• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#46 Deleted Bye

Deleted Bye

Neowinian Senior

• 3,781 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 03:44

So slavery then? 

if this is your definition of slavery yes... most would suggest it's not. Prison crews who clean up the roadside, do you consider that slavery? What about prison kitchen crews?

#47 FlintyV

FlintyV

Neowinian Senior

• 2,377 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 03:49

if this is your definition of slavery yes... most would suggest it's not. Prison crews who clean up the roadside, do you consider that slavery? What about prison kitchen crews?

I believe that's optional for inmates and if they opt-out they receive less food.  :)

But I'd say:

"mandatory forced labor @ min. wage with a payback scheduled 10X the value of the product/goods stolen" 

is pretty spot on for being considered slavery but then again that is legal in the US. 

#48 +Phouchg

Phouchg

Resident Misanthrope

• 5,689 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 03:55

Can't do the time (and tolerate "slavery" etc.), don't do the crime. It's very simple, really.

And ok - first timers, small time stuff, may have various alibi, confessions and circumstances that made them do it, but repeat offenders - straight to the quarry, to brown bread and water, for all I care.

#49 Deleted Bye

Deleted Bye

Neowinian Senior

• 3,781 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 03:59

I believe that's optional for inmates and if they opt-out they receive less food.  :)

But I'd say:

"mandatory forced labor @ min. wage with a payback scheduled 10X the value of the product/goods stolen" 

is pretty spot on for being considered slavery but then again that is legal in the US. 

better then a slap on the wrist, or like in the story, shot in the back...

remember, the idea would be to DETER theft and break-ins, the way things are right now, there isn't much deterrent.

#50 Tha Bloo Monkee

Tha Bloo Monkee

Da Ba Dee Da Ba Die

• 4,113 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 04:39

In court documents, Shaffer told police he found the rifle and brought it into his home. When he realized it was a .22-caliber rifle, he loaded his own rounds into the gun, grabbed a flashlight and set out to find Hughes.

So after he was already gone he chased him and killed him?  I hope he ends up in jail.  You can't even claim self-defense once the guy has already left; it's just pure vigilantism.

#51 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 18,150 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 05:54

Hope he is brought up on formal charges and at least sees several years. His life was no longer in danger. He hunted the guy down.

#52 oceanseleven

oceanseleven

Neowinian

• 152 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 06:09

Well, to be more precise maybe instead of saying "after he was already gone", I would say "after he committed attempted robbery and attempted murder".  Then, yes the man chased him down and killed him, which wasn't the best decision but that kid has a criminal past and tried to murder someone.  Considering the information I have from the story, I don't have sympathy for either side. 

So after he was already gone he chased him and killed him?  I hope he ends up in jail.  You can't even claim self-defense once the guy has already left; it's just pure vigilantism.