Photo

NAS or DAS with Windows 8.1, surface 2 & phone...?

win8.1

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 OP TrickyDickie

TrickyDickie

Neowinian

Posted 23 December 2013 - 14:53

Ok. Thanks for all of your advice!

What OSs are the rest of you using?
Someone said unRaid, which looks pretty good, and I read in comments on one of the sites that people have had trouble with Windows on them (Difficult to set up?!)

Remember it must work with the Surface too.

l was originally thinking of Windows 8, storage spaces and home group, but get the impression that this would be unnecessary. Am I right?

#17 +FiB3R

FiB3R

aka DARKFiB3R

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Lumia 930

Posted 23 December 2013 - 16:16

I put 5 HDDs and 1 SSD in my 54. Requires a modded BIOS, but that was pretty easy to install. Currently running Win 8 and FlexRAID.

#18 TPreston

TPreston

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Enterprise & Server 2012R2/08R2 Datacenter
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 23 December 2013 - 16:41

You need the files stored/attached to a windows operating system (client/server with desktop experience)

Otherwise you wont be able to take advantage of indexing (essential for large collections) and the built in applications wont add your media.

#19 OP TrickyDickie

TrickyDickie

Neowinian

Posted 23 December 2013 - 19:25

Another question...I think I'll give unRaid a go (free trial?!), but if I went with Windows, would the standard version (non-pro) do the job?

#20 AStaley

AStaley

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Pro x64, OSX Mavericks, Elementary OS, Server 2008 R2/2012 R2, CentOS.
  • Phone: iPhone 4 (IOS7.1.1)

Posted 23 December 2013 - 19:39

Not used it myself, but what about loading XPEnology (XPEnology.com) on to the microserver?  Allows you to run Synology's DSM and features which gives you access to their media server and other features.  That setup should allow you to stream video/music to the PC/Surface2, not sure about the Windows Phone but I'd have thought there is a way to get that working as well.

#21 OP TrickyDickie

TrickyDickie

Neowinian

Posted 24 December 2013 - 16:40

Hello,
dl5n.png

Notice that you will pay 179 upfront. The cashback comes later (and maybe even forces you to only use it on their store)

And yes, the previous generation is also good :) Im just saying that since a new gen came out, you might want to go with that.

The only difference I see here is that one includes (pre gen) a 250 GB HDD. But you would remove it anyways to put your new HDDs right (Im thinking you are going to put 4 HDDs)

This 2nd link goes to another site where it is £300+ lol

#22 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 89
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 24 December 2013 - 17:34

Also a HP microserver user here, N40L -- the little box just rocks it!! Sounds like your just going to run the NAS OS native, that works.. I run esxi on mine, and then just run my fileserver/nas just via a windows 7 OS on a vm. I also run my router as vm, and my linux box as vm. And then lots of play boxes when I need them, etc.

My NAS has raw access to 3 disks in the box (2TB, 3TB and older 750GB), I just use the comes with 250GB for my datastore.

Now I have made some upgrades to mine with more ram and nics (4 ports vs the native 1).. Future plans prob include more ram go from 8 to 16 and prob go SSD for datastore which will free up slot the 250GB is in for more file server space.

For me the only file storage I need is via cifs/smb - so windows 7 fits the bill fine.. Have plenty of licenses for it ;) I run drivepool from stablebits on it -- this allow me to present all the disks as just one big disk for storage, etc..

Lots of things you do with those little boxes - they very power friendly, quiet, etc. etc.. Love Mine!!! Good Solution in the home for lots of things..

I have played with many a NAS OS on it even, I have no idea what issues windows users might have with unraid? Its just simple shares via samba.. So not sure the problem there, etc.

#23 OP TrickyDickie

TrickyDickie

Neowinian

Posted 25 December 2013 - 17:58

Also a HP microserver user here, N40L -- the little box just rocks it!! Sounds like your kjust going to run the NAS OS native, that works.. I run esxi on mine, and then just run my fileserver/nas just via a windows 7 OS on a vm. I also run my router as vm, and my linux box as vm. And then lots of play boxes when I need them, etc.

My NAS has raw access to 3 disks in the box (2TB, 3TB and older 750GB), I just use the comes with 250GB for my datastore.

Now I have made some upgrades to mine with more ram and nics (4 ports vs the native 1).. Future plans prob include more ram go from 8 to 16 and prob go SSD for datastore which will free up slot the 250GB is in for more file server space.

For me the only file storage I need is via cifs/smb - so windows 7 fits the bill fine.. Have plenty of licenses for it ;) I run drivepool from stablebits on it -- this allow me to present all the disks as just one big disk for storage, etc..

Lots of things you do with those little boxes - they very power friendly, quiet, etc. etc.. Love Mine!!! Good Solution in the home for lots of things..

