Photo

Files becoming corrupted

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#31 devn00b

devn00b

Bong On

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:14

Back on Topic, which neu B seems hell bent on getting away from. Since you don't know if its all file types, just going to throw a 3rd option i thought of out there. Could it be the drive controller going wonky? I've had a couple boxes where the internal IDE (no sata back then) went bad but was only thing that went wrong. Perhaps run one of the mfg's drive checks to see if thats it (they can pick up controller problems). However attaching and mailing it works fine is odd to say the least. Again just my 2p.

#32 Night Prowler

Night Prowler

Root Access

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:30

Doubtful that a HDD would only pick out Office files to corrupt. Like someone else said, it's probably the Memory.

Doubtful that memory would only pick out Office files to corrupt. Like someone else said, it's probably the HDD.

#33 Night Prowler

Night Prowler

Root Access

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:32

My suggestion is, if no one else suggested it; uninstall office completly, reboot, install fresh, and give that a try.

#34 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 31 December 2013 - 13:17

Doubtful that a HDD would only pick out Office files to corrupt. Like someone else said, it's probably the Memory.

Memory is typically random in read/write which would cause ALL kinds of problems with the system, bluescreens, hard locks, etc, it would not just pick out word/excel files to corrupt... lol  HDD's use the allocation table/index, if the drive is trying to read/write to the same sectors that are free or the same area of the disk because the space is marked as free, then it is more likely it is the HDD.

Problem is, the OP said it is also doing to when writing to a few USB flash drives as well.

#35 OP +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:21

Sorry for not getting back sooner, totally forgot about this what with New Year and so on.

I assume everything is legit - as I say it's not my PC and I am not sat at it.

I will recommend an office repair first :)

#36 +riahc3

riahc3

Neowin's most indecisive member

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: HTC Desire Z

Posted 03 January 2014 - 18:17

Hello,

Doubtful its the hard drive if its also corrupting on multiple usb drives.

The problem is that when you work on a Word document, it makes a copy on the local disk that Word is installed on. Then, when you save it, that copy is "copied" (so to speak) to the USB drive. So it might still problably be the HDD.

So reading over this again, you've used the nuclear solution. If it fixed the issue, then we might never figure out why this is occurring. If the issue isn't resolved, then it is likely to be a hardware issue. I'm inclined to think that this was Office-specific rather than hardware-related, since Windows itself reads and writes to the disk constantly when in use. Any global corruption issue would make itself more obvious than you've described (but I could be wrong).

For general troubleshooting with Office in the future, consider the built-in repair function, or creating a new user account to eliminate profile/settings-specific problems:
http://www.neowin.ne...#entry596188639

I know these aren't as effective or hands-off as a complete nuke-and-reinstall, but they are less time-intensive and more informative.

I completely agree with this post. Killing a anthill with a 10 nuclear bombs is not the best way to handle things :(

Sorry for not getting back sooner, totally forgot about this what with New Year and so on.

I assume everything is legit - as I say it's not my PC and I am not sat at it.

I will recommend an office repair first :)

You could Teamview into it and gives us some more info :)

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!