Why Jailbreak iOS7?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 22 December 2013 - 15:54

OK, first off - I am being 100% genuine here, please bear that in mind as I am very aware that this could seem like trolling.

I used to run an iPhone 3GS - and to be perfectly honest back then I felt like jailbreaking was a necessity.  Really - so many obvious features were missing, and couldn't have lived without SBSettings (for example).  I liked the hardware and kinda liked the phone, but I felt that without a jailbreak it would be incredibly neutered!  I then switched over to Android, as it addressed the way I use a phone more than iOS.  And again, I have felt this pretty much until iOS7 came out.  I think Apple made a big leap in the right direction.

So my question is this:  Now running iOS7 - people still clamor to jailbreak their phones.  Why? What "essentials" are people looking for that iOS7 doesn't deliver out of the box?

#2 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Android

Posted 22 December 2013 - 15:56

Control over your device, no one but you should have any say in what you do or don't do on it, what types of customization you want etc. 

Same with rooting Android devices, it's really all about you having ultimate control over something you spent money on, it's yours, you're not renting it, why should anyone else have any say in what you do with it?

#3 -T-

-T-

Trapmaster

Posted 22 December 2013 - 16:02

I need to have fl.ux on my devices, this is only possible with jailbreak. This is one of the reasons I am happy the jailbreak is out

#4 OP +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

Posted 22 December 2013 - 16:04

Control over your device, no one but you should have any say in what you do or don't do on it, what types of customization you want etc. 

Same with rooting Android devices, it's really all about you having ultimate control over something you spent money on, it's yours, you're not renting it, why should anyone else have any say in what you do with it?

Specifically?  See, I know what you are saying (and fully agree), but you've not said anything...

Customisation is dandy, woo different icons, more rows, pack them in tighter, great.  But if that's the best that jailbreaking can offer, it's moved backwards.  Now I don't believe I am being remotely fair by saying that - but I am prompting for a somewhat more specific answer.

What are people DOING with a jailbroken phone? What apps are the must-haves?  If you name an app, say what it's for and how it benefits you?

See, I would want a way to put the widgets from my notifications onto a page, or to change the shortcuts in the new slide-up panel, etc.  Maybe more, I don't know...

#5 Ironman273

Ironman273

Neowinian Fanatic

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 22 December 2013 - 16:08

I don't have an iDevice anymore but I think most people were either adding things like SBSettings or the app that let you install anything for free.  With the need for SBSettings gone in iOS7 I would imagine the main attraction would be piracy.

#6 OP +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

Posted 22 December 2013 - 16:10

I didn't want to suggest that link.  I believe piracy is the awkward end of jailbreaking.  But yes, the need for SB Settings is all but gone (or maybe replaced by another app that makes the slide-up panel more extensible).

#7 Innuendo

Innuendo

Neowinian

Posted 22 December 2013 - 16:33

Specifically?  See, I know what you are saying (and fully agree), but you've not said anything...

This is where you and I have a difference of opinion. You perceive him as having not said anything (as is your right), but I perceive him as saying everything. He's saying that it doesn't matter what customization a person wishes to perform on their phone whether it be adding more icons per row or anything else. It's the very principle of the thing that some people feel they should be able to do with anything they've purchased. Some people are very passionate about their principles.

Apple has made a lot of improvements in their latest version of iOS and that eliminates the need for jailbreaking for a lot of people, but while some have a genuine need (like that user above who needs fl.ux installed) others may have reasons that not everyone may fully comprehend. Some will jailbreak just to see if they could do it and for the experience. Others will jailbreak as an act of non-conformity. Others still may jailbreak as a way of symbolically flipping off corporations who would seek to stifle our choices. Heck, some people just derive great pleasure sticking it to The Man. :)

There's just as many reasons to jailbreak as there are not to jailbreak. Every one is valid even if everyone does not understand every one of them. To someone somewhere, one of them makes perfect sense to them. z0phi3l's reason makes perfect sense to him, for example, and that's fine. Jailbreaking is a fringe activity and there's going to be a lot of fringe reasons for why people do it.

#8 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 December 2013 - 16:46

I agree with this, in theory, on the other hand you're putting a lot of trust in the hands of the groups releasing the jailbreaks. Personally I don't see why you'd modify a phone, and not just buy the one that works best for what you need. A tablet? Sure, hack away.

#9 OP +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

Posted 22 December 2013 - 16:59

This is where you and I have a difference of opinion. You perceive him as having not said anything (as is your right), but I perceive him as saying everything. He's saying that it doesn't matter what customization a person wishes to perform on their phone whether it be adding more icons per row or anything else. It's the very principle of the thing that some people feel they should be able to do with anything they've purchased. Some people are very passionate about their principles.

Except it's not the question asked.

#10 Master of Earth

Master of Earth

Neowinian

Posted 22 December 2013 - 17:02

more reason to jailbreak than ever. iOS 7 only solve three problem for me that's new multi task UI, no more hoax score in game center and New SBSettings. The new whole UI is not my type of coffee. however, i will be using iOS 6.1.3 for a little longer despite the jailbreak already came out and many stuff still isn't support yet.

One last thing, my lockscreen UI is much prettier and tidy than iOS 7 locksreen theme.  Jony Ive don't know that software UI cannot be derived from his brilliant skills in designing the hardware which's utterly ridiculous and can't believe more than 60% device already using it. 

#11 f1ux

f1ux

Neowinian

Posted 22 December 2013 - 17:07

I used to want jailbreak to disable the transitions that's basically just slow you down. Now you can do that in ios7

The only other things I would like now are XBMC and to change the lock screen camera to the app camera+ instead

#12 OP +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

Posted 22 December 2013 - 17:10

So, one answer here is to associate 3rd party apps with the default?  Seems a damned good idea - and again something "missing" IMHO

#13 Innuendo

Innuendo

Neowinian

Posted 22 December 2013 - 17:13

Except it's not the question asked.

The question you asked:

"What "essentials" are people looking for that iOS7 doesn't deliver out of the box?"

The answer given:

"Freedom of choice."

For some people freedom of choice is essential. Whether or not you or I agree is irrelevant.

#14 OP +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

Posted 22 December 2013 - 17:22

Boo hoo hoo, you know what I meant, seeing as I also named applications and use cases.  If you didn't understand, that's not my problem.

#15 SMELTN

SMELTN

Neowinian Senior

• OS: Windows 7 Ultimate, 2012 Macbook Pro, CR-48 Chromebook from Google
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 22 December 2013 - 17:23

Bitesms for me. The ability to quick reply to a text is one of the big advantages.