I have played with many a NAS OS on it even, I have no idea what issues windows users might have with unraid? Its just simple shares via samba.. So not sure the problem there, etc.

Your setup looks very interesting - Perhaps I may be doing more than just sharing files after all!

I am interested to know how this virtualization works here - You just load all the VMS and keep them running?
Also, a search for esxi took me to the VMware cSphere site - is this correct?

Wouldn't Hyper-V on windows 8 do the same? I ask because my original plan was to use Windows 8 and remote desktop in to administrate (Actually got that working with the pc lol). But then someone mentioned unRaid so I thought I'd give that a go too.

Running VMS from it sounds fun too.

Sorry for this barrage of questions, but this just intrigued me. Your fault, obviously lol

Do you know of any particular place I can get more info? At the moment, I am just randomly Google-ing (?!?!)

Edit to remove a silly question...!

#24 richardsim7

richardsim7

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 December 2013 - 01:32

This reminds me, I still need to sell my HP N36L if you're interested ;)

#25 Circaflex

Circaflex

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: hammerhead

Posted 26 December 2013 - 01:39

NAS, i had a HP Mediasmart Home Server and it was awesome. Just recently built a DIY server which blows the HP MSS out of the water

#26 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 December 2013 - 03:00

Hyper V would be another option sure.. Yes esxi vsphere, etc. I currently run 5.5 -- they kind of screwed the power user with features that can be controlled from the client vs having to have the paid for vserver to managed your host and vms.

Yes the N40L is on 24/7/365 - and yes my router, nas and linus vms are on same.. They autostart if the n40l ever reboots on power loss or something. These vms are core to my network and have to be on.

They are my gateway to the internet, my firewall between my lan and wlan and my linux box I just just pretty much every day I need to do anything I have more freedom at cmd line on a linux box. It also runs cups and serves up my printer to everything, etc. I just couldn't get by without a linux box, but just cmdline I have no reason for a linux desktop since I do all my browsing and such from a window box that is a physical machine.

But I also have lots of other vms that I might fire up if need be.. Win 8.1 box, 2k8r2 box, centos, linux desktop, mint, freebsd, etc.

vms.png

I am always removing/adding tweaking different vms, etc.

AS to where you can get more info into what exactly? Running a esxi host, n54l, microservers in general, what?

Just ask, PM me - more than happy to help anyone on the path to playing with tech ;)

#27 OP TrickyDickie

TrickyDickie

Neowinian

Posted 29 December 2013 - 13:33

@budman...I think I'll take this slowly and learn as I go...more fun that way lol.

Thanks for your detailed answer, though

#28 Jared-

Jared-

Pick it, pack it, light it up...

Posted 30 December 2013 - 03:57

Synology. Keep it simple. 

ESXi is boring (limited) without vSphere Server.

#29 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 January 2014 - 20:38

"ESXi is boring (limited) without vSphere Server."

Boring? Limited I can see but the term boring makes no sense at all. If you run 5.5 then yes vmware has placed some limitation to control of your vms via the client if you update them to hardware level 10. And you can not take advantage of some aspects of 5.5 without vserver.

But for 1 you don't have to run 5.5 if you don't want to - run 5.0 or 5.1.

The newer features of 5.5 really don't have much use in a home/hobby setup anyway. If you want you can run the vserver appliance in trial mode for 60 days at at time ;)

To be honest once you setup the vm there is little need to edit them, I use the client as just simple access to console of the vm, etc.

#30 +riahc3

riahc3

Neowin's most indecisive member

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: HTC Desire Z

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:02

Hello,

This 2nd link goes to another site where it is £300+ lol

Sorry, my apoligies :) Could have sworn there was a buy button there.

Like you mentioned: Lowest I could find you is: http://www.serversdi...dwords&crtag=SD which I understand is out of budget :)

I said because it was new but last gen works just as well from what Ive read and is not EOL. Go with that.

But I also have lots of other vms that I might fire up if need be.. Win 8.1 box, 2k8r2 box, centos, linux desktop, mint, freebsd, etc.

attachicon.gifvms.png

I am always removing/adding tweaking different vms, etc.

You are a beast lol....

BTW, this makes perfect sense when we had that thread about "RAID5 vs storage pools"; The microserver is configured like you said as your gateway, firewall and other functions. Obviously you have that mirrored and those countless VMs you have for testing I imagine you dont....

Im just wondering about your backups: Do you make images of your firewall (pfsense) to make restores quickly? How about the OS on the microserver?

Ive fallen in love with your setup and it makes sense to me to use storage pools with that (like you said back then, I have space here just waiting to be abused and used).

The only problem is that my drives are your regular everyday normal drives; Not made for NAS or RAID or anything...