Teen stabbed by syringe inside sweatshirt

A Toutle-area family?s Christmas was ruined Wednesday when their son was stabbed by a syringe inside a sweatshirt he received for Christmas.

The family had opened all its gifts, and Nanette Snyder?s 16-year-old son was wearing the hoody sweatshirt she?d bought him from the Seventh Avenue Walmart in Longview, when the incident occurred. About 1 p.m. she asked him to stand up so she could see how it looked. He stuck his hand in the front pocket and said ?ow,? Snyder recalled.

What followed next was a parent?s worst nightmare, she said.

Her son pulled his hand out the pocket and a syringe was still stuck in his finger, the boy?s stepfather, Tom Basye, said Thursday. Another syringe also was found in the pocket, and both appear to have been used. One still had blood on the needle.

?I was just numb,? Snyder said.

?Just utter shock,? Basye said.

She took her son (she is not naming him publicly) to the emergency department at St. John Medical Center in Longview for HIV and hepatitis blood tests. As of late Thursday afternoon, the family still didn?t have the initial test results. Even if the first round of tests are negative, they?ll be anxious for most of next year, because the boy will need to be tested again at six weeks, 12 weeks and six months, Snyder said.

According to the federal Centers for Disease Control, it?s possible to contract HIV or Hepatitis from a single needle stick, but it?s extremely rare. The risk for HIV transmission from an infected needle stick is 0.3 percent. The risk is 1.8 percent for Hepatitis C and between 6 and 30 percent for Hepatitis B.

more

I thought the kid was goanna have a bleeding disorder or something. I don't believe hiv/aids is shared though drug use as often as they believe. Anyways.....so the store is to blame...

she says 'She bought the sweatshirt in late November and said it?s been wrapped and sitting in her home ever since.' chances are any disease/virus or anything else has long perished.

not many diseases or viruses can live on a surface or inside a syringe for that long. 

HIV is estimated to live a maximum of 36 days in a syringe/needle in the most ideal environment.

I thought the kid was goanna have a bleeding disorder or something. I don't believe hiv/aids is shared though drug use as often as they believe. Anyways.....so the store is to blame...

0.3% chance, it's written in the article. You consider that often ?

0.3% chance, it's written in the article. You consider that often ?

When I said 'they' I meant not me, as in the parents. I can see how that could be misinterpreted.

I was saying the parents are paranoid and scaring the kid for a slight chance of something.

They could of handled this much better. I could see how this would ruin a kids social life in todays public schools.

"discretion is the better part of valor"

she says 'She bought the sweatshirt in late November and said it?s been wrapped and sitting in her home ever since.' chances are any disease/virus or anything else has long perished.

not many diseases or viruses can live on a surface or inside a syringe for that long. 

HIV is estimated to live a maximum of 36 days in a syringe/needle in the most ideal environment.

And yet, late November to 25 December can easily fall in under 36 days, can it not?  If she bought it after Thanksgiving, which is very likely, it falls under your 36 day claim.

When I said 'they' I meant not me, as in the parents. I can see how that could be misinterpreted.

I was saying the parents are paranoid and scaring the kid for a slight chance of something.

They could of handled this much better. I could see how this would ruin a kids social life in todays public schools.

"discretion is the better part of valor"

That's why they're not using their names.

And yet, late November to 25 December can easily fall in under 36 days, can it not?  If she bought it after Thanksgiving, which is very likely, it falls under your 36 day claim.

Looks like it is well within the realm possible at room temperatures:

At intermediate temperatures, the amount of blood in the syringe affected the duration of viability. At 22C (71.6F), viable HIV-1 was recovered from some syringes with approximately 2 and 20 ?L of blood for up to 21 and 42 days, respectively.

-http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/410301

If HIV dies in the air, and a needle was used so long ago that anything on it dried out, how would HIV survive on the needle for more then a few days? I know most needle transmissions are use then reuse right after

edit: didn't read the comments above