• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 +snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

Electrical & Computer Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 29
  • Phone: dumb phone

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:34

Although it may slip by the mobo maker it probably isn't a warranty related failure...

Did you have the computer behind a surge protector? As this sounds like you possibly experienced a power surge and this killed the board. In the best case scenario your PSU would have picked up the spike and killed itself cutting off the power or managed to safely shutdown in time to prevent it from making it up stream to your equipment. Were you able to test everything else in the machine? As more than just the board could have died.

Although the board itself may or may not be a crap brand I don't think it was the board at fault here...

I generally wouldn't be telling the manufacturer that there was a speculative surge if my board stopped working. I'd just tell them that the board stopped working otherwise you are giving them excuses to deny you warranty even though neither they or the OP know if there was a surge or if the motherboard was just faulty and died because the power was cut abruptly.

A number of years ago, when I needed my touchpad replaced under warranty, Dell tech support inquired how I got a copy of Windows from on my pre-installed Ubuntu Laptop (msdnaa at the time) even though that information wasn't relevant to the issue at hand. I had already literally told them I tested it in Linux, Windows, and the GUI BIOS; and that the right mouse button wasn't working in anything. They then went abruptly to the line of questioning of the origin of the OS and it just appeared to me that they were looking for reasons to try to deny me replacement/repair. I was imagining that had they wanted to tell me some crap about how pirated windows voids the warranty on the laptop. I imagine they got that quite a lot with those Ubuntu pre-installed laptops. It was approximately 50 dollars cheaper than pre-installed Windows version iirc.

#17 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 01 January 2014 - 04:19

I generally wouldn't be telling the manufacturer that there was a speculative surge if my board stopped working. I'd just tell them that the board stopped working otherwise you are giving them excuses to deny you warranty even though neither they or the OP know if there was a surge or if the motherboard was just faulty and died because the power was cut abruptly.

A number of years ago, when I needed my touchpad replaced under warranty, Dell tech support inquired how I got a copy of Windows from on my pre-installed Ubuntu Laptop (msdnaa at the time) even though that information wasn't relevant to the issue at hand. I had already literally told them I tested it in Linux, Windows, and the GUI BIOS; and that the right mouse button wasn't working in anything. They then went abruptly to the line of questioning of the origin of the OS and it just appeared to me that they were looking for reasons to try to deny me replacement/repair. I was imagining that had they wanted to tell me some crap about how pirated windows voids the warranty on the laptop. I imagine they got that quite a lot with those Ubuntu pre-installed laptops. It was approximately 50 dollars cheaper than pre-installed Windows version iirc.

I wasn't giving the OP any guidelines or definitive answers so much as giving him what I see as a very likely cause. That being said, I too would be very cautious about giving this information to the manufacturer for the reasons you already mentioned.

#18 Farchord

Farchord

Life is but a sum of your achievements

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 01 January 2014 - 20:34

I have two ECS motherboards for years: they both still work perfectly fine today.

I didn't say all ECS motherboards blow up within weeks, they are only lower quality than let's say Asus...

#19 _dandy_

_dandy_

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 January 2014 - 20:57

If you can get the motherboard replaced under warranty, then of course you should get it replaced and not just get another one out of pocket.

If you really insist on not using that motherboard anymore, then sell the replacement, and put that money towards another one.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!