• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

• 6,151 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 24 December 2013 - 18:26

You must not have kids if you think just telling them is enough to make it happen. I mean, do you always not do something just because your parents told you not to? yeah, didn't think so. That is the problem. Plus high school kids are a lot different than elementary ones.

Correct, I don't have kids, but I do remember being younger at a not too distant point in my past...

The list of things that can cause injury to a kid, even fatally, are immense. We don't try to shield the child from harm by eliminating every possible danger in the world. I'd argue that doing so does them a huge disservice if we even considered this route (after all, there comes a point where they are no longer a kid and need to understand how to navigate around these hazards)...

A good example was my mom claimed that people put razors into fruit on Halloween and poisoned candy for the trick or treating kids. We weren't to eat any open candy and any fruit we were given was to be discarded. My six siblings nor I ever violated this rule because my mom stressed that violating it would kill us. It is a rule that translated well into my older age. I am almost certain to reject opened food from a stranger.

#17 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 15,374 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 20:16

yes, I agree this is absolutely absurd. Even if your child has allegies, then take her/him to the nurse. No one is going to die. This is just another case of some parent being over the top when it comes to safety.

Nut allergies can kill in mere minutes.

#18 Torolol

Torolol

• 2,822 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 20:24

considering none died at this point, i doubt it was about nut allergies ...

#19 B0mberman

B0mberman

Silence is the key to Wisdom

• 5,146 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S2 CM

Posted 24 December 2013 - 20:33

oh gee golly. 

#20 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 15,374 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 20:36

considering none died at this point, i doubt it was about nut allergies ...

Like I said before, it was probably a new parent in the area.

Some people just like to ruin things for everyone else. Life is like that.

#21 compl3x

compl3x

OK. compl3x again.

• 7,927 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 26 December 2013 - 09:42

Isn't it the job of the parent to ensure that their kid either understands their allergies or doesn't eat anything that isn't from a person their parent instructed? I can understand not wanting your kid to eat them, but that should be as simple as telling your kid not to eat them. One parent shouldn't be able to unilaterally decide for the children of other parents what they can and can't have. With this having gone on for so long I'm sure there are many kids who appreciated it and looked forward to those cookies. Kids appreciate nice gestures too.

I don't disagree. It seems like a sweet lady doing a nice thing. But that simply isn't the world we live in or the culture, especially in the U.S., of "sue, sue, sue" we have.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!