Files becoming corrupted

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:53

Hi, I have had a friend give me very scant details on an issue they are having.  Let me break it down:

* They are using MS Office

* Saving files to hard drive, sometimes they save fine sometimes they cannot reopen them with Word saying they are corrupted.

* This occurs in all other MS Office filetypes

* It also occurs when saving to a number of USB memory sticks

* Files are fine if they are sent as attachments

What I've not been able to ascertain (as I am not at PC):

* Is it only Office filetypes

Now, I know it's a sledgehammer to crack a walnut, but I'm not going to be paid for this work, so I have glibly said "Backup, wipe, reinstall" and left it at that.  But I'm actually kinda curious - any ideas?

They are running AVG which has been recently updated, so I don't believe it to be virus related.

#2 night_stalker_z

night_stalker_z

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 30 December 2013 - 14:18

Maybe it's their copy of office or it could be their hard drive is failing.

#3 - jigz -

- jigz -

Neowinian

Posted 30 December 2013 - 14:29

Hi, I have had a friend give me very scant details on an issue they are having.  Let me break it down:

* Saving files to hard drive, sometimes they save fine sometimes they cannot reopen them with Word saying they are corrupted.

Now, I know it's a sledgehammer to crack a walnut, but I'm not going to be paid for this work, so I have glibly said "Backup, wipe, reinstall" and left it at that.  But I'm actually kinda curious - any ideas?

They are running AVG which has been recently updated, so I don't believe it to be virus related.

had this issue before.. Definitely the hard drive is failing..

#4 Krome

Krome

Neowinian God!

Posted 30 December 2013 - 15:09

I've have had this problem too like around 10-20 years ago.  But that was when my computer is trying to save data that my hard drive could not handle the packets.  I assume it has something to do with "Write-caching buffer" on that drive.  This happens a lot of not set properly when you are using the IDE cable.  I do not have that problem at all now that I am using only the SATA drive.  But then again, this is only my speculation.

#5 JJ_

JJ_

Neowinian

Posted 30 December 2013 - 18:59

If files are also appearing corrupted when saving to external USB then it's unlikely to be an issue with the host HDD failing. I'd ask them to make sure their office is patched up with the latest SP & patches & then to run an AV scan with an AV that doesn't beat around the bush such as nod32 or Kaspersky, I know the latter has a 30 day no restriction free trial.

Failing that, there's nothing better than wiping and starting over.

#6 ir0nw0lf

ir0nw0lf

Neowinian Fanatic

Posted 30 December 2013 - 19:09

I'd also run a RAM test if your friend has a chance.  Especially before re-loading the OS.

#7 devn00b

devn00b

Bong On

Posted 30 December 2013 - 19:13

I had a virus in the 90's that would pick specific types of files and corrupt them, text files, doc files etc. I imagine they still have virii out in the wild that do this sort of thing. Should def check for virus, if the virus scan bombs (cant scan files), id check the ram.

#8 Night Prowler

Night Prowler

Root Access

Posted 30 December 2013 - 19:15

Look at memory. If there are multiple modules installed try removing each module or set, and then swap to see if it clears up the errors.

#9 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 12

Posted 30 December 2013 - 19:18

Look at memory. If there are multiple modules installed try removing each module or set, and then swap to see if it clears up the errors.

Doubtful that memory would only pick out Office files to corrupt. Like someone else said, it's probably the HDD.

#10 devn00b

devn00b

Bong On

Posted 30 December 2013 - 19:21

Doubtful that memory would only pick out Office files to corrupt. Like someone else said, it's probably the HDD.

Doubtful its the hard drive if its also corrupting on multiple usb drives.

#11 Neu B

Neu B

Neowinian

Posted 30 December 2013 - 19:28

Is the MS Office legal copy?

#12 xendrome

xendrome

Posted 30 December 2013 - 19:44

Is the MS Office legal copy?

Does it matter? MS doesn't have a "Save files as corrupt if not valid copy" flag...

#13 xendrome

xendrome

Posted 30 December 2013 - 19:44

Doubtful its the hard drive if its also corrupting on multiple usb drives.

Ahh right, I missed that.

#14 Neu B

Neu B

Neowinian

Posted 30 December 2013 - 19:49

Does it matter? MS doesn't have a "Save files as corrupt if not valid copy" flag...

Actually, it does.

#15 zhangm

zhangm

Just bitter.

• Tech Issues Solved: 14

Posted 30 December 2013 - 19:50

What does this mean? If you e-mail a file that won't open on your friend's computer to another computer, will it open fine?