WD Blue drive Seems Loud! Should i return

Hey guys, Ive got a new WD blue drive, When running it sounds a little too loud for my taste, My laptop hd makes no noise compared to this.. Should i send it bak or is it normal?

It's not supposed to make certain types of noise, true, but it will definitely be louder than your laptop's HDD.

Try checking its SMART data, many free tools exist - from the top of my head, Piriform Speccy, HDTune Free and HDDExpert. If there are errors, it's bad. Warnings and such may or may not be bad, depends on the data - show us that data. It's always better to give RMA service some detailed info on the issue, too.

• Like 1

I got the impression that you were talking about 5400 rpm 2.5" inch laptop drive vs 7200 rpm 3.5" desktop drive. If so there is a large difference  :laugh:

If it's a desktop HDD, a little bit of vibration is normal. The WD Blue drives run at 7200rpm, whereas their Caviar Green drives are only 5400rpm so they run cooler and use less power. I have a 7200rpm Hitachi Deskstar 1TB in my desktop and I do get quite a lot of motor and seek vibration through the chassis if my sidepanels aren't screwed down. Laptop drives will always be quieter than desktop drives as they're much smaller and lighter, they also only use 5v instead of 12v so they're more efficient, you can't really compare a desktop drive to a laptop one, it's like trying to compare a passenger city bus to a Mini :)

As long as there's no motor bearing failure whine (like a banshee!), clicking, or any screech/click noises (damaged head arm scraping the platter), then you should be fine. Normal drive seek noise is normal in some drives, especially in a fragmented drive, I find it relaxing, and it helps me hear if the drive is functioning correctly. I don't like drives that are TOO quiet as it's hard to diagnose if it's playing up. I'm a PC technician by trade so this sorta stuff is everyday diagnostic stuff :)

Run SeaTools just to be sure. Here's the link:  http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/ (It works for non-Seagate drives don't worry)

Won't work for 100% of problems, but if SeaTools doesn't come back  with any problems unless the drive is making a horrible grinding noise I wouldn't be TOO concerned.

Again, if it really feels out of the ordinary for you to be hearing those noises -  back up all important data.