PS4 teardown by iFixit

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 Andrew G.

Andrew G.

Once More 'Round the Sun

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 05 January 2014 - 23:08

ummm. Optical was always provided through an adapter in the multi out port. untill the slim anyway. so removing it isn't really removing anything that was there from the start. I'm guessing their stats say it's not being used and the few that would use it can use the multi AV out adapter. 

No, SPDIF was built into the component cable provided in the box. It only became an adapter once the HDMI port was introduced on the Elite. When they released the Slim it was built into the console. Now it has been removed and the AV port has been changed, so the old multi AV adapter doesn't work either.

This is not a matter of how often it was used, I'm simplying pointing out features were removed. There are a lot of people with pro-headsets like TBs which use the optical audio and are now SOL.

#17 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 06 January 2014 - 00:18

This is not a matter of how often it was used, I'm simplying pointing out features were removed. There are a lot of people with pro-headsets like TBs which use the optical audio and are now SOL.

Yeah its weird how features get cut and then come back. I mean they remove it from the new 360 design and yet its in the X1. Go figure.

#18 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:18

No, SPDIF was built into the component cable provided in the box.

yes, an adapter... Not built into the box.

#19 Davo

Davo

Neowinian

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:52

The PS3 FAT was back when Sony actually cared about build quality

:s

I'm wondering what exactly the fix would be for the faulty HDMI ports, short of just doing a complete redesign.

#20 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 January 2014 - 06:21

I'm wondering what exactly the fix would be for the faulty HDMI ports, short of just doing a complete redesign.

Make sure the guys on the production line press the case together properly...

#21 Tidosho

Tidosho

Electronics, Software & Computer Engineer

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 & Note 2 16GB

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:39

Most recent revision lost optical audio. Believe they also removed a USB port and changed the AV port to non-HD.

That still pales in comparison to the total amount of features removed from the PS3,. The component section of the AV cable was removed because HDMI is a more superior revision of component that combines video and audio signals in the same plug. All TV's even cheap Vestel ones have HDMI so that is a non issue.

#22 Tidosho

Tidosho

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:46

Make sure they don't use cheap Chinese HDMI sockets, use proper Japanese ones, just like I always replace cheap chinese Chang capacitors in electronics with Japanese Rubycon ones.

#23 GotBored

GotBored

Brain Trust

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:56

Make sure they don't use cheap Chinese HDMI sockets, use proper Japanese ones, just like I always replace cheap chinese Chang capacitors in electronics with Japanese Rubycon ones.

The Xbox One is made in China and the PS4 is made in Japan right?

Cheap Chinese components you say? Nothing suss about a console repair man recommending it then.

#24 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:00

Cheap Chinese components you say? Nothing suss about a console repair man recommending it then.

Both consoles are made at the same factory in China!

#25 Tidosho

Tidosho

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:38

Yeah, but they're not REALLY cheap Chinese companies. The type of Chinese firm I'm on about are hack-shop-counterfeit outfits, not guys like Foxconn or Hannstar, there is a difference. Some Chinese firms are alright.

#26 GotBored

GotBored

Brain Trust

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:54

Yeah, but they're not REALLY cheap Chinese companies. The type of Chinese firm I'm on about are hack-shop-counterfeit outfits, not guys like Foxconn or Hannstar, there is a difference. Some Chinese firms are alright.

They are still cheap, its why they are made there. What you meant to say is their product quality is good I think.

#27 OP Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:59

Not entirely true, some PS4s are made in China, others are Japan. My Killzone bundle was made in China.

#28 Andrew G.

Andrew G.

Once More 'Round the Sun

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 06 January 2014 - 13:28

yes, an adapter... Not built into the box.

I said the original Xbox 360 in 2005 came with SPDIF built into the component cable. The adapter was only released once the Elite was introduced because it was the first model to use HDMI. It is physically impossible to use the adapter prior to the HDMI models because there is only 1 AV port. Ergo, an adapter is useless unless you have HDMI.

That still pales in comparison to the total amount of features removed from the PS3, The component section of the AV cable was removed because HDMI is a more superior revision of component that combines video and audio signals in the same plug. All TV's even cheap Vestel ones have HDMI so that is a non issue.

I'm not interested in petty arguments about who lost the least/most features. Like I said, it had features removed so it's probable the X1, PS4 and Wii U will all lose something too. Even the latest Vita is downgrading from LED and it's not even 2 years old yet and the Wii U has had changes to the gamepad battery/removal of the Basic bundle. Optical audio was obviously important enough to support it out of the box in 2005 and to include in the X1 from the start, so it is not a minor feature. People depend on it for their set ups and headsets.

As for component vs HDMI, I never denied it was inferior. I wasn't even making an issue of it. I'm only mentioning the AV port has changed because the SPDIF adapter is no longer compatible. Seeing as you've brought it up though, just because you have no use for component doesn't mean it's useless. People with older set ups still make use of component/composite so it is an issue, just not for you.

----

Topic Cleaned

Anymore passive aggressive attitude and warns will be handed out. If you can't be respectful when posting, don't post at all.

Now you've all had your little spat of PS4 vs X1, post on topic or it'll be closed. This video was a breakdown of the PS4 hardware. It has absolutely nothing to do with the X1.

#29 Kreuger

Kreuger

Neowin's Local Grouch

Posted 06 January 2014 - 14:00

When I mentioned MS build quality I was including all their consoles, including the original X shaped Xbox, the 360, and the One. I just don't like Sony, had too many failed consoles. 3 dead PS2's, 2 PSP's, and 3 PS3's including my Slim. I tried to like them, but the failures and cost stopped me, Not to mention their stuff I do at work, that's a different kettle of fish.

And yet my original, fat PS2 still works which I got in Nov of 2000 (it was my birthday). I played the hell out of that thing. 10+ hrs was not uncommon.

#30 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 06 January 2014 - 16:35

I said the original Xbox 360 in 2005 came with SPDIF built into the component cable. The adapter was only released once the Elite was introduced because it was the first model to use HDMI. It is physically impossible to use the adapter prior to the HDMI models because there is only 1 AV port. Ergo, an adapter is useless unless you have HDMI.

I'm not interested in petty arguments about who lost the least/most features. Like I said, it had features removed so it's probable the X1, PS4 and Wii U will all lose something too. Even the latest Vita is downgrading from LED and it's not even 2 years old yet and the Wii U has had changes to the gamepad battery/removal of the Basic bundle. Optical audio was obviously important enough to support it out of the box in 2005 and to include in the X1 from the start, so it is not a minor feature. People depend on it for their set ups and headsets.

As for component vs HDMI, I never denied it was inferior. I wasn't even making an issue of it. I'm only mentioning the AV port has changed because the SPDIF adapter is no longer compatible. Seeing as you've brought it up though, just because you have no use for component doesn't mean it's useless. People with older set ups still make use of component/composite so it is an issue, just not for you.

----

Topic Cleaned

Anymore passive aggressive attitude and warns will be handed out. If you can't be respectful when posting, don't post at all.

Now you've all had your little spat of PS4 vs X1, post on topic or it'll be closed. This video was a breakdown of the PS4 hardware. It has absolutely nothing to do with the X1.

SPDIF was never built into the Xbox 360 as far as I can remember. It was always on the AV adapter. It never had component out on the box.