movie or TV Show/

Yes for 4 hours, kids with ignorant parents.

Has anyone here encountered somebody kicking the back of their seat on an airline?

Boston to Heathrow.  Started before the plane even took off, so I turned around to the German kid and father and simply said "Please, if your child kicks my chair between here and Heathrow, I shall be equally as annoying to you.  Please stop him, keep him stopped and we will have a pleasant flight".  And it worked - staying civil with a hint of a threat is always good.

Now, on my flight from Heathrow to Miami, we had the 2 side seats on a 2-3-2 configuration.  My wife was sat behind an autistic/aspergic child.  He was with a carer, NOT a parent.  This carer was the most useless person I have ever seen.  I know a little about such issues, and he acted 100% wrong.  Every time the poor child was about to doze off, the carer would tell him about Disneyworld and wind him up.  This lead to him shaking violently in his seat.  This got to the point whereby my wife ended up wearing her drink.

I am not heartless, so I had a very quiet and subtle word with a steward, asking if there were seats we could move to, but there were not.  So I wrote a note and tapped the carer on the shoulder and passed it over saying thanks.  It simply read that the child he was caring for currently wanted to sleep, as did most of the people on the plane.  I can understand anyone being excited about Florida, but the boy was not - he didn't care there and then, so stop projecting your own excitement onto someone who is incapable of caring - do your job and let the poor lad rest.

He leant back and said "###### off, British c*nt".  Unfortunately the steward heard/saw all of this, and took the initiative to move the carer to one of the middle 3 seats, swapping with the boys sister.  Job done.  I smiled at the carer, who now had to sit next to a REALLY big guy.  But the story doesn't end here.

The steward came over and chatted, found out we were on honeymoon, and said he thought I showed a lot of restraint but obviously understood the childs needs.  He gave us a free bottle of champagne.  Now, don't get me wrong, I like champagne, but never drink when flying - it dehydrates me hugely.  So we put it in out bag.  One thing leads to another, and all holiday we never got round to drinking it.  I had been harping on about how good the airline company was, so I figured if we were over weight limit upon the return (souvenirs, etc) I would give the bottle to the check-in desk.  Except at Orlando airport, they had the shittiest attitude.  I asked if removing the bottle was likely to fix things, and they re-weighed.  I told them what I planned to do with the bottle, but their attitude stunk, so I gave it to some random couple who looked like they were arriving.  May have seemed really odd to them! LOL

ya down to orlando to disneyworld all the kids on that flight were bonkers 

Happens to me every now and then. Usually what I do to get them to stop is to recline the seat as much as possible, and then pound my back against it a few times while they're trying to eat.

When the captain needlessly announces:

• How high the plane is.
  • How cast it's going.
  • The names of the staff.
  • The temperature outside in mid flight.
  • Never announcing how long until we will arrive at the destination
  • All of the above, repeated randomly for no reason, and it pausing the in-flight movie.
  • Charging $30 for a low bandwidth WiFi, on a 2 hour flight, where you cannot use it 30 mins after take off and 30 mins before landing.  WTF?

My main annoyance with Air Travel? I've 6'3 and it's mostly my legs, my knees are up against the chair infront always. So if its a long flight I pretty much have to book early and pay the extra charge for the seats at the front or the ones by the exit.

there should be flights with no kids

when i take a red-eye to Las Vegas there is no reason for a newborn onboard.  :angry:

Don't be so selfish.

Americans ranked the "Inattentive Parent" as the most annoying type of fellow air traveler, defeating the "Rear Seat Kicker," "The Aromatic Passenger" and "The Boozer," according to a list by online travel agent Expedia.com.

The boozer isn't so bad, talks rubbish for a bit than falls asleep. Probably the best type of passenger.

When I travel economy I hate when the person in front reclines their chair (space is so tiny to begin with, doesn't need to get any smaller). Aromatic Passengers, I dont think I've sat next to one that was really bad and the ones that were a bit smelly I turn on the airvents/aircon and it seems to work well repelling the smell. Inattentive parents I'd say is annoying cause its hard to tell off parents in-front of their kids (or atleast for me) unless I'm tired then I can vent at anything. lol

Don't be so selfish.

There is nothing selfish about what he said. Red eye flights are meant for having a snooze, hence the name. Parents should be sensitive to such matters and either fly them if they know they can keep their child quiet or arrange alternative times.

