QR Codes: How often do you use them?

QR codes  

55 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you use QR codes?

• I use them all the time - they're a great time saver!
    • Every now and then
    • Never

QR code (abbreviated from Quick Response Code) is the trademark for a type of matrix barcode (or two-dimensional barcode) first designed for the automotive industry in Japan. A barcode is an optically machine-readable label that is attached to an item and that records information related to that item. The information encoded by a QR code may be made up of four standardized types ("modes") of data (numeric, alphanumeric, byte / binary, kanji) or, through supported extensions, virtually any type of data. 

I noticed a lot of QR codes around my house and realised I have only ever used them once or twice, and that was only for the novelty value. I was just wondering how many people on here use them, find them convenient or useful. I like the idea of the Xbox One Kinect being able to read QR codes for coupons/DLC codes instead of having to input them manually, but that is only convenient compared to the pain that inputting 20+ letters or numbers with a controller using an on-screen keyboard presents.

There are some thing around  with them, but over all there isn't much. I think they need to advertise this more for people to understand. It seems to more of a word of mouth thing.

I would never scan one on the internet or some random one i saw...  too many /b people making them up for websites you don't want to go to...  hahaha

but some products have a good info page on them, or even restaurants now sign you up for their reward program by scanning them

I HAVE a QR code on my phone for my Subway loyalty card, but aside from that I've probably scanned them once or twice ever.

I do use NFC tags though. I bought a cheap "beginner" set off Amazon, and using a combination of tasker and an NFC app on my phone, I can set my phone up for home, work, bedtime, and in the car by scanning my phone over various NFC tags. They basically work as macros. When I leave the house Wi-fi is turned off, GPS turned on, and such. When I get in my car it will launch Spotify and the car mode app. When I'm at work it'll connect to the work Wi-fi and set to silent mode during the day, and when I  go to bed it will put my phone on vibrate. It's quite a neat system.

It doesn't help that the only phone OS that has a proper built in easy to access reader is windows phone, otherwise you need to install and run another app, and it's probably buried deep in your app drawer since you never use it.

If the camera always recognized a qr code and read them without a special app, so you only needed to hit the camera button, then they might not be as stupid and unused as today.

I've got a scanner installed on my phone, but I've never really found a use for them.

I thought they would be more useful so I installed an app but I never use it either.  :/

I've got a QR scanner on my phone, so when I see a QR code I'm likely to scan it (within reason, of course). I also created a QR code the other day that is stuck to the inside of my front door. It contains the information to access my home wifi, so that way if someone comes over for the first time, or if I need to forget the network settings for whatever reason, I can just scan the code rather than asking for my flatmate's permission to go in to his room (where the router is located).

Ultimately it's more for a bit of fun, but I would definitely get behind it if more practical situations were to appear. Anyone have any thoughts?

Next step for me will be to get some NFC tags. I think a pack of 10 will start me off nicely.

I have never used QR codes in my life (except for the time I wanted to watch a trailer for an upcoming movie a few months ago.

I thought they would be more useful so I installed an app but I never use it either.  :/

The novelty is still pretty cool, but I think I'm in a minority there (I'm guessing most other people don't try scanning barcodes for "fun")

I never use them, and on a related note I never use anything that's tagged with NFC stuff either, like on some billboards I've noticed. It would just be a strange thing to do to stop in the middle of the street and wave your phone over an advertisement. 

I rarely see them, and usually when I do, I wasn't interested due to seeing them in a poster or some other advertisement.

So never used.

Really? Seems to me like they're on every friggin' thing. I was cooking breakfast and almost every ingredient I picked up had one.

Most of the time just typing in the site or googling something is quicker than loading the QR app and scanning it.

Really? Seems to me like they're on every friggin' thing. I was cooking breakfast and almost every ingredient I picked up had one.

Most of the time just typing in the site or googling something is quicker than loading the QR app and scanning it.

In honesty, I haven't 'noticed' them they could very well be everywhere, but yes, if I see something interesting I find it easier to google it as opposed to looking for the scan app, (or in my case, looking for the app to download, finding screen space, etc...)