Photo
ireland allergic reaction peanuts satay sauce childrens minister pharmaceutical society

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#46 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,971 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 31 December 2013 - 08:06

Here, depending on state law, school offices stock EpiPens for emergency non-prescription dispensing, such as a kid experiencing a food allergy. AFAICT Illinois became the latest state to approve this last year.
I would also think that under Good Samaritan laws the pharmacist would have cover.
I know for a FACT that that in Michigan pharmacies will dispense emergency inhalers to an asthmatic in acute distress because it has happened to me.

Asthma medicine has no effect on people without asthma though...

I wonder though, if she collapsed and died that fast, would the epipen really have helped her... Seems like it would have been to late anyway.

#47 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 6,011 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 31 December 2013 - 08:12

Asthma medicine has no effect on people without asthma though...

I wonder though, if she collapsed and died that fast, would the epipen really have helped her... Seems like it would have been to late anyway.

Because people can die within minutes due to an allergy, epipens extend that time hugely, allowing someone to reach a hospital.

#48 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,971 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 31 December 2013 - 08:44

Yeah but she was already dying by the time they where ate the pharmacy, the way it's written she would be dead by the time they got back out with the pen anyway.

#49 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• 5,387 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 31 December 2013 - 13:15

I bet most of you defending the scum "pharmacist" would be throwing "righteous" tantrums if the pharmacists was refusing to pass out the morning after pill or Plan B

I can't say I have any experience with getting either, but from what I'm aware neither are prescription only medications, they're both pharmacist medications so they can dispense them, there's a very big difference between providing a pharmacy-controlled pill containing excess female hormones VS a prescription only medication which can kill.

#50 Soldiers33

Soldiers33

Neowinian Senior

• 2,484 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 13:33

this wouldnt happen if people werent so greedy for money. Everyone sues each other just to get easy money. Maybe im just saying this now, but if I know i was asked to do somethign wrong and could be in a lot of trouble for it, then I wouldnt do it. Its easy to sit here and say hes this and that, but he did what was right.

#51 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 26,787 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 03:45

So I was just thinking about this story again tonight. I thought ok, the chick died, to bad, so sad, oh boo. So now lets say another man runs into his store a year later, says Help Help Help!!! My daughter is dying, But this time the guy is lying, but this time because he felt bad about the last time gives the guy a pen. He runs away. The pharmacist now gets fired for giving a person an EpiPen without a prescription.

#52 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

• 9,810 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900 / Oneplus One

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:33

Wow, how callous can people be to say that "the pharmacy did the right thing by not providing life saving medicine"?

It boggles the mind!

Because pharmacists don't have the authority to give out prescription. He wasn't even able to see the girl to make sure she really was suffering. What if I went in saying "oh my wife is in a ton of pain she can't even move so we can't get her to the hospital, I really need some vicodin please" Do you think I would get it?

What if it was a sting operation by the police to see if anyone was handing out drugs? The pharmacist now loses his job, and gets sent to jail.

#53 riahc3

riahc3

Neowin's most indecisive member

• 7,815 posts
  • Phone: HTC Desire Z

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:45

Hello,

Heavy editing in this thread.

#54 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• 6,614 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:56

Unfortunately, the parents should have called an ambulance as soon as they discovered that something was wrong.  Running to the pharmacist was the wrong thing to do.  Any discussion about what the guy at chemist should or should not have done is superfluous.

#55 +snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

Electrical & Computer Engineer

• 1,563 posts
  • Phone: dumb phone

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:35

Hello,
"She" (Mother/girl/etc) is not a authorized doctor. Not that I dispute your claims of being too late but I am sure that if you call emergency services and claim "My daughter has a alergic reaction, she does not have a perscription for x drugs, and she needs it now" the ambulance will have adrenaline shot when they arrive.