• Like 2

There is nothing selfish about what he said. Red eye flights are meant for having a snooze, hence the name. Parents should be sensitive to such matters and either fly them if they know they can keep their child quiet or arrange alternative times.

Red eye flights are not there for people to have a sleep.  They're simply another option added to an airline's schedule.  It is there because there is a demand for people to fly at that time, not because people want to fly to sleep.

If I book a flight, I book the time which best suits me.  It a parent believes they need to be on that flight, they should book that flight.

• Like 2

Red eye flights are not there for people to have a sleep. They're simply another option added to an airline's schedule. It is there because there is a demand for people to fly at that time, not because people want to fly to sleep.

If I book a flight, I book the time which best suits me. It a parent believes they need to be on that flight, they should book that flight.

More often than not, passengers tend to try to get as much sleep as they can on those flights. If a parent knows that his/her child is likely to cause disturbance to other passengers and said parent is unable/unwilling to avoid such situation from occurring, they are inconsiderate and rude and deserve every evil look, grumpy mumble and whatever else comes their way. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

• Like 3

More often than not, passengers tend to try to get as much sleep as they can on those flights. If a parent knows that his/her child is likely to cause disturbance to other passengers and said parent is unable/unwilling to avoid such situation from occurring, they are inconsiderate and rude and deserve every evil look, grumpy mumble and whatever else comes their way. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

It sounds like you do not have any children.

Red eye flights are not there for people to have a sleep.

Disagree.  This was one of the defining factors of so called Red-Eye flights, and if not "for" it, it became a known trend.  As such it should be considered.

• Like 2

You're only assuming that it's the need of many.  When did it become your right to demand what sort of people you associate with yourself?  Where did this rule come from?  The airline industry most certainly hasn't been spreading this as fact, and as I said.  Anyone who the airline books on it's scheduled service, can book it.

You're more than welcome to express your opinion.  But I still find it very selfish.  Perhaps you should book a flight where you can travel during the day, and you wouldn't need sleep.  Why don't you change the way you travel?  Does it not suit your needs?

You're only assuming that it's the need of many.  When did it become your right to demand what sort of people you associate with yourself?  Where did this rule come from?  The airline industry most certainly hasn't been spreading this as fact, and as I said.  Anyone who the airline books on it's scheduled service, can book it.

You're more than welcome to express your opinion.  But I still find it very selfish.  Perhaps you should book a flight where you can travel during the day, and you wouldn't need sleep.  Why don't you change the way you travel?  Does it not suit your needs?

It is a fact, whether widely known or little, that certain flights to certain destinations at certain times during certain days more often than not feature a large contingent of people travelling on business matters. Whether you or anyone else knows this or not does not change the fact that this is so. You may or may not know this, but some airlines already ban kids in certain cabin classes and there is a drive to do so on more airlines, which I applaud and support.

As for your other point, why should I book a flight during the day? The whole point of booking red eye flights is to make business travel more efficient, by minimising impact on the working day travel has. I can do little for my customers at 37,500 feet up in the air. There is no chance they will accept me telling them that I plan on taking a leisurely mid-morning flight to arrive just after lunch if their business closes 3 or so hours later. It will leave me next to no time to do what I am being paid for. So no, it does not and will not suit my needs.

• Like 1

So you are more important than travelling families? Force them to be put out, so you can get some shut eye. Give me a break, a flight is a flight. It's scheduled at night because there is demand for it.

If a family with a kid have to travel at night, big deal. The world doesn't revolve around you.

It is a fact, whether widely known or little, that certain flights to certain destinations at certain times during certain days more often than not feature a large contingent of people travelling on business matters. Whether you or anyone else knows this or not does not change the fact that this is so. You may or may not know this, but some airlines already ban kids in certain cabin classes and there is a drive to do so on more airlines, which I applaud and support.

As for your other point, why should I book a flight during the day? The whole point of booking red eye flights is to make business travel more efficient, by minimising impact on the working day travel has. I can do little for my customers at 37,500 feet up in the air. There is no chance they will accept me telling them that I plan on taking a leisurely mid-morning flight to arrive just after lunch if their business closes 3 or so hours later. It will leave me next to no time to do what I am being paid for. So no, it does not and will not suit my needs.

I think you need to get over yourself. Your needs are no more important than anyone else. If you need to sleep so badly then book a seat in one of these classes that you say don't accept children.