Ebuyer rates staff on returns REJECTED

Ho, ho, HOLY CR*P, ebuyer! Etailer rates staff on returns REJECTED

Not-so-happy snap: Jolly jumper joy ruined by Grinch-like leader board

Happy shoppers enjoying the Christmas cheer will be deeply disappointed in online retailer ebuyer.com after it posted jolly pictures of its staff wearing festive-themed jumpers to show what a heartwarming company it really, really is.

But, as noted by Reg reader Phil, the firm's Xmas celebrations hit something of a snag, after one of the photos it posted on Facebook revealed that ebuyer rates its employees based on how many returns they reject.

Ho, ho, ho, indeed.

The photo was quickly yanked from the free content ad network, after ebuyer belatedly spotted that displaying its leader board on Facebook was perhaps a bit of a foolish move.

But El Reg has a copy of the pic, courtesy of reader Phil.

ebuyer_returns_rejected.jpg

Oh, look! The Grinch appears to be alive and well at ebuyer (click to enlarge)

It shows that a big incentive - presumably for bumper Christmas bonuses - at ebuyer is for the company's staff to decline requests for returns from stressed-out customers who are unhappy with their purchases for loved ones.

The blue leader board displays a running score for each employee based on how many so-called return merchandise authorisations (RMAs) they have refused.

We asked ebuyer why it had taken down the pic from a selection of photos in a Facebook album titled: "We are having a Christmas jumper day in the office today! Here are some of the team."

Naturally, The Reg suggested to the firm that it perhaps realised - a little too late - that making public such a leader board was simply bad PR for ebuyer.

A company spokesman said:

The photo was taken on our 'Charity Christmas Jumper day' and shows the number of returns we were able to avoid taking back by providing technical advice, for instance fault-finding with a printer which appeared initially defective - but was simply a configuration issue. The image was removed to avoid giving the wrong impression as the term 'rejected' can easily be taken out of context here and escalate, especially on social media channels.

Ain't that the truth.

Source: The Register

why wouldn't you believe the register when there is a photo you can see yourself (assuming you have reasonable eyesight).

Because as I said, I've never had an issue with returns at ebuyer. They are as hassle-free as it gets when it comes to RMAs. If you tell them what the problem is they'll accept your request providing they can't help other ways. Which is exactly what their spokesperson said; "shows the number of returns we were able to avoid taking back by providing technical advice". Sounds like a pretty reasonable stat to track for employee performance.

The Register is going with the spin of course & taking a photo out of context to create clicks.

I stopped using ebuyer after they refused to accept faulty ram back. Died after 6 months and failed memtest. They sent it back saying that it was fine - I tested it again, and it still failed memtest. Threatened them with a CC chargeback and surprisingly they resented and sent me a new stick.

Also, the fact that they use 0871 numbers for CS annoyed me.

I stopped using ebuyer after they refused to accept faulty ram back. Died after 6 months and failed memtest. They sent it back saying that it was fine - I tested it again, and it still failed memtest. Threatened them with a CC chargeback and surprisingly they resented and sent me a new stick.Also, the fact that they use 0871 numbers for CS annoyed me.

similar here, tis one of the reasons I rate ebay higher personally. CS should be free to call.

The number is pretty small in this case (looks like sub 20%) so I'm sure they are accurate in their explanation (that this is covering configuration issues or similar stuff). Not too surprising for a company to attempt to minimize returns as those things are very expensive (unless you have the size to push the costs back up the chain).

Either way, the picture definitely does give the wrong impression.

Bought a lots from ebuyer for myself and customers and never had one issue with them when returning faulty goods. Never had them disagree with my diagnosis, maybe I have been lucky.

I've used Ebuyer loads over the last 10 years and never had any issues with RMA's. I've had to make a few and Ebuyer has always accepted what i thought was wrong with the product. I even got a call once letting me know the RMA had been processed and another part would be sent out the same day for next day delivery.

Never had any problems with the service from Ebuyer what so ever.

I guess they don't pay that chick in the snowman sweater enough for her to buy luxuries.....such as, food.

That's ridiculous, she has a fantastic figure.

I don't see what the problem is here. Surely as a technical support department, the ultimate aim is to end up with a happy customer with a working device.  If the Tech Support agent achieves that over the phone without requiring the customer to ship back their device and wait for a replacement, then all the better. Rewarding the agent for doing that is not a bad thing.

Mountain over a mole hill much? Typical El Reg sensationalism if you ask me.