MPCHC Or VLC

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 +bman

bman

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 22 December 2013 - 03:39

I am a long time user for Media Player Classic Home Cinema, with my own custom setup of codecs (from a highly rated source).

The issue though is, you have to install all these apps, change all the settings, etc.. I don't feel like doing that this time around, you think VLC would be just as good?

I know this area can be quite opinionated, but is there really a reason to do all that over just a single nice install?

#2 +snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

Electrical & Computer Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 29
  • Phone: dumb phone

Posted 22 December 2013 - 04:59

I am a long time user for Media Player Classic Home Cinema, with my own custom setup of codecs (from a highly rated source).

The issue though is, you have to install all these apps, change all the settings, etc.. I don't feel like doing that this time around, you think VLC would be just as good?

I know this area can be quite opinionated, but is there really a reason to do all that over just a single nice install?

Consider this: would VLC be much different than just installing and using the defaults for a codec pack with MPC-HC (for example CCCP)?

The one reason I can think of why you'd want to go with codec packs is that you can get hardware acceleration in some cases (I have quicksync for example on my laptop).

EDIT: in the VLC developers defense, I feel they are pretty clever and I hold the project in high regard. I just don't like the UI as much as MPC (it's kind of cluttered in the options menu).

#3 OP +bman

bman

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 December 2013 - 05:04

After no one answered (I was impatient) I went a

head and did my custom MPCHC.

Yes

if you installed CCCP or similar, it would probably be the same as VLC, but I don't do that. I install custom codecs, madVR, LAV filters etc...and customize all the settings. It ends up being a much higher quality image and sound.

#4 +snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

Posted 22 December 2013 - 05:16

After no one answered (I was impatient) I went a

head and did my custom MPCHC.

Yes

if you installed CCCP or similar, it would probably be the same as VLC, but I don't do that. I install custom codecs, madVR, LAV filters etc...and customize all the settings. It ends up being a much higher quality image and sound.

By any chance were you using this guide? :

http://myanimelist.n...d=516729&show=0

#5 FlintyV

FlintyV

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 December 2013 - 06:07

Latest MPCHC nightly build has LAV Filters in so no need for codec packs :D - http://nightly.mpc-hc.org/

No need to change a single setting out of the box.

That or PotPlayer is quite good.

#6 OP +bman

bman

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 December 2013 - 06:08

Yes, well a variation on that setup.

By any chance were you using this guide? :

http://myanimelist.n...d=516729&show=0

#7 MindTrickz

MindTrickz

That's no way to treat a lady!

Posted 22 December 2013 - 06:41

You could use VLC, but the quality is not nearly as good as MPC-HC + MadVR. It's a only 10 minute setup time after which you are not required to tinker with it again; at least not until you do a fresh reinstall of Windows.

I think it's worth it

123.jpg

8v10bitcomp.jpg

#8 +snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

Posted 22 December 2013 - 07:12

You could use VLC, but the quality is not nearly as good as MPC-HC + MadVR. It's a only 10 minute setup time after which you are not required to tinker with it again; at least not until you do a fresh reinstall of Windows.

Do you know whether those dithering issues still exist (that picture appears to be an example showing VLC issues from 2011)? I'll admit that I don't use VLC much, but I've never seen such issues when I have.

#9 MindTrickz

MindTrickz

Posted 22 December 2013 - 07:29

Do you know whether those dithering issues still exist (that picture appears to be an example showing VLC issues from 2011)? I'll admit that I don't use VLC much, but I've never seen such issues when I have.

Those are still common in Anime, TV shows & movies. Here is a more recent comparison from some months ago. Notice in particular the text in the background and the faces.

http://screenshotcom...omparison/38184

#10 +snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

Posted 22 December 2013 - 07:42

Those are still common in Anime, TV shows & movies. Here is a more recent comparison from some months ago. Notice in particular the text in the background and the faces.

http://screenshotcom...omparison/38184

That isn't the dithering issue. That looks like a comparison of upscaled video to show that MADVR is using a better (sharper) upscaling algorithm.

#11 MindTrickz

MindTrickz

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:17

That isn't the dithering issue. That looks like a comparison of upscaled video to show that MADVR is using a better (sharper) upscaling algorithm.

My mistake, I wasn't highlighting the dithering in that comparison link. But the dithering still exists and is noticeable in 8bit and 10bit(hi10P).

#12 UseLess

UseLess

Neowinian

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:46

While I know there is a lot of controversy about it, I actually prefer using KMPlayer out of the box (with and the Haali renderer it comes built-in with). Haali seems to provide quality equal to that of others, e.g. madVR. I find I enjoy a lot of the features from KMPlayer

-Easy renderer switching (if Haali doesn't work for anything)

-Easy AV resync

-Auto file playing (if you open S01E01, it will automatically play S01E02 once the first video is finished - can disable/enable as needed)

-High quality and wide range of post-processing effects (sharpen, deinterlace, etc)

The latest version of KMP however is full of crapware and I no longer use it (MUCH cry :cry:) so I have resorted to reverting back to an earlier version (3.5.x).

KMP is still my media player of choice, and it's amazing, however I struggle to recommend it since the latest is not usable. If there is a one-click install that is just as easy to use and feature packed, I am all ears! =)

#13 +_Alexander

_Alexander

Neowinian

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:56

I think it's worth it

*snip*

It is also very hardware/battery taxing - worse than VLC.

Issues that you talk about, such as needing dithering and 10-bit are only prevalent in a situation where your compressed copy is nowhere near the original quality

And in other cases, are a placebo and/or misconfiguration. For example MindTrickz showed two screenshots using two screenshots which show a difference between 16-235 luminosity and 0-255.

The best thing to do is to use MPC with LAV and in LAV settings enable native DXVA.

VLC seems the game equivalent of a "cheap port" - expected from an application that runs on Linux. This seems to be enforced by the developers inability to make VLC a modern application.

I doubt VLC's GPU offloading matching the quality of MPC + LAV combination.

Oh and never install codec packs. Codec packs are needed only if you prefer Windows Media Player. WMP is actually the best player, performance wise I have ever came across.

WMP just lacks proper support for most everything pirated.

Edited by _Alexander, 22 December 2013 - 09:58.

#14 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:32

Nope, these issues were fixed ages ago. For some reason when people talk about issues in VLC they like to talk about releases from 1-2 years ago.

#15 Jeston

Jeston

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:59

I don't use VLC mainly because I never expended too much effort trying to get it to work with HDMI audio out, especially with bitstreaming. I use PowerDVD for most of my movie/video watching needs, and when it fails to play something it's MPC-HC to the rescue. It never fails to send the lossless DD TrueHD or DTS-HD MA audio to my receiver.

There is the rare occasion where I have some video with a weird codec that I just want to play through my regular speakers and VLC works fine for that.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!