usa national longitudinal study pregnancy sexual intercourse chastity

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,709 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 00:20

Roughly one out of every 200 American women claim to have become pregnant as virgins, according to a recently published study. But scholars think that far from Bethlehem, something other than a miracle is afoot.

Researchers from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill tracked how women answered questions on the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health. They found that a small fraction of women – 0.5% – reported getting pregnant before they started having sex.

Women with “virgin pregnancy” were twice as likely as other pregnant women to have signed a chastity pledge, with more than 30% reporting they had done so. Their parents, in turn, were more likely to say they had trouble discussing sex or birth control with their children, the survey showed.

Did the women really think they became pregnant as virgins? It isn’t clear. Women were asked when they started having sex and when they got pregnant – and might have misremembered one date or the other, said UNC-Chapel Hill professor Amy H. Herring, one of the authors of the study.

“They might also want to put their best foot forward. Maybe they don’t want to admit it,” Herring said. “Anytime you’re after very sensitive data like this, you have to be very careful.”

It could also be possible that some women misunderstood the definition of sexual intercourse, even though the question was worded clearly, Herring and her fellow researchers wrote. An earlier study in Canada found that a small fraction of college students did not consider vaginal intercourse with an orgasm as “having sex,” they pointed out.

Besides “virgin pregnancy,” the study also detected hundreds of “born again virgins” who said in the first round of the survey that they had lost their virginity, yet later indicated they were virgins.

more

#2 +zhiVago

zhiVago

World Citizen

• 9,318 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 07:02

An earlier study in Canada found that a small fraction of college students did not consider vaginal intercourse with an orgasm as “having sex,” they pointed out.

Somebody should tell these researchers that a small fraction of people answer questions without reading them. They can do it for fun, out of boredom, etc.

Anomalies in statistics occur sometimes and this is one such example imho. It's best not to take this data seriously.

#3 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 15,809 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 09:15

Someone should also tell these researchers that not everyone actually tells the truth on these surveys, either!  That's made pretty plain by some saying they weren't virgins, then later saying they were...

Honestly.. Virgin pregnancy? Riiiiiiiiiiiight... :rolleyes:  I suppose they'll be asking us to believe they can walk on water next, or cure death...

#4 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• 6,885 posts
  • OS: Win 8, Win 7, Vista, OSX, iOS, Android, WP8 and various Linux distro's
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 28 December 2013 - 09:39

What would be more scary is what percentage of those actually believe it too!

#5 francescob

francescob

Neowinian Senior

• 1,857 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 09:41

That finally explains why there are still so many cults around?

#6 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,709 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:05

I had no father.

#7 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 15,809 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 12:16

I had no father.

Sure you do, you can get hold of him here!

sperm-bank-cartoon.jpg

#8 cork1958

cork1958

Neowinian

• 8,021 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 12:26

"An earlier study in Canada found that a small fraction of college students did not consider vaginal intercourse with an orgasm as “having sex,” they pointed out."

Just shows you how stupid those people were!

One of the dumbest reports I've ever read also.

#9 compl3x

compl3x

Feels good, dunnit?

• 8,261 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 28 December 2013 - 12:44

a9B2dCU.jpg

Women with “virgin pregnancy” were twice as likely as other pregnant women to have signed a chastity pledge, with more than 30% reporting they had done so. Their parents, in turn, were more likely to say they had trouble discussing sex or birth control with their children, the survey showed.

:o  Made a super promise to gawd not to be naughty, be naughty, then lie about it? That's a super-duper sin!

#10 Setnom

Setnom

Neowinian

• 1,414 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 12:46

I had no father.

37362178.jpg

#11 +dsbig

dsbig

Neowinian

• 441 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 13:08

or they where drugged and dont remember having sex.......

I think marry was drugged as well......

we all know we been drugging people from the beginning of time to get what we want.

#12 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 15,809 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:53

"An earlier study in Canada found that a small fraction of college students did not consider vaginal intercourse with an orgasm as “having sex,” they pointed out."

Just shows you how stupid those people were!

One of the dumbest reports I've ever read also.

Forced sterilization. It's the only way to keep such stupid out of the gene pool.

#13 Torolol

Torolol

• 2,930 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:15

Forced sterilization. It's the only way to keep such stupid out of the gene pool.

an alternative to human culling, I suppose.

#14 Albert

Albert

Neowinian Senior

• 1,530 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:47

anyone checking whether any of those babies walk on water, either that, or have 666 behind their ears.

either one of those are late for armageddon.

#15 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• 9,010 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 - SM-G900i

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:57

Lol.  It didn't happen with Jesus, and it certainly doesn't happen now.