Media Center for XBOX one non existing?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 zerolimit

zerolimit

Neowinian

Posted 26 December 2013 - 05:50

I've looked everywhere! 

all media centers don't work and i was wondering if anyone finally figured out a way to get movies from a server.

#2 trip21

trip21

Neowinian

Posted 26 December 2013 - 05:59

Streaming your own content seems to be against Microsoft's current plans. It should be called Xbox Everything; everything you want it to do requires signing up for a subscription with MS.

#3 OP zerolimit

zerolimit

Neowinian

Posted 26 December 2013 - 06:06

i wouldn't mind playing a yearly fee to get some nice features. 

But we have NOTHING!!! not even a extender

#4 vetMathachew

Mathachew

Wise beyond my youth... that's what she said!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 26 December 2013 - 17:44

Yeah, I'm feeling some buyers remorse with the simple things they've gutted or over complicated. I made a video for my father-in-law for Christmas of his daughters sharing some things about him, but didn't have time to put it on a DVD. I created an MP4 file, but couldn't play it on my Xbox One from my flash drive. Instead, I had to fire up my 360. How backwards is that?

#5 Aergan

Aergan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 26 December 2013 - 17:47

By entertainment device they are referring to after you subscribe to Netflix, Spotify, Xbox Music, etc.

#6 +InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Galaxy Nexus running CyanogenMod 11

Posted 26 December 2013 - 18:11

The Xbox One is very limited compared to the Xbox 360 when it comes to playing your own media, you can play Blu-rays and Audio CD's... that's about it unfortunately.

Unless i'm missing the obvious you cant even change the black background on the dashboard either.

#7 vadirtyr

vadirtyr

Neowinian

Posted 26 December 2013 - 18:25

I haven't been able to find a good solution to directly play movies from my media server, but if you are running Media Browser 3 Server you can connect to the web interface using IE on the X1 and stream the movies in the browser. It isn't perfect but it does the job for now.  I just pinned the "Login Page" to my home screen and it almost feels like an app. Almost.The developers have stated that they hope to have an X1 app in the future, so hopefully they will.

#8 +DConnell

DConnell

Madman with a blue box

• Phone: Lumia 1520 running Windows Phone 8.1

Posted 26 December 2013 - 18:40

I guess I'm not getting an X1 for a while at least. Streaming personal media is my #1 use of my 360, so if the X1 doesn't do personal media, I really don't have much reason to upgrade.

Is there any word on Microsoft considering adding that feature in?

#9 0sit0

0sit0

Live and let live

Posted 26 December 2013 - 18:40

I haven't been able to find a good solution to directly play movies from my media server, but if you are running Media Browser 3 Server you can connect to the web interface using IE on the X1 and stream the movies in the browser. It isn't perfect but it does the job for now.  I just pinned the "Login Page" to my home screen and it almost feels like an app. Almost.The developers have stated that they hope to have an X1 app in the future, so hopefully they will.

Interesting... I wonder if it works with the Plex web interface.

#10 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 26 December 2013 - 18:41

Streaming your own content seems to be against Microsoft's current plans. It should be called Xbox Everything; everything you want it to do requires signing up for a subscription with MS.

I have no problem streaming stuff in a round about way, I use Skifta on my Android phone/tablet, you choose the Player as the DLNA Xbox and select your media and it plays.. no issues... nothing built into Xbox one yet though.

#11 Ironman273

Ironman273

Neowinian Fanatic

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 26 December 2013 - 18:49

I haven't been able to use that method.  When I try to access the server the IE browser says the page is not compatible.

I also want what zerolimit is looking for: a way to browse my movie library I have on a NAS and play from it.  Right now I'm using my AppleTV to do it but I'd like to be able to handle it from one device.

#12 SlasherKG

SlasherKG

Neowinian

Posted 26 December 2013 - 19:05

The best method for playing media from my computers is to use the built-in "Play To" feature in Windows.

I'm not sure how far back it works, but I know Windows 8 does it (maybe Windows 7 also).

I just select the MP4 video or audio file and select play to>then select my Xbox One from the list.

On the Xbox One, the video or audio app opens and start playing the file.

Not perfect, but way better in my opinion than anything the 360 did.

#13 Ironman273

Ironman273

Neowinian Fanatic

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 26 December 2013 - 19:12

The best method for playing media from my computers is to use the built-in "Play To" feature in Windows.

I'm not sure how far back it works, but I know Windows 8 does it (maybe Windows 7 also).

I just select the MP4 video or audio file and select play to>then select my Xbox One from the list.

On the Xbox One, the video or audio app opens and start playing the file.

Not perfect, but way better in my opinion than anything the 360 did.

There are various methods that "work" but the ideal for me (and I'm sure various others) is to have a way to view the content available from the X1 and be able to hit play from the X1 to play a movie.  My PC is on another floor and I don't always have mobile devices with me to start the Play To feature.

#14 vetMathachew

Mathachew

Wise beyond my youth... that's what she said!

Posted 26 December 2013 - 19:34

I have no problem streaming stuff in a round about way, I use Skifta on my Android phone/tablet, you choose the Player as the DLNA Xbox and select your media and it plays.. no issues... nothing built into Xbox one yet though.

Yeah, that's convenient...

#15 +InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Galaxy Nexus running CyanogenMod 11

Posted 26 December 2013 - 19:41

Interesting... I wonder if it works with the Plex web interface.

I tested it when i got my Xbox One and it just kept loading on the log-in page. Not tested it recently though so the latest update may have added Xbox One support.