Is it true that Americans have been eating GMO safely for two decades?

Here in China, some expert says:

In the past two decades, (almost all) Americans have been reassured that GMF (genetically modified food) are safe and they have been eating GMF safely for twenty years.

Has the expert told a truth? Or has he lied?

Here in China, some expert says:

In the past two decades, (almost all) Americans have been reassured that GMF (genetically modified food) are safe and they have been eating GMF safely for twenty years.

Has the expert told a truth? Or has he lied?

thanks to late night, audience free congressional sessions, it is not required to label genetically modified food in the US.

Cripe, in today's market, with all the fertilizers, super vitamins and pesticides and other crap used in and on everything, isn't it ALL food genetically modified?! Do you wonder why there is such an obesity problem in the U.S. ?

Excellent reply +D. FiB3R!!

• Like 1

Cripe, in today's market, with all the fertilizers, super vitamins and pesticides and other crap used in and on everything, isn't it ALL food genetically modified?! Do you wonder why there is such an obesity problem in the U.S. ?

I don't think they're related. You can genetically cross Broccoli and Cauliflower and call id cauccoli and it will still only have about 25 calories a cup. Genetic modifications has nothing to do with obesity. Just sayin'.

Most all food around the world, even the seeds you buy, are genetically modified. NVM what the governments tell you. Have you eaten corn? Genetically modified.

Corn the way you think of it today is not what it was before. Most meats are fed antibiotics to keep them from getting infected. Most foods have preservates. And anything that says natural doesn't means it's healthy (think lard).

I studied Biology in Agriculture for a little bit.

The obesity problem is due to people eating too much food (quantity-wise) and too much crap. If you get fast food every day with a candy bar in between meals and don't work out in any sense of the word, you're going to end up fat, GMF or not.

Sorry, I don't eat 'greedy mean old-people'  :laugh:

I have no background in the matter, but I would say that it isn't hard to believe. I never understood the big deal about it either way. Then again I've never really paid attention to food, I just eat it.

IME the American public is very divided on whether GMOs are safe or not. I have a difficult time seeing why the majority of genetic modifications for yield and insect resistance could be harmful for humans, but that is aside from the issue of whether everyone feels that they're safe or otherwise.

Most all food around the world, even the seeds you buy, are genetically modified. NVM what the governments tell you. Have you eaten corn? Genetically modified.

Corn the way you think of it today is not what it was before. Most meats are fed antibiotics to keep them from getting infected. Most foods have preservates. And anything that says natural doesn't means it's healthy (think lard).

I studied Biology in Agriculture for a little bit.

No, the anti biotics thing in meat is all American.

Fruits and vegetables are much less gmo outside US as well, and has to be labelled.

Thankfully in Europe it's pretty much isolated to livestock feed at the moment, if it ever becomes mainstream you can also be sure it will be clearly labeled (like everything else is these days here). This also goes for high fructose syrup use, which is another ongoing health and safety issue people need to look into more (imo).

Thankfully in Europe it's pretty much isolated to livestock feed at the moment, if it ever becomes mainstream you can also be sure it will be clearly labeled (like everything else is these days here). This also goes for high fructose syrup use, which is another ongoing health and safety issue people need to look into more (imo).

Really anything Corn based (including the hfs) is considered bad.  As Corn is one of the biggest GMO'd crops out there.  The problem is, everything we eat is refined to the point where it is no longer nutritionally good.  We break sugar down until all it is is sweet, without any of the nutrients that are originally found.   Vegetables used in oils are no longer healthy and don't provide the benefits of eating olives, or others.  Meat is so injected, and.. well.. fake in most cases that there is no nutrition value like it used to have.

I buy 99% of my meat from a local market which gets all their meat locally and grain fed (also get veggies there).   We also get free range chickens from a guy who lives near a farmer, as well as free range eggs.  I also avoid gluten when possible, and try to only eat organic sweets.  I buy chocolate bars, but they are 100% cane sugar, organic cocoa, etc.   They cost a pretty penny, but after eating like I do, a standard chocolate bar would be way way too sweet, and wouldn't taste near as good.  Same with pop, I buy pop but it's made out of organic cane juice, natural flavors (ie real ginger).  None of the High Fructose Corn Syrup ######.

