Media Center for XBOX one non existing?

Streaming your own content seems to be against Microsoft's current plans. It should be called Xbox Everything; everything you want it to do requires signing up for a subscription with MS.

Yeah, I'm feeling some buyers remorse with the simple things they've gutted or over complicated. I made a video for my father-in-law for Christmas of his daughters sharing some things about him, but didn't have time to put it on a DVD. I created an MP4 file, but couldn't play it on my Xbox One from my flash drive. Instead, I had to fire up my 360. How backwards is that?

The Xbox One is very limited compared to the Xbox 360 when it comes to playing your own media, you can play Blu-rays and Audio CD's... that's about it unfortunately.

Unless i'm missing the obvious you cant even change the black background on the dashboard either.

I haven't been able to find a good solution to directly play movies from my media server, but if you are running Media Browser 3 Server you can connect to the web interface using IE on the X1 and stream the movies in the browser. It isn't perfect but it does the job for now.  I just pinned the "Login Page" to my home screen and it almost feels like an app. Almost.The developers have stated that they hope to have an X1 app in the future, so hopefully they will.

I guess I'm not getting an X1 for a while at least. Streaming personal media is my #1 use of my 360, so if the X1 doesn't do personal media, I really don't have much reason to upgrade.

Is there any word on Microsoft considering adding that feature in?

I haven't been able to find a good solution to directly play movies from my media server, but if you are running Media Browser 3 Server you can connect to the web interface using IE on the X1 and stream the movies in the browser. It isn't perfect but it does the job for now.  I just pinned the "Login Page" to my home screen and it almost feels like an app. Almost.The developers have stated that they hope to have an X1 app in the future, so hopefully they will.

Interesting... I wonder if it works with the Plex web interface.

Streaming your own content seems to be against Microsoft's current plans. It should be called Xbox Everything; everything you want it to do requires signing up for a subscription with MS.

I have no problem streaming stuff in a round about way, I use Skifta on my Android phone/tablet, you choose the Player as the DLNA Xbox and select your media and it plays.. no issues... nothing built into Xbox one yet though.

I haven't been able to use that method.  When I try to access the server the IE browser says the page is not compatible.

I also want what zerolimit is looking for: a way to browse my movie library I have on a NAS and play from it.  Right now I'm using my AppleTV to do it but I'd like to be able to handle it from one device.

The best method for playing media from my computers is to use the built-in "Play To" feature in Windows.

I'm not sure how far back it works, but I know Windows 8 does it (maybe Windows 7 also).

I just select the MP4 video or audio file and select play to>then select my Xbox One from the list.

On the Xbox One, the video or audio app opens and start playing the file.

Not perfect, but way better in my opinion than anything the 360 did.

The best method for playing media from my computers is to use the built-in "Play To" feature in Windows.

I'm not sure how far back it works, but I know Windows 8 does it (maybe Windows 7 also).

I just select the MP4 video or audio file and select play to>then select my Xbox One from the list.

On the Xbox One, the video or audio app opens and start playing the file.

Not perfect, but way better in my opinion than anything the 360 did.

There are various methods that "work" but the ideal for me (and I'm sure various others) is to have a way to view the content available from the X1 and be able to hit play from the X1 to play a movie.  My PC is on another floor and I don't always have mobile devices with me to start the Play To feature.

I have no problem streaming stuff in a round about way, I use Skifta on my Android phone/tablet, you choose the Player as the DLNA Xbox and select your media and it plays.. no issues... nothing built into Xbox one yet though.

Yeah, that's convenient...

Interesting... I wonder if it works with the Plex web interface.

I tested it when i got my Xbox One and it just kept loading on the log-in page. Not tested it recently though so the latest update may have added Xbox One support.

Try Mediabrowser 3. It works in the browser. 

http://www.mediabrowser3.com/

This is the third time I ask this:  When I try to access the mediabrowser page using the X1's IE I get a "Page is not compatible" message.  I'll take a picture of it tonight.  Would anyone know why it isn't working for me?  

This is the third time I ask this:  When I try to access the mediabrowser page using the X1's IE I get a "Page is not compatible" message.  I'll take a picture of it tonight.  Would anyone know why it isn't working for me? 

Check out this discussion. I don't have an Xbox One but imo a roku is better than using an xbox. I use an HTPC instead. 

http://mediabrowser3.com/community/index.php?/topic/1193-xbox-one/page-8

Xendrome thank you... Skifta for iOS works great for streaming to my xbox one. Played almost everything I threw at it. Only had one video play with no audio but the rest played flawlessly when combined with ums

Well, this is the screen I get when I try to navigate to: 

http://192.168.1.23:8096/mediabrowser
(Sorry for the quality)

I responded to your question in the other thread, so see if that helps.

I am currently happily using MB3 via IE to access all of my media until the development team are allowed by MS to make a native 3rd party app, one that will allow for proper compatibility with remotes and make use of the X1 specific features like snapping or playing media in the background.

what other thread so i can do it on my system also

What fixed it for me was to type the whole address, including the

http://
(which I wasn't putting in)