usa christmas no gifts last possible second overwhelmed future credit

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,490 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 04:41

It wasn't a problem at Santa's workshop that held up Christmas presents for some this year, but rather, shipping problems at UPS and FedEx.

The delays were blamed on poor weather earlier this week in parts of the country as well as overloaded systems. The holiday shopping period this year was shorter than usual, more buying was done online and Americans' tendency to wait until the last possible second to shop probably didn't help either.

Neither company said how many packages were delayed but noted it was a small share of overall holiday shipments. While the bulk of consumers' holiday spending remains at physical stores, shopping online is increasingly popular and outstripping spending growth in stores at the mall.

The problems appear to have affected many parts of the country. The Associated Press spoke to people in Alabama, California, Georgia, Kansas, Louisiana, Nevada, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Texas and Virginia who didn't receive presents in time for Christmas.

Many gifts didn't arrive.

Some FedEx customers are able to pick up packages Christmas Day at their local FedEx Express centers.

FedEx said deliveries to their homes were attempted but failed because "the business was closed." During follow-up calls with customer service, they said they learned that the local depot was overwhelmed and didn't attempt delivery.

Amazon.com has been notifying some customers affected by the UPS delays that it will refund any shipping charges and is giving them a $20 credit toward a future purchase.

more

#2 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 18,980 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 00:16

Amazon has said they're going to "review" the performance of the delivery companies. Makes one think of their drone delivery plans, which could cover 80% of their orders, and possibly AmazonFresh, their grocery delivery service, expanding into a new shipping company.

amazon-is-working-on-a-plan-to-deliver-y

#3 Shadier

Shadier

Neowinian

• 81 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Posted 27 December 2013 - 00:28

Both UPS and Fedex get rid of their date guarantees during the holiday season for all ground shipments. The only thing they guarantee is Next day, Second day, and 3 day select. The problem is that Amazon gave customers a "Before Christmas" guarantee, while the shipping companies they used did not have such a guarantee. Fedex and UPS can only handle so much, I think the majority of the blame lies on Amazon for guaranteeing something that wasn't necessarily guaranteed, and the consumers for waiting until December 22nd to buy their gifts online. 

#4 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

• 6,507 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 27 December 2013 - 00:33

Both UPS and Fedex get rid of their date guarantees during the holiday season for all ground shipments. The only thing they guarantee is Next day, Second day, and 3 day select. The problem is that Amazon gave customers a "Before Christmas" guarantee, while the shipping companies they used did not have such a guarantee. Fedex and UPS can only handle so much, I think the majority of the blame lies on Amazon for guaranteeing something that wasn't necessarily guaranteed, and the consumers for waiting until December 22nd to buy their gifts online. 

I'm sure Amazon has delivery guarantees in place with UPS and FedEx. Keep in mind that these shipping agreements are worked out in private... UPS and FedEx published shipping rules only apply to small shippers (the same is true for price).

Although UPS/FedEx may have included some provision to get them out of this they will still get a hard squeeze from Amazon (which is probably a very sizable chunk of business). One such squeeze could be Amazon relying more on regional shippers like LaserShip during the holiday season next year (as they may be able to squeeze deeper concessions out of them). Any decent decline from Amazon during the peak holiday shipping season would have a very big impact on their bottom line. Expect some point here for UPS and FedEx even if they have an out contract wise.

#5 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• 7,558 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 00:41

while the shipping companies they used did not have such a guarantee. Fedex and UPS can only handle so much, I think the majority of the blame lies on Amazon for guaranteeing something that wasn't necessarily guaranteed, and the consumers for waiting until December 22nd to buy their gifts online. 

UPS - http://www.ups.com/c..._day_saver.html

Residental: Next business day delivery by end of day

and -

Benefits: Guaranteed next-day delivery for peace of mind

FedEx - They have commitments posted also - http://images.fedex....Commitments.pdf

If the packages are in the carriers system by the cut off time, which MOST of them were, they should be delivered. Example of one of my packages what was delivered today, 1 day late.

It was at the local facility at 11am on the 24th, instead of them loading it onto another truck to deliver it, since the first truck had already left, they decided to just *wait* until today. That wasn't the deal. If I owned a parcel company and someone came into my shop and I charged them money with an understanding it would be at it's recipient the next day as agreed upon with the shipper, and I just decided to sit on it a day... then I wouldn't own a parcel company very long.