• Like 2

You know I thought OK for a change I will buy the Organic Heinz Beans. They are so much smaller than the regular Heinz Beans. Makes me wonder what happened to the regular ones :-\

Really anything Corn based (including the hfs) is considered bad.  As Corn is one of the biggest GMO'd crops out there.  The problem is, everything we eat is refined to the point where it is no longer nutritionally good.  We break sugar down until all it is is sweet, without any of the nutrients that are originally found.   Vegetables used in oils are no longer healthy and don't provide the benefits of eating olives, or others.  Meat is so injected, and.. well.. fake in most cases that there is no nutrition value like it used to have.

I buy 99% of my meat from a local market which gets all their meat locally and grain fed (also get veggies there).   We also get free range chickens from a guy who lives near a farmer, as well as free range eggs.  I also avoid gluten when possible, and try to only eat organic sweets.  I buy chocolate bars, but they are 100% cane sugar, organic cocoa, etc.   They cost a pretty penny, but after eating like I do, a standard chocolate bar would be way way too sweet, and wouldn't taste near as good.  Same with pop, I buy pop but it's made out of organic cane juice, natural flavors (ie real ginger).  None of the High Fructose Corn Syrup ****.

Really, americans( yes in hours case that is all of NA including Canadians) need to stop thinking the rest of the world is like them, cause a lot of your claims don't apply outside of NA.

Really, americans( yes in hours case that is all of NA including Canadians) need to stop thinking the rest of the world is like them, cause a lot of your claims don't apply outside of NA.

Huh? What prompted this response, maybe look at the title?

In most cases, GM produce is better for you than non GM. That's because unlike modern traditionally manufactured food, it's actually grown more naturally despite the genetic meddling.  What we consider to be 'normal food' is merely just a combination of highly refined crap with all the natural goodness sucked out and replaced with faked goodness, so it can be controlled in an easier fashion.

I would choose to eat a GM apple over a mass produced apple any day of the week.

As for whether America's been eating GM food for over 20 years? Well i can't speak about America, being based in the UK, however GM has, in one form or another existed for many years, so i wouldn't be surprised if GM food had passed the lips of the general population in both countries for quite some time. As Steven pointed out earlier, over in Europe the food labelling restrictions are pretty damn tight. So I'd expect to see a big 'GM' plastered over the packaging if and when it become more mainstream.

I buy 99% of my meat from a local market which gets all their meat locally and grain fed (also get veggies there).   We also get free range chickens from a guy who lives near a farmer, as well as free range eggs.  I also avoid gluten when possible, and try to only eat organic sweets.  I buy chocolate bars, but they are 100% cane sugar, organic cocoa, etc.   They cost a pretty penny, but after eating like I do, a standard chocolate bar would be way way too sweet, and wouldn't taste near as good.  Same with pop, I buy pop but it's made out of organic cane juice, natural flavors (ie real ginger).  None of the High Fructose Corn Syrup ****.

Fresh sugar cane juice is my all time favorite beverage. It's such a shame it's very difficult to get it in the US. I grew up near a sugar cane region and it was easily available.

I never said anything about Europe (which has strict GMO regulations).  I can only speak for what I do.. where it does apply, and my claims are 100% valid.  Also.. this thread IS about NA not about Europe.

kthxbai.

There has been much controversy in the UK over growth tests on GM modified crops with Pro modifiers suggesting its in an clearly defined test site and anti GM protesters stating that these crops and their pollen is liable to be spread or contaminate nearby fields both by winds and insects infestation[bees etc].

Genetic modification (GM) is a biotechnology that is being used to make new products, in particular new types of crop plant.

In global terms the use of GM crops has increased steadily since the first commercial plantings in North America in the late 1990s. By 2012 over 17 million farmers in 28 countries were growing GM crops on 170 million hectares, which is more than 12% of the world?s arable land.

No GM crops are being grown commercially in the UK, but imported GM commodities, especially soya, are being used mainly for animal feed, and to a lesser extent in some food products.

https://www.gov.uk/government/policies/making-the-food-and-farming-industry-more-competitive-while-protecting-the-environment/supporting-pages/genetic-modification

Unfortunately it's being pressed hard in the UK, no doubt by friends of the tories, who've said classics such as 'GMO food is safer and better for you than non-GMO food'.