washington state walmart xmas gift hepatitis hiv tests surveillance video

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,532 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 23:42

A Toutle-area family’s Christmas was ruined Wednesday when their son was stabbed by a syringe inside a sweatshirt he received for Christmas.

The family had opened all its gifts, and Nanette Snyder’s 16-year-old son was wearing the hoody sweatshirt she’d bought him from the Seventh Avenue Walmart in Longview, when the incident occurred. About 1 p.m. she asked him to stand up so she could see how it looked. He stuck his hand in the front pocket and said “ow,” Snyder recalled.

What followed next was a parent’s worst nightmare, she said.

Her son pulled his hand out the pocket and a syringe was still stuck in his finger, the boy’s stepfather, Tom Basye, said Thursday. Another syringe also was found in the pocket, and both appear to have been used. One still had blood on the needle.

“I was just numb,” Snyder said.

“Just utter shock,” Basye said.

She took her son (she is not naming him publicly) to the emergency department at St. John Medical Center in Longview for HIV and hepatitis blood tests. As of late Thursday afternoon, the family still didn’t have the initial test results. Even if the first round of tests are negative, they’ll be anxious for most of next year, because the boy will need to be tested again at six weeks, 12 weeks and six months, Snyder said.

According to the federal Centers for Disease Control, it’s possible to contract HIV or Hepatitis from a single needle stick, but it’s extremely rare. The risk for HIV transmission from an infected needle stick is 0.3 percent. The risk is 1.8 percent for Hepatitis C and between 6 and 30 percent for Hepatitis B.

more

#2 tytytucke

tytytucke

Neowinian

• 711 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 00:21

I thought the kid was goanna have a bleeding disorder or something. I don't believe hiv/aids is shared though drug use as often as they believe. Anyways.....so the store is to blame...

#3 papercut2008uk

papercut2008uk

Neowinian

• 236 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:02

she says 'She bought the sweatshirt in late November and said it’s been wrapped and sitting in her home ever since.' chances are any disease/virus or anything else has long perished.

not many diseases or viruses can live on a surface or inside a syringe for that long. 

HIV is estimated to live a maximum of 36 days in a syringe/needle in the most ideal environment.

#4 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,428 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 31 December 2013 - 08:02

I thought the kid was goanna have a bleeding disorder or something. I don't believe hiv/aids is shared though drug use as often as they believe. Anyways.....so the store is to blame...

0.3% chance, it's written in the article. You consider that often ?

#5 tytytucke

tytytucke

Neowinian

• 711 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 17:28

0.3% chance, it's written in the article. You consider that often ?

When I said 'they' I meant not me, as in the parents. I can see how that could be misinterpreted.

I was saying the parents are paranoid and scaring the kid for a slight chance of something.

They could of handled this much better. I could see how this would ruin a kids social life in todays public schools.

"discretion is the better part of valor"

#6 Rohdekill

Rohdekill

Neowinian Senior

• 3,547 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 17:42

she says 'She bought the sweatshirt in late November and said it’s been wrapped and sitting in her home ever since.' chances are any disease/virus or anything else has long perished.

not many diseases or viruses can live on a surface or inside a syringe for that long. 

HIV is estimated to live a maximum of 36 days in a syringe/needle in the most ideal environment.

And yet, late November to 25 December can easily fall in under 36 days, can it not?  If she bought it after Thanksgiving, which is very likely, it falls under your 36 day claim.

#7 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• 15,969 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1

Posted 31 December 2013 - 17:43

Walmart needs to get their crap together.

#8 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,428 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 31 December 2013 - 19:59

When I said 'they' I meant not me, as in the parents. I can see how that could be misinterpreted.
I was saying the parents are paranoid and scaring the kid for a slight chance of something.
They could of handled this much better. I could see how this would ruin a kids social life in todays public schools.
"discretion is the better part of valor"

That's why they're not using their names.

#9 +snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

Electrical & Computer Engineer

• 1,563 posts
  • Phone: dumb phone

Posted 31 December 2013 - 20:47

And yet, late November to 25 December can easily fall in under 36 days, can it not?  If she bought it after Thanksgiving, which is very likely, it falls under your 36 day claim.

Looks like it is well within the realm possible at room temperatures:

At intermediate temperatures, the amount of blood in the syringe affected the duration of viability. At 22C (71.6F), viable HIV-1 was recovered from some syringes with approximately 2 and 20 µL of blood for up to 21 and 42 days, respectively.

-http://www.medscape....warticle/410301

#10 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,532 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 21:30

Wal-Mart really does have everything. :wacko:

#11 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,765 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 21:41

If HIV dies in the air, and a needle was used so long ago that anything on it dried out, how would HIV survive on the needle for more then a few days? I know most needle transmissions are use then reuse right after

edit: didn't read the comments above

#12 NightScreams

NightScreams

Neowinian

• 262 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 21:44

Sounds like someone put them their on purpose with intent to infect someone

#13 +Phouchg

Phouchg

Resident Misanthrope

• 5,689 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 21:45

Last Christmas I gave you my HIV

And the very next day you gave it away

*cough*

#14 tytytucke

tytytucke

Neowinian

• 711 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 23:37

That's why they're not using their names.

But still, The parents talking to the news about this and all the commotion is probably scaring the kid sh*tless.

#15 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 26,179 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 23:39

HIV - The gift that keeps on giving.