michigan driver license suspend truant truancy teen school lawmaker

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Gerowen

Gerowen

Neowinian Senior

• 3,402 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 18:25

Thinking about cutting class in Michigan? Make sure you know someone with whom you can hitch a ride.

A state representative wants to revoke driver’s licenses for chronically absent students as part of an initiative to cut down on truancy.

State Rep. Andy Schor, D-Lansing, introduced two bills last week that would alert Michigan’s secretary of state – who oversees the issuance of licenses – whenever a student’s truancy gets so severe that his or her school refers the matter to court. The student’s license would be suspended or withheld for six months under the proposed law.

“There’s truant, and then there’s chronically truant,” Schor told FoxNews.com Thursday night. “This is for the worst offenders.”

Schor, who served in the Department of Education under President Clinton and later worked on education matters, including truancy, as an aide to Michigan representatives, said the idea occurred to him earlier this year when the state House of Representatives passed a bill to withhold welfare from parents whose children didn’t attend class.

Schor opposed that law, arguing that parents only had so much control in making sure their children sat in class. But in banning students’ driver’s licenses, the state would be penalizing the teens themselves.

The bills have already garnered a half-dozen Republican cosponsors, Schor said, and he hopes to get a hearing on them early in 2014.

As for whether teens who consistently skip class would be inclined to follow the rules on driving without a license, Schor said he can’t compel wayward youths to be lawful.

“People know the consequences, and they’ll make that decision for themselves,” Schor said. “I can’t stop anybody from breaking the law.”

#2 trag3dy

trag3dy

Neowinian Senior

• 6,689 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 18:27

Sounds completely fair.

#3 compl3x

compl3x

OK. compl3x again.

• 7,982 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 27 December 2013 - 21:26

Seems fine. Driving isn't a guaranteed right, perhaps we should extend it to adults who constantly break the law. Replace or augment community service with having your license revoked.

#4 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 16,965 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 21:34

Yup, sounds good. We already have gradiated drivets licenses for youths where priviliges (night driving, number of passengers etc.) expand over time IF they keep they noses clean.

#5 RichardK

RichardK

Neowinian

• 506 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 21:41

We already have this in Texas, not sure if there are any statistics to show it has done any good though:

https://www.oag.stat...e/truancy.shtml

Your driver's license can be suspended for up to one year for truancy. This includes suspending the ability to receive a learner's permit.

#6 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

• 10,785 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 22:34

Seems fine, though parents should be doing this themselves without needing government intervention. We all know that won't happen though.

#7 compl3x

compl3x

OK. compl3x again.

• 7,982 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 03:06

Seems fine, though parents should be doing this themselves without needing government intervention. We all know that won't happen though.

Parents can hardly sit in their kids class ensuring they turned up. My parents did their best to make sure I attended school everyday but I ditched class every so often.

#8 Rohdekill

Rohdekill

Neowinian Senior

• 3,516 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 03:19

Unfortunately, this won't solve much.  First, people drive all the time on suspended licenses. And, even if a kid gets caught nothing will happen to him/her.

#9 rippleman

rippleman

Neowinian Senior

• 3,686 posts
  • Phone: s4

Posted 28 December 2013 - 03:35

Unfortunately, this won't solve much.  First, people drive all the time on suspended licenses. And, even if a kid gets caught nothing will happen to him/her.

guess since people don't listen anyways, why even bother with laws and licensing at all then, scrap it all then! /s

#10 rippleman

rippleman

Neowinian Senior

• 3,686 posts
  • Phone: s4

Posted 28 December 2013 - 03:35

Driving is a huge responsibility. Going to school is a huge responsibility. I see this being directly related to each other for new drivers.

#11 i_was_here

i_was_here

Neowinian Senior

• 1,768 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 03:59

I understand the reason, but it seems like the consequence (revoked license) is completely unrelated to being truant. You could be the best driver in the world but your license gets revoked for skipping too much school?

#12 Tha Bloo Monkee

Tha Bloo Monkee

Da Ba Dee Da Ba Die

• 4,084 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 04:03

I don't think your ability to drive should be reliant on whether or not you go to school.  One has nothing to do with the other.  Imagine if being late for work was a reason to take your license away?  Sounds ridiculous, right?

#13 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 11,528 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 04:12

Sounds like a good idea, something to lose, might make some think twice, I know I'd starve, and definitely have to look for another career if I lost mine

I obey the laws and highway code, but I have to, as truck drivers always get the shaft in a collision situation, (unless one can prove no fault)

#14 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 16,965 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 04:53

Unfortunately, this won't solve much. First, people drive all the time on suspended licenses. And, even if a kid gets caught nothing will happen to him/her.

You don't know Michigan.

First suspension: 1 year
Second suspension: 5 years

In neither case is the license certain to be restored. The Secretarty of State must be convinced the behaviors or circumstances have changed. Lifetime revokations are possible, and driving under one can get you escalating jail rime.

Also, minors who have done something serious with a vehicle like property damage, a DUI, injuring or killing someone can be tried as adults and face the same penalties. A vehicular homicide here can bring a 2nd degree murder charge. Michigan has convicted 11 year olds of 1st degtee murder.

#15 compl3x

compl3x

OK. compl3x again.

• 7,982 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 05:00

I understand the reason, but it seems like the consequence (revoked license) is completely unrelated to being truant. You could be the best driver in the world but your license gets revoked for skipping too much school?

Who says a punishment has to be directly related to the type of crime? A penalty is supposed to inflict some level of inconvenience or deprivation of a freedom.

There was a suggestion here recently that revoking licenses could be used as a punishment for non-driving related offences but some people opposed it because they said it would "inconvenience" the criminal to be without a license. Incredible.