Point being, UPS should have done whatever they could to get the job done, it sounds like they ran their normal routes and just went home. Last year I clearly remember receiving a package around midnight from them... I knew it was coming and I just figured it would be late, magically at almost midnight I heard a truck rumble outside, they left it at the door step.

Their only function/job is to deliver things and they should have been better prepared or even have stepped up and asked drivers to make triple-overtime and work on Christmas if they choose to... Now shippers are going to request refunds on the price of the shipping and UPS/FedEx will end up losing even more money because of it.

EDIT: And now Amazon is going to pay money also because of it - http://www.neowin.ne...es-by-christmas

#6 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,490 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 00:52

I noticed a lot of teasing on Amazon -- order within X hours, to get it by Xmas Eve ...

#7 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• 7,558 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 00:55

I noticed a lot of teasing on Amazon -- order within X hours, to get it by Xmas Eve ...

That's normal it always shows "order within the next X hours to get it by Friday" etc.. and it's typically 100% accurate.. I'd venture to say ALL of the packages left the Amazon warehouses, the problem was UPS/FedEx

Edit:

As I suspected - http://www.nj.com/bu..._gift_card.html

The company also said that it did its part to ensure that orders would be delivered on time, saying in a statement that its "fulfillment centers processed and tendered customer orders to delivery carriers on time for holiday delivery."

#8 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 27,187 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 01:09

I'm sure a lot of people were Fed-up! .. .Get it? :laugh:

#9 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,490 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 01:13

posted in story:

Amazon.com has been notifying some customers affected by the UPS delays that it will refund any shipping charges and is giving them a $20 credit toward a future purchase.

#10 morebaker

morebaker

Neowinian

• 1,024 posts
  • Phone: nexus 5

Posted 27 December 2013 - 01:30

I order lots of stuff online but if i needed before Christmas i would not take the chance

Sometimes you get off your butt and get it yourself

#11 Brandon

Brandon

Neowin RUNNER

• 13,032 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 15:35

Don't forget that a decent amount of this is also dependent on logistics and weather (especially weather). 

I'm in Chicago. There are many times (like yesterday) where I order something with normal prime shipping and I'll have it next day, even though I only selected the normal 2 day prime

#12 Brian M.

Brian M.

Neowinian Senior

• 12,822 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 15:41

Amazon has said they're going to "review" the performance of the delivery companies. Makes one think of their drone delivery plans, which could cover 80% of their orders, and possibly AmazonFresh, their grocery delivery service, expanding into a new shipping company.

amazon-is-working-on-a-plan-to-deliver-y

I really hope not! Amazon have started their own courier company in London - Amazon Logistics. It's a nightmare. One delivery was lost completely, several have arrived late. For another one the driver turned up and said "I should have a parcel for you, but it's not on the van" - turned out it was on the floor outside the depot - nobody noticed it had fallen off when loading the van.

They often deliver things by posting them through the door - one through my Neighbours door without informing me or asking my neighbour (I just got an "it's been delivered" email).

An example of Amazon's fantastic delivery service (no attempts were made :p):

1097234_10201635962689715_1669123051_o.j

#13 compl3x

compl3x

Space coyote

• 8,956 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 27 December 2013 - 16:38

Americans' tendency to wait until the last possible second to shop probably didn't help either.

Well there's your problem.

#14 Tha Bloo Monkee

Tha Bloo Monkee

Da Ba Dee Da Ba Die

• 4,325 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 16:43

I'm sure a lot of people were Fed-up! .. .Get it? :laugh:

You beat me to it.

"Did you hear FedEx and UPS are merging?  They're going to be called FedUp!"

/joke

But I think the problem here is, like the article says, people like to wait till the last minute.  As a general rule, I know to have my online shopping done by December 1st to ensure it'll be here for Christmas, and even then, it's not 100%.  The week before December starts is the safest bet.

#15 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

• 9,884 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900 / Oneplus One

Posted 27 December 2013 - 20:10

People really need to get some perspective. One of my friends works at FedEx and for the past month he has had to put in nearly 80 hours a week and barely gets to see his family in December. In other parts of the country where ice storms hit I'm sure it was even worse. FedEx and UPS only have so many planes and everything usually goes through Memphis. So id bad weather shuts down several airports on the east coast, you will get backlogs and then those backlogs will have a domino effect on the next day of deliveries and so on.

I mean seriously, you get 364 days out of the year to shop for Christmas presents and you wait until the last day? Especially if it's something online that takes no effort to purchase at all. Do it in November or something, stop waiting until the week before Christmas to buy your presents.