What air passengers hate

So the world should revolve around you?

Overnight flights are overnight flights. Airlines except people to get rest and that why they turn off almost all the lights. Just because you can't control your child and don't let at least 75% of people around you to sleep is your damn problem. 

No it shouldn't revolve around me.  I don't have kids, so I fail to see how any of my argument could possibly point to me thinking that way.  Your 75% is made up, you're assuming 75% of the people around you don't want kids there, when in reality, that number would be a lot lower.  Because IMO, from my experience on board aircraft, most people are very understanding to parents with children.

Again, you're assuming the reason they turn the lights off.  While yes, it is to allow passengers who wish to sleep the opportunity to do it with less light, it's actually there to help reduce jet lag.  If you don't get to sleep on a plane because there is a child with it's parents, who booked the flight like you, and have the same rights on board as you, maybe a hotel room is better suited to you.  The fact that you think you have some complex that makes you feel that because you believe these flights are for sleeping, you have the right to demand others not be allowed to travel.  It's your flawed facts that has given you these thoughts.

Like I've said.  The airlines don't have the rule in place, they allow their flights to be booked by whoever has the cash, and whoever needs to travel.  Red eye flights were not made for business men to have sleep, they were made to add another schedule to the route.  You'll also find that the majority of flights 5 odd hours or longer are so they are landing at a decent hour at their destination.

Another reason they put these flights on late is because that's the only time the aircraft is available to fly the sector.

Just bring noise-cancelling headphones!

This from someone that travels with kids (well teenagers now!) and logs 100K+ miles every year. Like it or not, travel is now very cheap and getting cheaper, so airlines will not be turning passengers away.

Just bring noise-cancelling headphones!

This from someone that travels with kids (well teenagers now!) and logs 100K+ miles every year. Like it or not, travel is now very cheap and getting cheaper, so airlines will not be turning passengers away.

Unfortunately noise-cancelling headphones don't block noises like crying. They do a good job of blocking the noise of the plane but then the sound of a crying baby becomes clearer (as I recently found on a 20 hour flight :))

Wow, Steryotyping much here guys?!

I am sorry to say that whilst there may be some parents who let their kids do what they want with no regards for others, most do try to keep their kids in check but when you have this tiny ball of energy and you tell them to sit for 1, 2 hours or whatever eventually boredom sets in. Unfortunately kids don't understand logic, colouring in books, sweets etc will only keep them entertained for so long and chances are once or twice they will act up and guess what, when a kid acts up and is told no, they don't like it and react more! Therefore sometimes what might be percieved as "inattentive parenting" is actually playing the odds of letting the little things slide for fear of causing a massive strop in which no amount of pleading will stop!

I have lived on both sides of the fence; I used to travel quite a bit with work and have had a few over night flights. I also have a daughter than whilst hasn't been on holiday as much as I would like she has been on flights from as young as 6 months old.

When I with work on an overnight flight of course i would like to get to sleep and if kids are keeping me awake of course it frustrates me, but I also know that when I took my daughter on the 12 hour flight to China when she was 6 she did not sleep and could not sleep. There was a point where both me and the misses were stood up so she could lie on all three seats, she had her PJ's on, her favourite teddy, a blanket and an eye mask but could not settle. By the end of the flight a 6 year old child had been awake roughly 17 hours which at that age is starting to push things so when she gets upset because she doesn't understand she has to stay in her seat, I think everyone should come to understand that.

At the end of the day, we all paid our fare so deal with it. You may want to shut your eyes and go to sleep but sometimes as a parent I want to put my child down and tell them to run up and down the aisle 30 times to burn some energy, I don't out of curtosy of the other passengers so try and share the same with me if my child is stressing out from being glued to her seat for hours on end.

I consider myself lucky.  I seem to be able to completely filter out child noises.  Genuinely, a baby could be crying all flight and I won't even recognise it.  I am gonna make one ###### father!

I consider myself lucky.  I seem to be able to completely filter out child noises.  Genuinely, a baby could be crying all flight and I won't even recognise it.  I am gonna make one ****ty father!

Wow, that is a good skill to have.  Childless travellers might not like this but it does get easier to filter out child noises once you have kids of your own.  It's necessary to stay sane :)

Unfortunately, children don't just come with an off switch. It would be great if they do but they don't and you need to just accept that they'll be loud from time to time. It doesn't automatically mean that the parents aren't doing their best to maintain quiet. Children can be annoying but so can people doing business on public transport.

Duct tape and nylon rope work pretty well.

My biggest annoyance are the people who get annoyed by petty little things, you'd think they were 8 years old the way they act.

I always feel sorry for parents of young kids with the looks they get and people tutting if their kid makes any sound at all.

I used to say that. The statement assumes a level of control over the little people that couldn't be further detached from reality.

Sorry! I don't mean to sound condescending but I've walked many a mile in both sets of shoes.

I hear ya. Kids have a mind of their own sometimes.

Why would I take a flight if I am not going over an ocean?

You've really lost me here 

I regularly get airflights as opposed to train or driving.  Why would you not seems more of a valid question to me!?

Why would I take a flight if I am not going over an ocean?

You've really lost me here

I flew from Zurich to Amsterdam about a month ago. Granted, it was a connecting flight to get me to Ireland, but there are plenty of reasons to take a flight without crossing an ocean. Take the size of the US, as well. Having done a check, Google says that going from Los Angeles to New York would take you about 40 hours in the car, compared to flying where it will only take you five hours.

I think I've only taken a red-eye flight once, and I was too tired to care about the other passengers.

Apparently a red-eye flight is defined as a flight that leaves late at night to arrive early in the morning. There's nothing to say that its express purpose was to allow travellers to sleep. The term itself comes from having red eyes as part of fatigue, which can be aggravated by travelling at night.

I think by now I can deal with most annoyances on plains, the idiots who binge drink that smelly wine, the loud children, the seat kickers or people who stink. The one thing I still can't deal with is plane food. OMG, its all microwaved and tastes like garbage. 

loud kids, loud people in general, seat kicking if it happens but lately I've not had that issue, storing carry on baggage (and there is a lot of it now cause of checked baggage fees) over another persons seat rather your own, those that are in the back of the plane or a seat behind you rushing up to get out first just because they either didn't carry something on or they feel they are special to pass everyone else. I always like to fly and get front seats to get on last and off first to avoid running into other people or whatever and its very annoying to have people do this out of turn of seating numbers.