I want to upgrade my a few components of my machine but I haven't been following the hardware world quite closely the past couple of years, so I was hoping that you could help me with "will this fit" and some recommendations of yours.
My current rig is in the signature, and I was looking to upgrading my mainboard, CPU and RAM. I wanted to get the PC to be quieter and was thinking if water cooling would help with that? In addition, I would like to overclock the machine. I remember reading somewhere that with the "K" models you can do this, and depending on the motherboard this could be easy. Easy is nice, as I am a complete noob when it comes to overclocking. (the reason I would like to overclock is that I mainly play FSX and it runs smoother on higher MHz, unfortunately this game is still following the rule "the more MHz the better")
I remember reading a few reviews about some mainboards where overclocking can be easily done, but I don't quite remember which mainboards they were. As to the budget, I don't have a limit I want to impose, I just want good quality components.
- CPU wise I was looking at the Intel Core i7-4770k 3,5GHz. I keep reading this CPU can be overclocked to 4GHz without too much effort. What would you suggest for cooling? Water cooling or heatsink&fan? I recently read this article on Techspot, where the Silverstone TD02 looks like a winner, an all-in-one and easy to install. Does anyone have any experience with it?
- RAM: I don't really have any idea on what to look for. I would like to have 16GBs, as I also often run multiple VM's on my machine for work. Is it better to fill the four lanes or are just two enough? The CPU supports up to 1600MHz but the motherboards I've seen support a lot more. Should I just look for And what about the latency, how relevant is it? Would the Corsair Vengeance Pro Blue 16GB be fine? Would you recommend something else?
- Mainboard: Also a bit lost. I read some great reviews on ASRock Z87 Fatal1ty Killer motherboard. On the other hand I also have a magazine here with a review for the ASUS MAximus VI Extreme (C2) making it sound like the best thing after sliced bread. Would these be good for overclocking? Would you rather recommend something else? I would be using the on-board sound and one NIC is enough for me. I need at least 4 SATA 3 ports, but all the motherboards I've seen have that much, so this shouldn't be an issue.
- Cooling: An all-in-one water cooling or fan&heatsink?
- PSU: I am still considering whether or not I upgrade this part, probably will, as I think right now this is the loudest component I have. At the time I built my current rig I though that due to the GTX680 and the other components I'd need a lot of wattage, turns out I don't. Do you recommend any PSU that are good and quiet? I keep reading people recommending Seasonic constantly in this forum. What about BeQuiet? Are they actually quiet?
Many thanks for your help!!