#1 +riahc3

riahc3

Neowin's most indecisive member

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: HTC Desire Z

Posted 22 December 2013 - 18:45

Hello,

Got a strange one here....

Im transferring for example files to/from one PC (Windows 7) to another (Windows 8) and using the Windows 8 file dialog I see it reaches OK speeds of 80KB /s and such for about 7 seconds (this is constant; its always 7 seconds), then it stays at 0 bytes for 3 seconds, then another 7 seconds at top speed, etc....

Its odd so I guess BudMan will have to fill this one.

Not downloading anything or nothing that is eating up my LAN/WAN bandwidth....

Best Answer +BudMan , 23 December 2013 - 00:39

without protection you can get collisions on the network, especially if you have mixed clients..

I have G clients as well, I just run them on their own AP.. How is that not an option - what happened to your old router? Go to the full post

#2 +snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

Electrical & Computer Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 29
  • Phone: dumb phone

Posted 22 December 2013 - 20:06

Separate PCs? Could be a firewall or a AV issue (though, I wouldn't imagine it would be either of those).

It also could just be that you are transferring large files and that they are getting cached or buffered into memory and then subsequently are transferred. The transfer rates would drop while buffering is happening.

EDIT: try xcopy /j from command line for an unbuffered copy.

#3 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 22 December 2013 - 20:18

^ oh, hey, grats on the MVC :shifty:

#4 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 92
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 22 December 2013 - 20:23

"I see it reaches OK speeds of 80KB /s"

Ok speeds? Using what string and paper cup???? 80KB.. That is like 640Kbits -- that is not even wireless B speeds?? Did you mean to say 80MB? Now that would be decent gig wired speeds..

What is your network, and what are you moving.. I would suggest you move 1 large file using robocopy so we can get some actual numbers to work with.. But 80KB is not OK anything that is for sure..

#5 OP +riahc3

riahc3

Posted 22 December 2013 - 22:37

Hello,

Separate PCs? Could be a firewall or a AV issue (though, I wouldn't imagine it would be either of those).

It also could just be that you are transferring large files and that they are getting cached or buffered into memory and then subsequently are transferred. The transfer rates would drop while buffering is happening.

EDIT: try xcopy /j from command line for an unbuffered copy.

Yes they are separte PCs and I havent installed/enabled any new firewall or AVs....

This never happened before....so Im not sure it is related. Ive tested on big and small files.

"I see it reaches OK speeds of 80KB /s"

Ok speeds? Using what string and paper cup???? 80KB.. That is like 640Kbits -- that is not even wireless B speeds?? Did you mean to say 80MB? Now that would be decent gig wired speeds..

What is your network, and what are you moving.. I would suggest you move 1 large file using robocopy so we can get some actual numbers to work with.. But 80KB is not OK anything that is for sure..

Using a larger file, I get better speeds:
jfia.png

ze9i.png

Here Im moving a 1.37 GB file.

Ill try a robocopy now :)

#6 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 22 December 2013 - 22:56

What type of speeds do you get copying the file from one drive to another on the same system? I've seen issues before where Windows was copying a file at <1MBps from a USB drive to my hard drive.

#7 OP +riahc3

riahc3

Posted 22 December 2013 - 22:59

Hello,

Here is the robocopy result:

0i80.png

#8 OP +riahc3

riahc3

Posted 22 December 2013 - 23:01

Hello,

What type of speeds do you get copying the file from one drive to another on the same system? I've seen issues before where Windows was copying a file at <1MBps from a USB drive to my hard drive.

Normal speed.

It was obvious from the start that this is a network issue.

#9 OP +riahc3

riahc3

Posted 22 December 2013 - 23:04

Hello,

OK, now I can confirm this is a wireless issue. Wired looks good.

#10 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 December 2013 - 23:07

So your saying move is crap? But copy is good.. Is that wireless to wireless or wired to wireless. I assume your desktop is wireless. Which a bit off topic but never understood.. Your desktop is kind always in the same place is it not - or do you move yours around the house? I don't understand why anyone would connect a stationary device to the network wirelessly?

On you wireless setting do you have rts/cts enabled?

What exactly is the difference in methods between screen 1 and 2?

#11 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 December 2013 - 23:11

2.5MBps -- yeah that is kind of crappy for N.. About average for G.. Is it wireless to wireless, then your about right. Remember wireless to wireless /2

So question what are you wireless settings, do you have N set only, 20 or 40? Are you g-n? That is going to be a HIT, have gone over it and over it hear.. Some people seem to not agree.. But the facts have been posted - and just common sense tells you if I have to run my network so that G can talk to it, then clearly I am not using all the bells and whistles that N allows for to speed up the network, etc..

I will do a test to my wifes laptop from my nas

edit: So here is what I see doing wireless on 1 large file from wired server to wireless laptop, no special cards.. Cheap ass tplink as AP.

2013-12-22_171752.jpg

#12 OP +riahc3

riahc3

Posted 22 December 2013 - 23:14

Hello,

So your saying move is crap? But copy is good.. Is that wireless to wireless or wired to wireless. I assume your desktop is wireless. Which a bit off topic but never understood.. Your desktop is kind always in the same place is it not - or do you move yours around the house? I don't understand why anyone would connect a stationary device to the network wirelessly?

On you wireless setting do you have rts/cts enabled?

What exactly is the difference in methods between screen 1 and 2?

Too much eggnog BudMan :p

All tests have been done copy only. This is wired (PC running Windows 7) to wireless (laptop running Windows 8.1). My desktop is wired.

My wireless client (laptop) has "Mixed Mode Protection" set to "CTS-to-self Enabled" with the other option being "RTS/CTS Enabled".

My wireless router has RTS Threshold set to disabled.

#13 Ambroos

Ambroos

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 22 December 2013 - 23:17

You can do a lot of stuff with wireless (N-only, Greenfield, short preambles, ...) but most of it isn't configurable. And if you go too N-specific G networks don't know you're there anymore. If there are no other networks near that's fine but if your neighbours still use devices on G you'll get tons of interference.

I've done the benchmarks here in a clean environment (no other AP's near) and the difference between G/N, N-only and strict N-only in speeds is really, really small.

#14 OP +riahc3

riahc3

Posted 22 December 2013 - 23:18

Hello,

This is my router TP-Link TL-WR1043ND:

19k0.png

#15 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 December 2013 - 23:32

Move and copy are different, here you say move ;)

moving.png

As to this..

"the difference between G/N, N-only and strict N-only in speeds is really, really small."

Your benchmarks are flawed then..
http://www.smallnetb...ow-80211n-speed
As we showed in Add, Don't Replace When Upgrading to 802.11n, mixing 11n and "legacy" clients can reduce throughput by 50 to 80%. So if you are mixing old and new devices, you could be shooting yourself in the (throughput) foot. Either upgrade to all 11n clients, or use a separate 802.11g router or AP to handle your "legacy" stuff.

http://www.smallnetb...ading-to-80211n

Maybe your seeing CRAP N speeds is why you don't see a difference when you turn on G/N mode ;) There is NEVER a reason to run G/N together on the same hardware.

You are running mixed - change that to N only.. And turn on rts/cts and enable rts and enable short preamble. What channel you should run would depend on what is in your area fire up say inssider and look