• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#16 vanx

vanx

Neowinian

• 1,392 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:01

Don't be so selfish.

There is nothing selfish about what he said. Red eye flights are meant for having a snooze, hence the name. Parents should be sensitive to such matters and either fly them if they know they can keep their child quiet or arrange alternative times.

#17 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• 8,942 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 - SM-G900i

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:20

There is nothing selfish about what he said. Red eye flights are meant for having a snooze, hence the name. Parents should be sensitive to such matters and either fly them if they know they can keep their child quiet or arrange alternative times.

Red eye flights are not there for people to have a sleep.  They're simply another option added to an airline's schedule.  It is there because there is a demand for people to fly at that time, not because people want to fly to sleep.

If I book a flight, I book the time which best suits me.  It a parent believes they need to be on that flight, they should book that flight.

#18 vanx

vanx

Neowinian

• 1,392 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:34

Red eye flights are not there for people to have a sleep. They're simply another option added to an airline's schedule. It is there because there is a demand for people to fly at that time, not because people want to fly to sleep.

If I book a flight, I book the time which best suits me. It a parent believes they need to be on that flight, they should book that flight.

More often than not, passengers tend to try to get as much sleep as they can on those flights. If a parent knows that his/her child is likely to cause disturbance to other passengers and said parent is unable/unwilling to avoid such situation from occurring, they are inconsiderate and rude and deserve every evil look, grumpy mumble and whatever else comes their way. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

#19 +Scott Hellewell

Scott Hellewell

Software Developer

• 119 posts
  • Phone: Evo 4G LTE

Posted 22 December 2013 - 12:12

More often than not, passengers tend to try to get as much sleep as they can on those flights. If a parent knows that his/her child is likely to cause disturbance to other passengers and said parent is unable/unwilling to avoid such situation from occurring, they are inconsiderate and rude and deserve every evil look, grumpy mumble and whatever else comes their way. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

It sounds like you do not have any children.

#20 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 33,983 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 13:25

Red eye flights are not there for people to have a sleep.

Disagree.  This was one of the defining factors of so called Red-Eye flights, and if not "for" it, it became a known trend.  As such it should be considered.

#21 vanx

vanx

Neowinian

• 1,392 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 14:03

It sounds like you do not have any children.

You are correct. However, I fly on business a lot, often on these red eye flights. As such, I am qualified to express an opinion on such matters.

#22 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• 8,942 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 14:11

You're only assuming that it's the need of many.  When did it become your right to demand what sort of people you associate with yourself?  Where did this rule come from?  The airline industry most certainly hasn't been spreading this as fact, and as I said.  Anyone who the airline books on it's scheduled service, can book it.

You're more than welcome to express your opinion.  But I still find it very selfish.  Perhaps you should book a flight where you can travel during the day, and you wouldn't need sleep.  Why don't you change the way you travel?  Does it not suit your needs?

#23 vanx

vanx

Neowinian

• 1,392 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 15:02

You're only assuming that it's the need of many.  When did it become your right to demand what sort of people you associate with yourself?  Where did this rule come from?  The airline industry most certainly hasn't been spreading this as fact, and as I said.  Anyone who the airline books on it's scheduled service, can book it.

You're more than welcome to express your opinion.  But I still find it very selfish.  Perhaps you should book a flight where you can travel during the day, and you wouldn't need sleep.  Why don't you change the way you travel?  Does it not suit your needs?

It is a fact, whether widely known or little, that certain flights to certain destinations at certain times during certain days more often than not feature a large contingent of people travelling on business matters. Whether you or anyone else knows this or not does not change the fact that this is so. You may or may not know this, but some airlines already ban kids in certain cabin classes and there is a drive to do so on more airlines, which I applaud and support.

As for your other point, why should I book a flight during the day? The whole point of booking red eye flights is to make business travel more efficient, by minimising impact on the working day travel has. I can do little for my customers at 37,500 feet up in the air. There is no chance they will accept me telling them that I plan on taking a leisurely mid-morning flight to arrive just after lunch if their business closes 3 or so hours later. It will leave me next to no time to do what I am being paid for. So no, it does not and will not suit my needs.

#24 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• 8,942 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 16:41

So you are more important than travelling families? Force them to be put out, so you can get some shut eye. Give me a break, a flight is a flight. It's scheduled at night because there is demand for it.

If a family with a kid have to travel at night, big deal. The world doesn't revolve around you.

#25 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• 6,454 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 16:53

It is a fact, whether widely known or little, that certain flights to certain destinations at certain times during certain days more often than not feature a large contingent of people travelling on business matters. Whether you or anyone else knows this or not does not change the fact that this is so. You may or may not know this, but some airlines already ban kids in certain cabin classes and there is a drive to do so on more airlines, which I applaud and support.

As for your other point, why should I book a flight during the day? The whole point of booking red eye flights is to make business travel more efficient, by minimising impact on the working day travel has. I can do little for my customers at 37,500 feet up in the air. There is no chance they will accept me telling them that I plan on taking a leisurely mid-morning flight to arrive just after lunch if their business closes 3 or so hours later. It will leave me next to no time to do what I am being paid for. So no, it does not and will not suit my needs.

I think you need to get over yourself. Your needs are no more important than anyone else. If you need to sleep so badly then book a seat in one of these classes that you say don't accept children.

#26 vanx

vanx

Neowinian

• 1,392 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 16:56

So you are more important than travelling families? Force them to be put out, so you can get some shut eye. Give me a break, a flight is a flight. It's scheduled at night because there is demand for it.

If a family with a kid have to travel at night, big deal. The world doesn't revolve around you.

I am not more important than travelling families, but neither are they more important than me. Parents need to prepare their children for travel, make sure that they are amused and fed during the flight as well as discipline their little darlings beforehand. While they may be going on a nice holiday, it does not mean that I am. If I need to get some sleep or some work done, they should respect that.

#27 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• 6,454 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 17:02

I am not more important than travelling families, but neither are they more important than me. Parents need to prepare their children for travel, make sure that they are amused and fed during the flight as well as discipline their little darlings beforehand. While they may be going on a nice holiday, it does not mean that I am. If I need to get some sleep or some work done, they should respect that.

Unfortunately, children don't just come with an off switch. It would be great if they do but they don't and you need to just accept that they'll be loud from time to time. It doesn't automatically mean that the parents aren't doing their best to maintain quiet. Children can be annoying but so can people doing business on public transport.

#28 webeagle12

webeagle12

Neowinian Senior

• 7,229 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 17:03

So the world should revolve around you?

Overnight flights are overnight flights. Airlines except people to get rest and that why they turn off almost all the lights. Just because you can't control your child and don't let at least 75% of people around you to sleep is your damn problem. 

#29 He's Dead Jim

He's Dead Jim

Neowinian Senior

• 2,154 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 17:13

When I was young, one of my mates worked in a small airline(owned by Miles Copeland no less), anyway, he got myself and another bloke free return tickets on a flight, and we did a "Rose Street in Edinburgh pub crawl" for the afternoon.., jeepers, were we the most hated passengers on the return flight... :D

#30 Fahim S.

Fahim S.

Neowinian Senior

• 2,935 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4 16GB by LG

Posted 22 December 2013 - 17:15

Just because you can't control your child

:rofl:  Funniest thing I have read all day - clearly you don't have kids either.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!