Which Linux distribution do you prefer? (2014 edition)

Which Linux distribution do you prefer?  

288 members have voted

1. 1. Which Linux distribution do you prefer?

• Debian GNU/Linux
    • Red Hat Enterprise Linux
    • CentOS
    • Fedora
    • Arch Linux
    • (K|X|L)-Ubuntu
    • Mint
    • Gentoo
    • Slackware
    • Mandrake
    • Mageia
    • openSUSE
    • Other (specify in reply).
    • I roll my own distribution.
    • Elementary OS

Ubuntu for desktop. I actually really like Unity, despite others who seem to hate it. I use Zentyal Community Edition on several servers and networking appliances. It is built on top of Ubuntu Server though..

I just found a flash loop which made me laugh.

Arch linux summed up: http://z0r.de/5251

You need to try Chakra. http://www.chakra-project.org/

Follow these directions here to access GTK apps: http://chakra-linux.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?id=11338

then installing stuff is as easy as typing ccr foo_application

I have been running it for about 6 months now and I honestly have no complaints. It has a very polished KDE experience. :)

Have to be honest and say I don't use desktop Linux, but my go-to for a nice painless server setup is Ubuntu Server 12.04 LTS. Really like it. 

I would have to say Debian if you know what you doing i personal hate Ubuntu  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

+1 for Chakra linux.

Not the distro I'm using atm, but I used it for a long time and I really liked it.

Arch based, KDE only (which is a good and bad thing), rolling updates, I actually did a review about it two years ago.

I've been kinda septic to try it again because isn't as easy to get it ready for android development, most tutorials out there are for ubuntu based distros.   

You need to try Chakra. http://www.chakra-project.org/

Follow these directions here to access GTK apps: http://chakra-linux.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?id=11338

then installing stuff is as easy as typing ccr foo_application

I have been running it for about 6 months now and I honestly have no complaints. It has a very polished KDE experience. :)

• 4 weeks later...

In my opinion the best is - elementary OS

I've been trying this OS for a while and I must say Im really impressed with it.

The UI look a little bit like Mac OS but it won't bother you at all.

It's sleek, modern and easy to use. I would recommend elementary specially for newbies. I've used Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Open Suse but elementary was by far the best I've ever used. Like the website says "it's the future of Linux.

After running Debian derivatives over the years I decided a short time ago to try Debian stable. It is a little more complicated to set up but once you get it going it is rock solid and dependable (albeit with older software and kernel though). Can't wait for Jessie to go stable :)

Debian was my first Linux Dist. I tried out. I switched to *ubuntu, works like Debian with newer packages.

Exactly one of the reasons I've migrated to Ubuntu.  It has the same package manager and is based on Debian, but with more frequent updates, newer versions of available software, a more active community, and more support from 3rd party developers for things like Steam.

I still like Debian, but even in a server situation I think I would just use Ubuntu server edition.

Exactly one of the reasons I've migrated to Ubuntu.  It has the same package manager and is based on Debian, but with more frequent updates, newer versions of available software, a more active community, and more support from 3rd party developers for things like Steam.

I still like Debian, but even in a server situation I think I would just use Ubuntu server edition.

Steam works flawlessly on Debian. It's just a bit tricky getting it up.

Still using archlinux here since 2006.

With the introduction of systemd, it is a whole lot better now.

It's just a bit tricky getting it up.

you have that issue too? lol

sorry backon topic

I still use Debian also using it on server now too

I can't decide. I am considering wiping my MSI gaming laptop and am trying to decide between Mint (with Cinnamon), openSUSE, or Ubuntu. Visually, I love openSUSE's look with Mint second and Ubuntu third but unlike the Mint/Ubuntu distros, I don't have that much experience with openSUSE on the other side. Question though, will Steam run on openSUSE?

you have that issue too? lol

sorry backon topic

I still use Debian also using it on server now too

Yeah, I got it working, just after a little Googleing. :)

But yeah, back on topic...

I like Debian, for its stability, but I'm on #!Crunchbang right now. Based on Debian, uses same repositories. Openbox just... works.. for what I do.

I can't decide. I am considering wiping my MSI gaming laptop and am trying to decide between Mint (with Cinnamon), openSUSE, or Ubuntu. Visually, I love openSUSE's look with Mint second and Ubuntu third but unlike the Mint/Ubuntu distros, I don't have that much experience with openSUSE on the other side. Question though, will Steam run on openSUSE?

you can install the KDE Plasma desktop in Debian :)