Nexus 7 warranty help!

My nexus 7 decided to die so I rang Google Play to claim off my warranty. All went well and they say they've sent a new device on the way and I have to send the old one back once the new one has been delivered so they can give me the returns slipper.

Thats all fine but when I check my bank today my available balance has ?230 missing from it! It turns out they have held the money and I won't be access to it till I've sent the old one back which can take 21 days.

Surely they can't do this? I need the money!

It's there to stop you just getting the new one and doing a runner. This is one of the many times that using a credit card helps (assuming you're not being stupid and maxing the card all the time!)

They can and will but I assumed they would have told you that. They have to put a hold on the account for the funds because people aren't nice and will take advantage when they can.

Yeah, im pretty suprised they didn't tell you this over the phone. depending on what time of the month it was I know I certainly couldnt afford to have that kind of money go out of my bank account for any period of time. I would like to hope they would offer the option to send the old and wait a week or so for the new.

I bought a Nexus 5 32GB for $445, next day delivery, ended up buying one in person for $380. Called Google and they already processed my order, they told me to tell UPS when they arrive to send it back to them and once they get it I'll get my money back. So, Friday comes, no UPS. Saturday morning, wife tells me the phone was left outside since 7pm (receipt) on the porch Friday. So, instead of wasting my time returning the Nexus 5 and waiting almost 21 more days for $445 to come back into my account, I sold it.