Whether she is a doctor isn't relevant. It's common knowledge that people can go into anaphylactic shock in mere minutes and will die without immediate treatment.The ambulance is simply going to take too long to get there unless you are lucky. The point of an epipen is to give you a fighting chance to live long enough to actually receive medical treatment. It's akin to applying a tourniquet on someone bleeding out.

Unfortunately, the parents should have called an ambulance as soon as they discovered that something was wrong.  Running to the pharmacist was the wrong thing to do.  Any discussion about what the guy at chemist should or should not have done is superfluous.

Unfortunately, she would have been dead by the time help got there unless they could get there within 5-15 minutes.

#56 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• 6,614 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:34

Unfortunately, she would have been dead by the time help got there unless they could get there within 5-15 minutes.

There's no reason why an ambulance couldn't arrive that quickly, especially in a city like Dublin. Her chances of survival would certainly have been better if an ambulance had been called. Failing to call one because you think they might take a long time is pretty silly.

#57 Scar

Scar

Neowinian

• 203 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:58

Wow, how callous can people be to say that "the pharmacy did the right thing by not providing life saving medicine"?

It boggles the mind!

This is clearly a rather complex and bad situation for both but the pharmacist can't really do something he/she is told and trained not to. Do you have any idea how many people pass by looking for medicine they're not supposed to get?

That said, may the girl rest in peace. It's really sad and frustrating to be in that kind of situation.

#58 +snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

Electrical & Computer Engineer

• 1,563 posts
  • Phone: dumb phone

Posted 05 January 2014 - 18:10

There's no reason why an ambulance couldn't arrive that quickly, especially in a city like Dublin. Her chances of survival would certainly have been better if an ambulance had been called. Failing to call one because you think they might take a long time is pretty silly.

Why do you say that? Dublin is high traffic so it makes it far more difficult to get places quickly. The hospital itself is located approximately 11 minutes away at good times. Factor in slack of a minute or two for a call, dispatch, and for EMT to get to the vehicle to leave and you've made it in 13 minutes at best? Factor in that it was during a busy time of day and then how long?

The article never states that the no one called emergency services (that was just a random assumption by folk here to assign blame) and indeed an EMT crew in the area did get to her so obviously someone called and yet she still died. The most likely scenario is that she was out on the street waiting and her mother rushed into the pharmacy to try to get her an Epipen. In the meantime she collapsed and EMT services arrived, but it was too late because of the lack of Epipen.

#59 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• 6,614 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 18:20

Why do you say that? Dublin is high traffic so it makes it far more difficult to get places quickly. The hospital itself is located approximately 11 minutes away at good times. Factor in slack of a minute or two for a call, dispatch, and for EMT to get to the vehicle to leave and you've made it in 13 minutes at best? Factor in that it was during a busy time of day and then how long?

Well I live in London which is also a high traffic area and the few times that I've called an ambulance it's arrived within 10 minutes. I'd expect a properly stocked ambulance would be able to deal with a case like this on site without having to wait to get to the hospital to deal with the emergency.

The article never states that the no one called emergency services (that was just a random assumption by folk here to assign blame) and indeed an EMT crew in the area did get to her so obviously someone called and yet she still died. The most likely scenario is that she was out on the street waiting and her mother rushed into the pharmacy to try to get her an Epipen. In the meantime she collapsed and EMT services arrived, but it was too late because of the lack of Epipen.

Well the article doesn't say that an ambulance was called so it seems safer to assume that one wasn't. You may be right but we don't know.

By the way, I'm not trying to apportion blame. I just think it's common sense to call an ambulance in an emergency like this (especially in a large city) rather than hope for the best with a chemist.

#60 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 6,011 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 05 January 2014 - 18:23

I bet most of you defending the scum "pharmacist" would be throwing "righteous" tantrums if the pharmacists was refusing to pass out the morning after pill or Plan B

"Scum" that's rich, he did his job. Would you give away prescription medicine to every person who came in claiming an emergency or a sob story? You'd be providing half of the city's drug addicts before the month is up. You'd probably end up in prison when the police send someone in to try and see if they can get medication from you.