iPad Mini screen cracked by itself?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 hotdog963al

hotdog963al

Meow

Posted 25 December 2013 - 00:46

Merry Chrimbus Chaps!

My sister has had this iPad Mini (Non-retina) for about 2 months now, and she's just contacted me this evening saying that she left the room for about 20 seconds after using it only to come back to this:

Gbv4jALl.jpg

Hasn't been dropped, I think she only ever uses it on the sofa. Bizarre, anyone else had this happen before? I think she bought it from Amazon, do you think the guys at the Apple store would accept this as a faulty screen or simply accuse her of dropping it? The damage appears to be focussed around the sides of the home button... :/

She has no idea what to do, I've recommended taking it to the Apple store, but eugh- great time for this to happen eh?

#2 +Audien

Audien

Software Eng.

• Phone: iPhone 5S

Posted 25 December 2013 - 00:47

She probably dropped it, though it is strange that it's focussed around the home button.  I've never personally heard of shattering like that.

#3 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 25 December 2013 - 00:50

Poltergeist ?

#4 OP hotdog963al

hotdog963al

Meow

Posted 25 December 2013 - 00:51

Poltergeist ?

I think she had been watching a horror film prior to this- maybe some of the ghosts came through the TV?

#5 Brian M.

Brian M.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 25 December 2013 - 00:53

Sorry dude, I don't quite think she's telling the truth.

Zoom in on the red circle, you can see impact damage/dents in the plastic edging which line up perfectly with the cracks. Guys at the Apple store will 100% notice this, and will charge her for a replacement.

Attached Images

• http-__i.imgur.com_Gbv4jALl.png

#6 +Majesticmerc

Majesticmerc

Resident Idealist

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: HTC One X

Posted 25 December 2013 - 01:05

Sorry dude, I don't quite think she's telling the truth.

Zoom in on the red circle, you can see impact damage/dents in the plastic edging which line up perfectly with the cracks. Guys at the Apple store will 100% notice this, and will charge her for a replacement.

Nice work Poirot :D!

Definitely looks dropped to me as well. The cracks extend most of the way across one edge, very telling of a drop from height IMO.

#7 OP hotdog963al

hotdog963al

Meow

Posted 25 December 2013 - 01:06

Hmm... It does look like that in the original photo, but there are general scuff marks/wisps all around the silver rim.

I've got a couple of extra shots here:

http://imgur.com/a/TuKTc

:s

#8 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 25 December 2013 - 01:09

What was the temperature like in the room? Glass can crack when exposed to rapid and large temperature swings...

#9 OP hotdog963al

hotdog963al

Meow

Posted 25 December 2013 - 01:13

What was the temperature like in the room? Glass can crack when exposed to rapid and large temperature swings...

That was one of the first questions I asked her, that and battery level (swelling etc?). It's been kept at a consistent room temperature, and hasn't left the living room (wooly carpeted!). Battery was at around 80% allegedly. I will be extremely embarrassed if she has been lying about this, but it does seem pretty unlikely given the circumstances. Guess this isn't a common issue after all then!

#10 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 25 December 2013 - 01:23

That was one of the first questions I asked her, that and battery level (swelling etc?). It's been kept at a consistent room temperature, and hasn't left the living room (wooly carpeted!). Battery was at around 80% allegedly. I will be extremely embarrassed if she has been lying about this, but it does seem pretty unlikely given the circumstances. Guess this isn't a common issue after all then!

Well I won't write off a drop just yet...

The fracture point is centered around the home button so it is quite possible the it was dropped in such a way that this was the point of impact. Glass fractures outward from the source of impact in a widening manner as shown here. If this were the case the home button wouldn't break and would appear intact, as shown here, due to its ability to be depressed allowing it to absorb some impact force.

#11 exotoxic

exotoxic

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 25 December 2013 - 01:32

I'm going with stress fracture.

#12 psionicinversion

psionicinversion

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 25 December 2013 - 02:24

yeah id prolly say someat happened and she cracke the botom went up to the fingerprint scanner as a weakened point pressed on it then it cracked from there to, bit like how a small chip in your windscreen can crack into something major

#13 rippleman

rippleman

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 25 December 2013 - 02:30

This EXACT same thing happened to my nephew! Yup, he said he put it on his bed and when he came back it was cracked and has NO idea what happened.... :) Sure nephew, Sure you don't. lol

#14 rippleman

rippleman

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 25 December 2013 - 02:31

eh?

i thought "eh" is limited to only Canadians? what the heck? lol

#15 zhangm

zhangm

Just bitter.

• Tech Issues Solved: 13

Posted 25 December 2013 - 02:37

You wouldn't see evidence of concentric circles (the intermediate fractures that connect the radially projecting lines) if this were a thermal issue. There was pressure placed upon the point where cracks are most concentrated, either from an impact, or because the device was face down on a surface and pressed into something hard between the glass and the surface.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!